Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’d think reading speed signs was some kind of revolutionary new technology
The problem is the patent and mobile eye owns it. There’s been a lot of effort involved to make it work without infringing it.

I tested the AP by setting it to "current speed" and the car continues to drive at the set speed regardless of the speed limit shown. Is it possible you are long pressing the stalk to constantly accept the proposed speed?
Not constantly but a long press once in a 60 will drop to 50,40,30 as limits change and go back up 40,50,60 but not 70.
If you do a long press in a 30 it won’t rise. So in that sense, you’re right

Reactions: prabhu
The problem is the patent and mobile eye owns it. There’s been a lot of effort involved to make it work without infringing it.

In addition, mobile eye has stopped licensing just the s/w alone and now pushing their entire ADAS stack and swarm cloud services. Any VW owners would tell you that even this is a work in progress.

Reactions: unk45

Patents like this just hold everyone back. It works to the detriment of every company seeking to advance autonomous driving. It would be like allowing a patent for a mouse as a means of controlling a computer, or something.

Patents like this just hold everyone back. It works to the detriment of every company seeking to advance autonomous driving. It would be like allowing a patent for a mouse as a means of controlling a computer, or something.
There was a patent for the mouse. But I understand your point and if it hadn’t expired by the time it became mainstream you would expect FRAND licensing to apply.

The problem with this argument is the cars DO detect speed limit changes, more so now with 2022.20.5, but they don’t adopt the speed limit. Ie it appears to do the bit it shouldn’t and doesn’t do the bit it can.

Secondly, on single carriageway roads it sometimes does both.

Reactions: CWT3LR and up_north
Finally got the update so can see what I make of it.
8220E1DD-4785-4561-9900-1103DF9B6C9B.jpeg

The problem with this argument is the cars DO detect speed limit changes, more so now with 2022.20.5, but they don’t adopt the speed limit. Ie it appears to do the bit it shouldn’t and doesn’t do the bit it can.

Secondly, on single carriageway roads it sometimes does both.
It’s not an argument it’s the facts. That’s part of the reason for the wonky implementation for this specifically anyway.

It’s not an argument it’s the facts. That’s part of the reason for the wonky implementation for this specifically anyway.
I don’t buy it, the patent is no reason for it to either;

1) see a sign and completely ignore it
2) see a sign, adopt the speed and then revert back to the map speed 10 seconds later

This is exactly the problem I face at work too. People in this country think AI is something you can buy at Tescos and return if you don't like it or don't see a use. In contrast, we have many clients in the US and even AU willing to work with us to test and shape the AI+cybersecurity concept; some even became investors.

I'm sorry, I have to chip in here.

When you buy a product or service in the UK, it has to be fit for purpose or a whole raft of consumer rights apply, which entitle you to various remedies. It's called "The Sale of Goods and Services Act 1982". Most people would not pay for a product that wasn't actually available (pre orders accepted) or that didn't work as described by the seller. The exceptions are generally investors, who accept the risk of non delivery for the chance of a return on investment (or are buying equity).

Tesla, of course, know about this and other consumer law, so have worded the description of FSD very carefully in their sales literature (a.k.a "The Tesla Web Site"). If you paid for it and are disappointed, you have my sympathy, but I for one didn't shell out the cash because I knew I could add it later, so why have the up front expense for something that doesn't add any, or much, value? But going back to Tesla and their no doubt extensive knowledge of UK consumer law, I suggest no one has a cat in hell's chance of a successful claim against FSD, because you can't make a claim based on rumour, Elon's tweets (which he can say are his own opinion) or your expectations of what "FSD" is or isn't. There is a slim chance you might win given a dictionary definition of "Full Self Driving" but couldn't Tesla say it's just a trademark and not to be construed as truth?

Auto headlights and windscreen wipers not working as expected might have a better chance. Class action, anyone?

View attachment 827714

My car started downloading 20.5 last night but only got to 50% - when I checked this morning it’s not there and I’m still on 16.3 and no update available???? 🤔
This happened to me a couple of days ago going on to 16.3, long pause at 50% which I left overnight and the update had vanished by morning. It returned yesterday with no problems updating. Service suggested they pulled the update mid download as the only version showing on their system applicable to my car was the one already installed.

Reactions: CoastalEV
I'm sorry, I have to chip in here.

When you buy a product or service in the UK, it has to be fit for purpose or a whole raft of consumer rights apply, which entitle you to various remedies. It's called "The Sale of Goods and Services Act 1982". Most people would not pay for a product that wasn't actually available (pre orders accepted) or that didn't work as described by the seller. The exceptions are generally investors, who accept the risk of non delivery for the chance of a return on investment (or are buying equity).

Tesla, of course, know about this and other consumer law, so have worded the description of FSD very carefully in their sales literature (a.k.a "The Tesla Web Site"). If you paid for it and are disappointed, you have my sympathy, but I for one didn't shell out the cash because I knew I could add it later, so why have the up front expense for something that doesn't add any, or much, value? But going back to Tesla and their no doubt extensive knowledge of UK consumer law, I suggest no one has a cat in hell's chance of a successful claim against FSD, because you can't make a claim based on rumour, Elon's tweets (which he can say are his own opinion) or your expectations of what "FSD" is or isn't. There is a slim chance you might win given a dictionary definition of "Full Self Driving" but couldn't Tesla say it's just a trademark and not to be construed as truth?

Auto headlights and windscreen wipers not working as expected might have a better chance. Class action, anyone?

• Funny
Reactions: JonB and Toblerone