Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.20.5 Homelink button change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had 2022.20.5 installed and noticed it changed my Homelink button labels. Now all the buttons are labeled “Activate” as opposed to the label names I assigned them. The label names now appear is much smaller gray text under the button (see attached photo). So now you have to look very closely to see the button label. Granted I should have them memorized but the seems to be a very stupid change to something that was working. This change would be analogous to labeling every key on a computer keyboard “Type” and putting the letter or symbol as a tiny dim label on the side of the key. This is NOT good user interface design. I’m not sure what problem they are fixing by changing a button to say “Activate”.

Since Tesla has no easy way to provide feedback on changes like this, I‘m posting this here to see what the community thinks and maybe someone from Tesla will see this and provide the inept GUI programmer some feedback on this change.

7DB656F9-B349-4FD8-A152-BADE65D8DC8F.jpeg

This has been seriously broken since V11, and still doesn’t work properly again 6 months later. This used to work flawlessly for me before, but my garage which is right after a gate only pops up about 50% of the time now and forces me to click 3 times now to get the door open when the button doesn’t show up on its own.

This activate / deactivate thing is a dual edge sword since V11 as whatever is put below the button is simply ridiculously small, and this was a lot clearer in the menu before.

I have one gate I need to “deactivate” when I’m leaving so it won’t open, so this will be helpful there, but I agree if there are more than one button showing this is crazy.

“maybe someone from Tesla will see this and provide the inept GUI programmer some feedback on this change.”

I don’t think they care about what we think.
I’m afraid you are correct. I double checked the release notes on this update and no mention of this change. As usual they change things and don’t tell you about it. I just think how awesome Tesla products would be if they would listen to their customers.

I just had 2022.20.5 installed and noticed it changed my Homelink button labels.
Sidebar . . . I'm still on 16.3 but was wondering, if the blindspot camera preview box still covers up the Homelink buttons when you use the turn signal with 20.5? It worked great when it was introduced, then an update broke it, then it was fixed later and has been broken now for several updates.

I also have 3 labeled Homelink buttons and am curious to see what happens when I get 2002.20.5.

I noticed it too. I don’t like it.

I wonder if it’s a Safety issue though.

Just imagine Someone (a friend as a Prank) labels their Homelink buttons

Park
Air Bag
Defrost
Wipers

Generally you don’t want end users to be able to set Labels on buttons.

Reactions: BDV300
So we were driving tonight & noticed dashcam was off & not recording.

Slacker streaming asked us to log-in.

And Homelink button asked us to activate.

So we rebooted upon our return even as Homelink automatically opened our garage for us despite above notification.

So now... dumb dumb dumb:
The Homelink button @ bottom of left 'driver's pane' has now moved back up to the top as a house icon.

Agggg. Totally buggy release this 2022.20.5 version.

Reactions: navguy12
I haven't received .20 software yet, so I don't know for sure, but I think I'd prefer the updated way where the actual button function is in the larger font on the button itself.

I generally didn't have any problems with V11 since it first arrived, but one of the things I didn't like was that the Homelink button's actual function was on the small grey font under the buttons and wished it was reversed. So I guess I'll be getting what I asked for and hopefully it works better for me as I had imagined.

Reactions: TunaBug and VQTRVA
So we were driving tonight & noticed dashcam was off & not recording.

Slacker streaming asked us to log-in.

And Homelink button asked us to activate.

So we rebooted upon our return even as Homelink automatically opened our garage for us despite above notification.

So now... dumb dumb dumb:
The Homelink button @ bottom of left 'driver's pane' has now moved back up to the top as a house icon.

Agggg. Totally buggy release this 2022.20.5 version.
UPDATE:
2022.20.6 came last night to my Y & the Homelink button was moved back to the left side lower driver's pane.
And it says 'Home'. 😁

All is well again.

UPDATE:
2022.20.6 came last night to my Y & the Homelink button was moved back to the left side lower driver's pane.
And it says 'Home'. 😁

All is well again.
UPDATE2:
2022.20.6 came to my 3 last night g they moved the Homelink up the the top as a green House icon again.
But this time actually tapping that green icon brings back the Big Grey Button in the driver's pane.

Odd.

I just had 2022.20.5 installed and noticed it changed my Homelink button labels. Now all the buttons are labeled “Activate” as opposed to the label names I assigned them. The label names now appear is much smaller gray text under the button (see attached photo). So now you have to look very closely to see the button label. Granted I should have them memorized but the seems to be a very stupid change to something that was working. This change would be analogous to labeling every key on a computer keyboard “Type” and putting the letter or symbol as a tiny dim label on the side of the key. This is NOT good user interface design. I’m not sure what problem they are fixing by changing a button to say “Activate”.

Since Tesla has no easy way to provide feedback on changes like this, I‘m posting this here to see what the community thinks and maybe someone from Tesla will see this and provide the inept GUI programmer some feedback on this change.

View attachment 826627
Found your post credited here too.

Found your post credited here too.

I sent a link to @SparkyTX 's post to notaateslaapp.com so he could add it to the list of changes in his 2022.20.6 release list. It wasn't in his list originally. Glad he credited SparkyTX.

Yes, if you use the blindspot camera preview, it covers up the HomeLink buttons with the camera preview when you use the turn signal.

UPDATE:
And it says 'Home'. 😁

All is well again.
I just updated to 2022.20.6 and my button name has been changed to "activate." The actual name is below the button in tiny letters where "activate" used to be. This UI change is garbage - is this a bug, or did someone actually think this would be an enhancement?

Reactions: Mark57
I just updated to 2022.20.6 and my button name has been changed to "activate." The actual name is below the button in tiny letters where "activate" used to be. This UI change is garbage - is this a bug, or did someone actually think this would be an enhancement?
I don't know what they are doing in this case. I work in the IT industry and as a person that programmed user interfaces at one point in my life, this makes no sense to me. Seems to me that actually labeling the button for what it activates is more intuitive that what they have done. I hate to say it but I'm older with corrected vision and Tesla constantly shrinking the text on the center display just hacks me off. A while back they shrunk down the speedometer and other indicators but didn't really regain that much space. That made no sense to me too. If you are not going to have a display behind the steering wheel, at least make that information easily viewable with your peripheral vision on the center display. I feel that the people that design this stuff never actually drive the car. I'm willing to bet focus groups don't exist at Tesla.

The actual name is below the button in tiny letters where "activate" used to be. This UI change is garbage - is this a bug, or did someone actually think this would be an enhancement?

Ass backward button label logic. ABBLL for short. It's obvious to all vehicle drivers the button is for activation. What's not obvious to the 12 year old programmer sitting at a brightly illuminated desk that can't even drive a vehicle bigger than an electric scooter is "what" that big azz button is activating. Perfectly legit 180° off logic. He/she probably got a gold star on their juice box. Kidding aside, stupid change and in a tiny gray font to boot.

Ass backward button label logic. ABBLL for short. It's obvious to all vehicle drivers the button is for activation. What's not obvious to the 12 year old programmer sitting at a brightly illuminated desk that can't even drive a vehicle bigger than an electric scooter is "what" that big azz button is activating. Perfectly legit 180° off logic. He/she probably got a gold star on their juice box. Kidding aside, stupid change and in a tiny gray font to boot.
Ha Ha! You just went where I was afraid to go. I really question Tesla's processes and design methodology. I work in Healthcare IT and can you imagine if these folks built a device that controlled an MRI machine with control buttons labeled like this? I think I'm beginning to understand why the full self driving is taking so long. I think Tesla owners are the QA for their design team.