Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.20 Enables Green Light Chime Without EAP/FSD!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the new software update 2022.20 enables green light chime without EAP/FSD!!! I’ve been waiting for this for a long time and could not justify paying $12k for a ding!

C4599577-FE0B-4A61-907D-99305692808E.jpeg

So if the Ding only works on AP3. Why wouldn't a portion of it at least work on AP2.5 like if you're behind a car at the light and they move fwd from a stop?. AP2.5 may not be able to see Traffic lights but it certainly can see other cars ahead of it.
Good point plus traffic light data comes from maps too. Bc it tells me about upcoming light way before light is actually visible!

So if the Ding only works on AP3. Why wouldn't a portion of it at least work on AP2.5 like if you're behind a car at the light and they move fwd from a stop?. AP2.5 may not be able to see Traffic lights but it certainly can see other cars ahead of it.
Forgive my ignorance but, if AP2.5 can't see lights, how would it know you're stopped behind a car at a light? With your suggestion, wouldn't the green light ding go off if you were in stop and go traffic, stopped behind a car for a few moments that then began to move again? I think it would need to identify a light to tell you that it turned green and you wouldn't want it dinging at you just because the car ahead began to move (regardless of context)

Forgive my ignorance but, if AP2.5 can't see lights, how would it know you're stopped behind a car at a light? With your suggestion, wouldn't the green light ding go off if you were in stop and go traffic, stopped behind a car for a few moments that then began to move again? I think it would need to identify a light to tell you that it turned green and you wouldn't want it dinging at you just because the car ahead began to move (regardless of context)
AHh you bring up a very good point. I didn't even think of that. Thank you!

I think the green light chime is a great feature now that I have 2022.20.5 installed. I remember thinking it was a neat feature when I first noticed it while test driving an id.4 last year. If Tesla had offered it at a "reasonable" price like maybe $100, I'd have gone for it.

It would be nice if it also worked when there is a car in front of you at the red light. If the Tesla can't sense the green light from there, then just chime when that car starts moving.

I'll join the chorus and say it is great having a car that regularly updates to improve features and add new ones. In my experience, the traditional car companies would seldom improve anything in a car you already purchased unless they were forced to due to a safety issue. They also had a nice racket going with just the exorbitant cost of updating an SD card in order to keep their overpriced navigation system up to date.

7F186E8B-622E-4B47-AB75-753F58F18967.jpeg

Got the update this afternoon. I had watched a YouTube video showing a tire configuration setting, but I guess that was only for the Model 3. Used the Green Light Chime on my way home from work and it was nice. If I’m first in line, ding comes almost immediately after light turns green. If I’m behind other cars, the ding happens after the car in front of me moves away a short distance. If I’m in the straight lane and the left turn light turns green, no chime is heard. It is a useful function for when my attention wanders while at the light. The other two updates I’ll just have to take Tesla’s word for them, lol.

One nice thing I've noticed with the new green light chime is that it doesn't dip your music (too much) when it plays. I had subscribed to a month of FSD, just to try it out, and the thing that I liked the most was the green light chime. The only problem was that it dipped the audio really low every time it was activated. With the 2022.20 it seems like they fixed it so that it only dips the audio if it's really loud. I'm very happy indeed with this updated version.

I think the green light chime is a great feature now that I have 2022.20.5 installed. I remember thinking it was a neat feature when I first noticed it while test driving an id.4 last year. If Tesla had offered it at a "reasonable" price like maybe $100, I'd have gone for it.
I owned an ID.4 for a year - it had green light chime?? I used both Carplay and built-in Nav and never noticed this. Do tell...

I owned an ID.4 for a year - it had green light chime?? I used both Carplay and built-in Nav and never noticed this. Do tell...
Sorry if I got that wrong. The ID.4 beeped when the light changed while test driving it and I assumed it was detecting a green light. I mentioned it was a nice feature to the dealer when I got back and he agreed. Now that I think about it, if I had asked about the flying car feature he'd have probably have agreed too.