Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See above. It said that while updating the control units both driving and charging were disabled. I have to think that unplugging and the instant completion of the download were connected.
Yes, it looks like the charging module was in use and it couldn't update until you unplugged the charger. After you unplugged, the car could continue with the installation process.
But at this point it wasn't trying to download. It was installing the update. You can interrupt download process at any time, but must wait for update to finish before driving the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Yes, it looks like the charging module was in use and it couldn't update until you unplugged the charger. After you unplugged, the car could continue with the installation process.
But at this point it wasn't trying to download. It was installing the update. You can interrupt download process at any time, but must wait for update to finish before driving the car.
You absolutely are correct. Two different things. But unplugging the car instantly started the the last half of the download.

After I had tried twice, once for 7 hours and then for an hour after fiddling around with Wifi and rebooting. Both times stopped at 50% (it started over when I rebooted). Then I unplugged and off it went.

Yes, could have been coincidental. But really an amazing one if so. I'm hoping someone else tries it. 🤷‍♂️

... music still playing. Is this a known bug in 2022.20.7?
It wasn't known to me but it is now, thanks.
I also think it's interesting that your brand new car had the latest normal branch software build. To my knowledge, that's unusual compared to the normal Tesla practice of the past couple of years. A family member took delivery of a Model 3 last month and it did have the expected three digit "break-in" firmware version, but it updated to a normal branch after just a couple of days - which I thought was pretty good.

It wasn't known to me but it is now, thanks.
I also think it's interesting that your brand new car had the latest normal branch software build. To my knowledge, that's unusual compared to the normal Tesla practice of the past couple of years. A family member took delivery of a Model 3 last month and it did have the expected three digit "break-in" firmware version, but it updated to a normal branch after just a couple of days - which I thought was pretty good.
I was also expecting a factory software build. The S I got in February was stuck on factory software for almost 7 weeks. But looking at the X forums, seems like most recent deliveries are coming with software on the current public branch. I wonder if Tesla is phasing out the factory software versions.

Reactions: DrGriz
I was also expecting a factory software build. The S I got in February was stuck on factory software for almost 7 weeks. But looking at the X forums, seems like most recent deliveries are coming with software on the current public branch. I wonder if Tesla is phasing out the factory software versions.
I have noticed this as well for others since some point in June. I think it reflects Tesla feeling that the current software packages are very reliable, compared to previous packages.

A sort of maturing has occurred. And I would agree. I haven't had things break with newer updates. I know some people have had some (relatively minor) breakages, but nothing like phantom braking...

Reactions: cmy4x4
My 2020 MY installed 2022.20.7 2 days ago. Yesterday, I received a phone call in the car, the audio was very poor and then I could not hang up using the on screen button. The whole screen was frozen. I drove home and rebooted without issue, so far so good. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this for 2022.20?

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
My 2020 MY installed 2022.20.7 2 days ago. Yesterday, I received a phone call in the car, the audio was very poor and then I could not hang up using the on screen button. The whole screen was frozen. I drove home and rebooted without issue, so far so good. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this for 2022.20?
I have made it a habit to reboot after every update. It seems to clear out some of the cobwebs.

Reactions: buddhafree
hey folks, I'm on 2022.20.7 and noticed two things that changed, would like to change them back if possible:

1. When I put the car in reverse, the side mirrors angle down. Could have sworn that was an option when I got the car 3 years ago, but either way I can't figure out how to make them stay in position. Is it possible?
2. My Homelink garage door opener button on the screen used to say the name I assigned each button, on the button itself. Now it says "activate" on the button with small (faint) names I assigned below the button. This is a pretty stupid change, any way to change it back?

hey folks, I'm on 2022.20.7 and noticed two things that changed, would like to change them back if possible:

1. When I put the car in reverse, the side mirrors angle down. Could have sworn that was an option when I got the car 3 years ago, but either way I can't figure out how to make them stay in position. Is it possible?
Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Tilt.
See Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

2. My Homelink garage door opener button on the screen used to say the name I assigned each button, on the button itself. Now it says "activate" on the button with small (faint) names I assigned below the button. This is a pretty stupid change, any way to change it back?
Post on TMC, service chat on Tesla website, tweet to Elon.

This particular software update took much longer to load than in the past. Opened App and saw software update available- took a few mins to reach 50% and stayed there for 30 mins. Checked router that still showed traffic from the car both uploads and downloads. Waited another 30 mins and rebooted car. Still showed 50% with zero download speed from inside the vehicle. But router continued to show traffic.
About another 30 mins later got a software update available message on my phone ( earlier I had opened the app but did not get a separate message) and it started downloading from zero and installed in 15 mins. Strange compared to dozens of earlier software updates.

Reactions: chengka
Sigh. They still haven't gotten the message that these readability degradations are unpopular, unnecessary and unsafe. Tons of UI elements need to go in the other direction. One of the most maddening aspects of this car for me.

I'm afraid this will change omly when Elon himself starts to lose his visual accommodation capability and has to fumble for reading glasses. Should be sometime in the next 10 years.

Or maybe the design fashion theme of tiny, low-contrast, pastel colored text, that has infected the publishing and computer world alike, will finally revert to something more sensible.

I updated to 20.7 a couple days ago. did a couple local drives, then blasted off on a 900 miles roadtrip. The first leg the estimated arrival percentage was wildly inaccurate. like 20% off on a 200 mile leg. After that leg the estimate was 1% or better the rest of the trip! I don't know what they did, but I'm guessing there is a new "calibration" with this update

So, i just installed 2022.20.8 the other day and now my windshield wipers seem to come on at random times. I don't know if it's a shadow or what but it's definitely not raining. At first, I thought it was just a bug or something that had gotten smashed in front of the camera, but it's happened multiple times and there doesn't seem to be anything on the windshield in that area. I've had my MY for 2 years and never had this problem before now and was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this.

Also, I'm getting a large number of "Command not understood" results when I try to use voice commands. In fact, it just sits there for 10 seconds while I yell "Play Yaz" at my car. I must look like a madman to the people around me! In the past I've noticed that I have some cellular "dead spots" in my neighborhood that makes using voice command unreliable, however after the 2022.20 updates it's becoming downright unusable. Again, just wondering if anyone else is seeing this type of performance.