Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.20.6 Cabin Camera and Autopilot Nags

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2022.20.6 ready to install but I'm holding off.. The release notes talk about more use of the cabin camera to make sure I'm actually paying attention (which I AM!) Until someone can reassure me, with actual experience with this firmware, that the cabin camera can either 1) be turned off or 2) can remain covered by tape while still allowing full use of autopilot, I don't want to risk installation. I had to cover my camera a few months back because of unreasonable, persistent nags. Can anyone confirm that installing 2022.20.6 will not ruin my AP experience via Cabin Camera nags?

I mean, do you honestly think you can hold off forever and ever in not updating the software? Like this update here..this one..is the one you want to die on and miss out on ALL OTHER future upgrades/features?

I have 2022.20.6 ready to install but I'm holding off.. The release notes talk about more use of the cabin camera to make sure I'm actually paying attention (which I AM!) Until someone can reassure me, with actual experience with this firmware, that the cabin camera can either 1) be turned off or 2) can remain covered by tape while still allowing full use of autopilot, I don't want to risk installation. I had to cover my camera a few months back because of unreasonable, persistent nags. Can anyone confirm that installing 2022.20.6 will not ruin my AP experience via Cabin Camera nags?
Cabin camera will be required for FSD, and soon for AP. Others have experienced problems with it and required having their cabin cameras replaced by service.

Dirty Tesla tested and seemed to more or less determine that Tesla isn't really using yet. BUT like 2101guy says you can't hold off forever. So it's probably more of a test in this update and will become more active in future updates.

I'll also add that I have never had a problem, alert or noticed any camera monitoring issues using Beta.

Reactions: Dewg

Get one of the sliding webcam covers from Amazon for a couple bucks. I'm not particularly paranoid about it, but I can cover the interior camera whenever I want and the texture of the one I got actually matches perfectly with the camera / rearview mirror housing. Not the best picture, but you get the idea. Much better than electrical tape :)

1658265015205.png

Get one of the sliding webcam covers from Amazon for a couple bucks. I'm not particularly paranoid about it, but I can cover the interior camera whenever I want and the texture of the one I got actually matches perfectly with the camera / rearview mirror housing. Not the best picture, but you get the idea. Much better than electrical tape :)
If you cover the camera then AP will no longer work. So that is pointless.

If you cover the camera then AP will no longer work. So that is pointless.

AP works fine with the camera covered. Is there any model year / configuration where that's not the case? You get wheel torque nags regardless. Those are the only mandatory, non-defeatable nag (unless you count wheel weights or something). You just don't *also* get nagged for looking out the window or glancing at your phone with the camera covered (not that those have ever really been an issue for me anyway).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
AP works fine with the camera covered.
Did work. If you have the Beta now AP or Beta will no longer work with the camera coved. Put your hand over the camera and try and engage and it will NOT work. The same is happening with the standard 20.xx updates and the camera can NOT be covered or obstructed.

EDIT: If memory serves me when we first got the Cabin Camera in Notes on Beta it was not active. I think it was the next update that it became active. So you may have one more update before the camera is required.

IMG_0364.jpeg

Interesting, thanks I hadn't seen that. You're talking about regular AP, right, not with FSD beta engaged where that's been the case for a long time?

The cabin camera release notes look the same to me as they've looked since that was introduced, but I'm assuming from your comment it's now a hard lockout from even regular AP if covered?

Interesting, thanks I hadn't seen that. You're talking about regular AP, right, not with FSD beta engaged where that's been the case for a long time?

The cabin camera release notes look the same to me as they've looked since that was introduced, but I'm assuming from your comment it's now a hard lockout from even regular AP if covered?
Are you on 20.6 (what the tread is about)? According to TeslaFi it is now included.

I'm on Beta so I can't say for sure about the standard release and going by what the OP said and others and just looked to confirm on TeslaFi.

EDIT: After looking it may only be the X and S on this update. Maybe the Y and 3 get a reprieve for an update or 2. Again I'm on Beta so I can't confirm what is on the standard software.

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 6.42.29 PM.png

Last edited:
Good catch about it only being related to S or X models. Can anyone confirm? Also, I wonder if I need my cabin camera adjusted. When I did have it uncovered I was getting constant nags to the point where even changing audio sources was difficult. My car is now outside of warranty. Would I have to pay for that? Seems crazy if I do. They upload software to my car, it causes a problem, and I'd have to pay to have it fixed? I hope not!

I never did a test like this before, but it felt like the AP nag interval has typically been around 30 seconds since I got my MYLR. I now have 2022.20.7 and during a freeway drive yesterday I was able to get consistent nag intervals of 1:45 with my hands resting on my knees, no sunglasses, and making sure I was looking out the front window. This happened at least 5 times. If I looked around or interacted with the touch screen like I normally do, the interval went down to around 45 seconds. I didn't have a long enough drive to see the difference between sunglasses on/off.

Is this longer interval something that's always been there, or is it new with the cabin camera update? Are others seeing this behavior too?

Are you referring to steering wheel (torque) nag or cabin camera (pay attention) nag?
The steering wheel nag. I’ve subsequently upgraded to 2022.20.8 and the max interval I’ve seen is now 1:15 with some steering wheel nags of only 15 seconds when on a two-lane country road. I am not able to achieve a longer than normal (around 30 seconds) nag interval when wearing polarized sunglasses.

The steering wheel nag. I’ve subsequently upgraded to 2022.20.8 and the max interval I’ve seen is now 1:15 with some steering wheel nags of only 15 seconds when on a two-lane country road. I am not able to achieve a longer than normal (around 30 seconds) nag interval when wearing polarized sunglasses.
On today's trip, on a divided two lane highway, in heavy stop and go traffic 5-15mph, I was getting torque AP nags immediately upon letting go of the steering wheel, as in less than a second after letting go.

I did just get updated to Tesla Vision and do have my internal camera taped over. It was almost rage inducing nag levels. No forced disengagements preceding either.

In the past in slow traffic I could go MINUTES without a nag.

So far, I hate it.