Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.20.9 - Tesla Vision impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is precisely why I'm not interested in the FSD beta. It is not worth me having to alter my driving to drive like a monk and be criticized by Tesla in order to get into the beta. I'd rather enjoy driving my car. When they release it to the masses and don't require "sterile" driving, I'll reconsider.

Mike
That was my thinking too, until my car downloaded 2022.24.6 with vision only. I'm just hoping by getting my ticket in before the wide release of 10.69.2, maybe I'll only have to do it for a week or two before being let in with 10.69.2.

If I don't get in on that version, I'll probably opt out again as I'm not waiting / granny driving for a few more months waiting for the next induction of FSD Beta testers.

Elon said that when FSD Beta goes to wide release, anyone who wants it will be able to get it, so the safety score will no longer matter. So, no harm in requesting the beta now, even if you don't get it until it goes to the masses. It's not clear that anyone who isn't already a beta tester will get the beta before that happens anyway, regardless of score.

Reactions: sandman1330
So, no harm in requesting the beta now, even if you don't get it until it goes to the masses.

If you don't want to dump $15,000 for it and decide to try the $200/mo option, the "harm" in not getting it until wide release would be paying for it and not having it... until the wide release. And assuming there even is a wide release. That's 4 mo, 6 mo, or more paying for something that doesn't exist.

Mike

If you don't want to dump $15,000 for it and decide to try the $200/mo option, the "harm" in not getting it until wide release would be paying for it and not having it... until the wide release. And assuming there even is a wide release. That's 4 mo, 6 mo, or more paying for something that doesn't exist.

Mike
I thought you already had FSD but didn't want to request the beta because of the safety score. If you don't already have FSD, of course it's not worth paying for just for the chance of getting the beta.

Did everyone get something in their release notes regarding Tesla vision? I just got 2022.20.9 and only lists car Colorizer. Late 2016 S, hw3, fsd, upgraded cameras.
When I installed 2022.20.9 on my 2018 S, there was a Speed Assist release note that mentioned the Tesla Vision change. I don’t know if it matters, but did you also upgrade the MCU in your car? Maybe you had to for the other upgrades.

The same way you do.
Meaning...not at all...in which case *human drivers* then know to fall back on experience, understanding of the effects of precipitation, road feel, vibration, the and other inputs and methods that aren't available to the Tesla software at all.

Tesla's "neural net" training is an attempt to overcome this shortfall, but which all evidence indicates is only partly successful in replacing the many, many additional inputs and training that go into a human driver's reactions that are not currently available to most autonomy systems. This is why every other manufacturer (except one...Hyundai I think?) has abandoned camera-only driver autonomy aids and relies on multi-sensor fusion. Plummeting prices in high-resolution automotive radar and LIDAR make this even more tractable than ever. Even Elon Musk himself has admitted radar actually helps, and Tesla has quietly submitted a new radar unit, ready to go in production packaging, for FCC approval. ;^)

Meaning...not at all...in which case *human drivers* then know to fall back on experience, understanding of the effects of precipitation, road feel, vibration, the and other inputs and methods that aren't available to the Tesla software at all.

Tesla's "neural net" training is an attempt to overcome this shortfall, but which all evidence indicates is only partly successful in replacing the many, many additional inputs and training that go into a human driver's reactions that are not currently available to most autonomy systems. This is why every other manufacturer (except one...Hyundai I think?) has abandoned camera-only driver autonomy aids and relies on multi-sensor fusion. Plummeting prices in high-resolution automotive radar and LIDAR make this even more tractable than ever. Even Elon Musk himself has admitted radar actually helps, and Tesla has quietly submitted a new radar unit, ready to go in production packaging, for FCC approval. ;^)
In a strange way, this reminds me of the V11 debacle. Remember how they removed the AC and seat heaters because it was better? Just to bring them back after 6-7 months.
I would not be surprised if a year from now they bring the radar back as part of a touted upgrade.
Job security, I guess - break it and then be proud of fixing it. Unfortunately, they may forget to fix it for “legacy” models.
They should really focus on building an awesome EV and let someone else deal with the software/AI.

Pretty sure they have all that at their disposal, even if they are not using all of it right now. Longitudinal and lateral G sensors can detect vibration. Cameras combined with wheel speed sensors can "feel" the road better than you do. Probably the only thing they don't have is the sense of smell and taste. But I'm sure 8 cameras > 2 eyes in most cases too so they may be able to make up for the loss of those. ;)

Mike

Pretty sure they have all that at their disposal, even if they are not using all of it right now. Longitudinal and lateral G sensors can detect vibration. Cameras combined with wheel speed sensors can "feel" the road better than you do. Probably the only thing they don't have is the sense of smell and taste. But I'm sure 8 cameras > 2 eyes in most cases too so they may be able to make up for the loss of those. ;)

Mike
Not sure how voice recognition works exactly but they could use the microphone for emergency vehicles.
On MS they use the suspension compression sensors to adjust the ride height on rough road.
Cameras are pretty bad at recognizing potholes and other relatively small objects on the road.

So, first time driving my refresh S with Vision on a trip using AP/FSD non beta. For the most part it seemed similar to before, but on Ohio Turnpike road construction it was much worse. There were no cars in front of me or in either lanes for a long ways, except orange barrels in the third lane and the car would constantly slow down for no reason and then speed up again. Felt very dangerous, so turned it off and did not start AP up again until I was past road construction.

Anyone else experience this? Never had issues like that before Vision.

• Helpful
Reactions: Boza
I recently posted that I didn't see much difference before/after radar but it was raining today and boy was that a difference! I wax my windshield so water just rolls off at speeds of 50+ MPH; I never use my wipers at those speeds because it's actually clearer without using them. But with Tesla Vision, the wipers are required and you can't even have the wipers off if you are using cruise control (without auto steer). Any attempt to turn on even the cruise when it is raining results in the wipers maxing out to full speed even with only a light rain and they are locked on. That is beyond annoying! I guess I knew this about vision but had never experienced it firsthand. I ended up driving manually the whole time in the rain to avoid having the wipers go at 100% speed for just a little rain.

I guess it would help if the auto-wipers weren't absolute garbage but they are. The auto function just doesn't work as it should. Never has.

Mike

• Helpful
Reactions: Boza
I recently posted that I didn't see much difference before/after radar but it was raining today and boy was that a difference! I wax my windshield so water just rolls off at speeds of 50+ MPH; I never use my wipers at those speeds because it's actually clearer without using them. But with Tesla Vision, the wipers are required and you can't even have the wipers off if you are using cruise control (without auto steer). Any attempt to turn on even the cruise when it is raining results in the wipers maxing out to full speed even with only a light rain and they are locked on. That is beyond annoying! I guess I knew this about vision but had never experienced it firsthand. I ended up driving manually the whole time in the rain to avoid having the wipers go at 100% speed for just a little rain.

I guess it would help if the auto-wipers weren't absolute garbage but they are. The auto function just doesn't work as it should. Never has.

Mike
Thank you! That was one of my main concerns about TV. They fooled me once with Sonic; this time I will hold my ground.

Mike
Wow, that's trash. I use Aquapel on my windshield and also drive wiperless on the highway. Seems like a wiper kill switch would be useful to kill the power to the wiper motor when you don't want AP intervening.

With Tesla Vision, I am not forced to use auto wipers while on AP. Tested in the rain the other day. Did not need to even have them on while in AP. Definitely had my radar turned off but sure why auto highs and wipers are not required. It did lower speed to 85 and also will not allow following of 1.

• Informative
Reactions: beatle
With Tesla Vision, I am not forced to use auto wipers while on AP. Tested in the rain the other day. Did not need to even have them on while in AP. Definitely had my radar turned off but sure why auto highs and wipers are not required. It did lower speed to 85 and also will not allow following of 1.

That's strange. Maybe the rain sensing just wasn't working or it wasn't raining hard enough or you have to be going over a certain speed? I have my wipers in the OFF position by rule and was surprised when I engaged AP that my wipers came on. I brought up the wiper UI and tried off, 1, 2, etc. and it wouldn't allow it. As soon as you tap "Off" for example, you see a brief flash in the Off position but it overrides and switches immediately back to Auto. Does that even if you only engage cruise and not AP.

Edit: Mine is a 2021 with radar in case the MY matters.

Mike