Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.16.3 released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that was short lived. Already got 2022.20.5. Have had 2022.16.3 for not even 4 days
There's been crazy churn on the releases since 12.2. Been watching closely, looking for a longer term stable release, which I can usually find by looking for one that breaks 10k fleet (on Teslafi) and stays there a while.

Now they're peaking around 4-6k and then flipping on a new version every few days.

Interesting times.

Reactions: Transformer
yep....mine came in and automatically started to download without asking me.....it is stuck ay 50%.....I did hard reboot and it came back at 50%...still spinning wheel on at at 50%.......dont know what to do now
You will not be asked for a download, the car will download updates as soon as it gets a wifi connection. You will be asked before installing. That's the important part, so you choose when your car is undriveable for 30minutes.

I am currently on version 2022.12.16.
Yesterday I saw that I have an available update 2022.16.3.
The update started downloading but it stopped on 50% for few hours and at the end it disappeared. Today in the morning there was no more available update, but I am still on 2022.12.16.
The whole time the car was connected to Wi-Fi .
I hope it will be pushed again.

How long between new firmware installs does tesla wait to push out the next?
Whenever the hamsters in the internet pipes feel like it.

Really, whenever. Sometimes a month or 6 weeks with no updates, sometimes (rarely) 3 in one week.

Depends on too many things to predict.

Main releases are supposed to be every 4 weeks maybe?2022.12, .16, .20 (number is the week of the year), but they push out dot updates whenever (.16.2, .16.3..16.¯\_(ツ)_/¯) they need to if there are bug fixes.

It's total chaos and no one at Tesla ever says anything definitive about it.

You're the first one I've seen that has it so far.
Yeah, I wasn’t expecting it. Here’s the release note. Car is a May-2019 build.
50F5B09D-A2D8-4977-B51C-AE9180B5AD5E.jpeg

It's total chaos and no one at Tesla ever says anything definitive about it.
Quite the contrary. Chaos is companies like VW who have yet to issue any software updates despite proclaiming how easily they’d do it.

What’s going on behind the scenes at Tesla is actually remarkable - features ship, often in small groups or isolation, when they’re complete and tested. I’d expect there are hundreds or thousands of developers in many teams at Tesla and it’s massively complicated.

An efficient and modern software development organization can get out tested and stable releases amongst all that complexity with decent regularity.

Less effective, more old fashioned ones are constantly trying to herd their cats and get everything tested and stable so they can get out one big release with lots of things in it, because it seems easier. However in that approach I f any one (or likely multiple) things goes wrong with feature/bugfix implementation, the whole release is held up. Scale that up and you never release anything - see most legacy automakers trying to mimic Tesla.

So, regular, generally stable and valuable releases is nothing short of a miracle at this level of scale and complexity.

So, regular, generally stable and valuable releases is would be nothing short of a miracle at this level of scale and complexity.
I agree, generally stable valuable releases would be a miracle.

And all your talk about what a well organized machine Tesla's software dev is?

lol

I've know personally several engineers who worked there, some only 10 months (and had 5 managers in that 10 months) most a few years, one over 10 years.

That is not how they've characterized the organization, and that's as specific as I'll get about that.

They all said they were always in awe of how positively the outside world regarded Tesla development. Seeing how the sausage is actually made gives you a different view of it.

[edit to add: most all of them own Teslas and all agree they're the best cars you can get]

Last edited:
The end product is quite good in many ways and I think you have to be blind to see that. The physical one, anyway. The public relations and customer service side of the house, of which the software update program definitely is a part or at least overlaps on the Venn diagram, has huge problems.

I am currently on version 2022.12.16.
Yesterday I saw that I have an available update 2022.16.3.
The update started downloading but it stopped on 50% for few hours and at the end it disappeared. Today in the morning there was no more available update, but I am still on 2022.12.16.
The whole time the car was connected to Wi-Fi .
I hope it will be pushed again.
After couple of days the update was available once again, it has been successfully downloaded and installed.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX