Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.20.9 Model S Active noise cancelling Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 2022.20.9 last night and this morning I noticed weird noise when the car is driving above 10 MPH, I initially thought road noise due to tire pressures, then I noticed the sound is actually coming from the speakers, I did cancel the ANR and the sound stopped.

I did reboot the car, and the ANR stuck in calibration phase for a 20 minutes ( it stuck in a loop of 20% -> 40% -> 60% then back to 20% for a while), the sound came back after the 20 min of calibration. .

Not sure if other are seeing this issue with this software update before I open service request with Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark II
Yep. ARNR is broken on these cars. I'd recommend leaving it off, and never having it on. It ranges from imperceptible improvement to slight or heavy noise introduction through the speakers. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's an absolute joke, and should be removed from the feature list of the new S as it doesn't work.

Let your car go fully to sleep over a number of hours, and it should resolve the major noise introduction you're experiencing. Let us know how you get on.

Yep. ARNR is broken on these cars. I'd recommend leaving it off, and never having it on. It ranges from imperceptible improvement to slight or heavy noise introduction through the speakers. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's an absolute joke, and should be removed from the feature list of the new S as it doesn't work.

Let your car go fully to sleep over a number of hours, and it should resolve the major noise introduction you're experiencing. Let us know how you get on.
And a joke of biblical proportions, at that - like FSD, robotaxis, vibration feature, etc.

I did. But I read the brake pedal does nothing. Never in 4 years have I seen it make a difference. But I still push it.

Yeah you don't need the brake. Let the car sleep a while (no Sentry etc). I had an issue last week where my front passenger lumbar just stopped working after some adjustments were made. Rebooting the car did nothing. Had to wait a few hours/let it sleep, and then all electronics for the lumbar started working again.

This may or may not help your specific issue, but there are a couple of ways to get a deeper reset:

1. Tire Config or language - Change either of these in the UI, and it causes a complete and deep reset of the system. It's a deeper reset than the scroll wheels;
2. 12v reset - Disconnect your 12v battery for a few minutes, then reconnect it.

I'd recommend trying #1 first, as it doesn't require any disassembly.

I got 2022.20.9 last night and this morning I noticed weird noise when the car is driving above 10 MPH, I initially thought road noise due to tire pressures, then I noticed the sound is actually coming from the speakers, I did cancel the ANR and the sound stopped.

I did reboot the car, and the ANR stuck in calibration phase for a 20 minutes ( it stuck in a loop of 20% -> 40% -> 60% then back to 20% for a while), the sound came back after the 20 min of calibration. .

Not sure if other are seeing this issue with this software update before I open service request with Tesla.

Thanks for posting this!

I am still on 2022.12.3.20 and it seems fine. At least now when I get the upgrade I will know what the problem is and how to fix it!

Agreed. Junk, with a capital “J”!
Funny how Tesla continues to waste their time with useless road noise reduction hardware that does absolutely nothing except worsen the driving experience, but yet removes the parking sensors before there's a viable vision alternative.

As always, this is my go-to image. Carry on, Tesla.

1681523600356.jpeg

Bummer to hear that it’s so bad.

Has anyone tried the Genesis G90 with ANC? In general ANC gives me the feeling of “eardrum suck” so I am a little skeptical of the approach, but who knows.
I haven't, but considering Tesla's approach does at best - absolutely nothing, and at worst, makes the car sound broken (as in the prior videos), I can best advise you to not even put this feature under consideration. Take that from someone who has used ANC headphones for years and years. I'm amazed there hasn't been legal action against Tesla for false advertising yet, but that's true of many things surrounding Tesla and features promised versus features actually received after purchase.

Funny how Tesla continues to waste their time with useless road noise reduction hardware that does absolutely nothing except worsen the driving experience, but yet removes the parking sensors before there's a viable vision alternative.

As always, this is my go-to image. Carry on, Tesla.

View attachment 928513
And their “junk” is always intentionally left unfinished and in “beta” status, in perpetuity - like they know it’s junk and want you to suffer with said junk until the end of days.