Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not every release is for every car, but to try and give you some form of an answer...

I got my car 16 months ago and have received 26 software updates over that time period. The longest I've gone between a version for my car being released and receiving it is 15 days. The shortest has been same day. There have been a couple instances of receiving 2 releases in a day. (The average duration over the last 16 months is 6 days after its been released.)

(Note, if you have just received your car from Tesla, you will go 4-6 weeks before you get your first software update. It's kind of a break-in period for your car. It's one less variable for Tesla to have to deal with when troubleshooting if you have an issue.)

I saw that Tesla 2022.20 is rolling out to cars and I haven’t gotten yet. Does anyone know how long it takes to get around to all cars in the US?
You have a lot to learn....
  • Tesla rolls software out in batches over days/weeks
  • Not every version goes to every car
  • There's nothing you can do to get it faster - you'll get it when Tesla flags your car for update
  • Someone will always get a version before you and post about it here so you will always feel "behind"
  • You will get updates. On average, it's about every two weeks. Sometimes a couple of days apart, sometimes a month.
  • At any given moment, there are probably a dozen or so active versions.
A few other things:
  • Software versions are: YYYY.WW.x.y.z
    • YYYY.WW = year and week-of-year that the build was made. So 2022.20 is the build made in the 20th week of 2022.
    • x.y.z are versions of that build. USUALY, but not always, you will see 2022.20, then 2022.20.1, etc. where the first few versions go out to a small number of cars each presumably because Tesla is testing the release to make sure there isn't some issue they need to fix.
    • It takes a while for a version to be tested internally at Tesla before being pushed out to the 'public' - so even though it's currently week 26 of 2022, we're JUST starting to see the week 20 build come out.
  • USUALLY, but not always, new features are only added when the week number changes. (i.e., going from 2022.16.x.y.z to 2022.20.x.y.z). so when only x.y.z changes, don't expect to notice anything new.
  • OTA update weeks are always in the series 4, 8, 12, 16.... up to 48, then the next year starts again with 4. (there may have been an exception or two, but I don't recall any off-hand).
  • When you first get a new car, it will have a "Factory Build" of the software which does not follow the above. It will usually have an odd week number and x.y.z. will be 101.y.z.
  • Anectodatlly, it appears to take up to a month or so for new cars to start getting updates. During that time, they will be in the factory build.
EDIT: If you want to see an indication of current software rollout status. TeslaFi keeps a software tracker showing what versions of software are on each of it's users cars and how updates roll out. This is a fraction of the Tesla fleet, but seems to be statistically representative of what the entire Tesla fleet is doing.

Last edited:
This is not true. Tesla SC can push an update to you. I was on the phone to SC about an issue and they pushed an update to me and also stated it would download now even if I wasn’t on Wi-Fi (I was but interesting to know they can force them over data connection).

What the intent of my post was that you can't refresh, reboot, tap/toggle some settings, etc. In the early days, everyone had a secret ritual that they were SURE made their car get an update immediately - none of which actually work.

You certainly aren't suggesting when someone sees some version here that they don't currently have they should call service to see if they can get it earlier? Or were you trying to win internet points on a technicality?

If it's the latter... My statement is still true. There's nothing the user can do. Tesla service can, but not the user.

What the intent of my post was that you can't refresh, reboot, tap/toggle some settings, etc. In the early days, everyone had a secret ritual that they were SURE made their car get an update immediately - none of which actually work.

You certainly aren't suggesting when someone sees some version here that they don't currently have they should call service to see if they can get it earlier? Or were you trying to win internet points on a technicality?

If it's the latter... My statement is still true. There's nothing the user can do. Tesla service can, but not the user.
Just trying to provide factual information 😉

Not every release is for every car, but to try and give you some form of an answer...

I got my car 16 months ago and have received 26 software updates over that time period. The longest I've gone between a version for my car being released and receiving it is 15 days. The shortest has been same day. There have been a couple instances of receiving 2 releases in a day. (The average duration over the last 16 months is 6 days after its been released.)

(Note, if you have just received your car from Tesla, you will go 4-6 weeks before you get your first software update. It's kind of a break-in period for your car. It's one less variable for Tesla to have to deal with when troubleshooting if you have an issue.)
I got my car on 12/21 and I got the holiday update on 12/24. My friend just picked up a Y performance and got his first update same week. It's not hard and fast rule.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
And also Service won't push it just because you want it.
Eg. If you're on 2022.16.2 and want 2022.20 you'll get told you are on the latest version for your car.
If however you're on 2022.4.x then they'll see that the car is stuck and push an update.

As above it can be weeks after delivery before you get off an odd-numbered delivery version, but equally it can be days