Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An easy one to ignore. How many speed signs or traffic lights for that matter travel at speed. Surely if you are behind a speed sign on a vehicle (or set of traffic lights being transported) and you are doing 50mph, its pretty obvious that its not a static speed sign and can be ignored.

Likewise, wheelie bins, but not sure what effect they have on vehicle behaviour.

I can see it being slightly less straight forward if you pull up behind a vehicle with a speed sign stuck on the back, or transporting a set of traffic lights so they will be static, but tracking the objects and/or position of objects close to a vehicle is probably a clue that these are not valid objects. Unless Tesla cannot tell the difference between a speed sign/traffic light positioned at the back of a vehicle in the middle of a carriage way from those to the side or above.

Hopefully the problem will largely go away when we get single stack and speed signs in adjacent roads can hopefully be seen in the context of position and not just as some discreet visual item with no spatial context.
I’ve seen people put “20” roundels on their bins, saying “20’s Plenty” underneath or something. The car could pick these up, and there isn’t (as far as I know) any law against doing it.

Genuinely interested in the view of someone who has seen both in some detail.

Would you say the UK - given its propensity to use the same roads that the Romans built for us - has worse or better roads in terms of layout, maintenance, "clutter"? And are US drivers better or worse than UK?
I just got back from 2 weeks in England where I drove a Model 3 and I think it's probably a toss up. I was really impressed with the signage and layout of (most) of the roads in England. The M & A roads were particularly well laid out with signs clearly telling you which lane was a turning lane and which was a through lane. They even have "countdown" signs telling you how close you were to an upcoming exit. I also liked the split exit ramp lanes (or whatever they are called); it seems like a good way to deal with congestion. The downsides, of course, were the country roads with their impossibly sharp corners and tiny lanes and huge hedges. If FSD can deal with those I would be amazed.

The US has the opposite problem. Our expressways are terrible; super wide (5+ lanes each way), non-uniform speed, inconsistent signage, and uneven road surfaces top the list for me. On the other hand our neighborhood streets are generally wide and straight and clearly marked.

Of course there are exceptions in both cases, but this is my viewpoint as a very experienced US driver and a recently, but temporarily, UK driver.

Genuinely interested in the view of someone who has seen both in some detail.

Would you say the UK - given its propensity to use the same roads that the Romans built for us - has worse or better roads in terms of layout, maintenance, "clutter"? And are US drivers better or worse than UK?
Given the sheer size of the US and how variable the quality of infrastructure is even within each state, it would be hard to rate one as having better roads than the other as a general proposition. Purely my view. However, the UK is unique in the number of two way roads that are so narrow as to make it nearly impossible for modern vehicles to pass without one yielding way. Not to mention the single track lanes 'with passing places'. It can be infuriating being a driver who learned in the US and lived in other European countries that have more amply sized roads. Purely for this reason I would rate the average UK driver as a more precise driver than the average US one. Precision of car placement is mandatory on far more UK roads than most drivers would ever encounter in the US.

• Love
Reactions: RNHurt
2022.20.7 updated last night. this morning I used cars to get to C. London for work due to rail strike.
Oh dear GPS precision is so off route. Navigation completely unreliable, car is displayed on map some 20 meters off actual position.
I had to stop using Navigation all together, after taking the wrong turns several times.

However kids were super excited to see the car on top of buildings and inside rivers.

ToyBox features or a very disappointing bug.

I’ve seen people put “20” roundels on their bins, saying “20’s Plenty” underneath or something. The car could pick these up, and there isn’t (as far as I know) any law against doing it.
One of the roads I used to commute down they did things like that, handmade 20 signs.. obviously not real, but the tesla more than once reacted and changed the limit.

It once read my house number as I was backing out of my driveway :p

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
I have had the car pick up a speed limit from the sticker on the vehicle in front ... but not in the past year ... I'm thinking that the issue may have been tackled in a software update ... unless someone knows different ...
I've had it pick up a Red Vauxhall sign at the side of the road, and most egregiously a yellow "25% off!" hoarding on a local car-wash. All in the last month.

Given the sheer size of the US and how variable the quality of infrastructure is even within each state, it would be hard to rate one as having better roads than the other as a general proposition. Purely my view. However, the UK is unique in the number of two way roads that are so narrow as to make it nearly impossible for modern vehicles to pass without one yielding way. Not to mention the single track lanes 'with passing places'. It can be infuriating being a driver who learned in the US and lived in other European countries that have more amply sized roads. Purely for this reason I would rate the average UK driver as a more precise driver than the average US one. Precision of car placement is mandatory on far more UK roads than most drivers would ever encounter in the US.
I work for a US company but work remote in UK. I regularly make trips to Akron Ohio, Cederburg Wisconsin, Lenexa Kansas as well as a few trips to California, Alaska and DC over the years. As previous poster mentions it's a huge country and the roads vary dramatically. Dirt roads, albeit generally smooth and maintained, do seem to make up significant part of public roads in some rural areas. The US also has considerable variation in climate and that seems to relate directly to the road quality in that area. I would also concur that what freaks out my US colleagues when they come to visit our office near High Wycombe is how narrow country roads are and they just can't comprehend who has right of way on a single track road. On the whole I think our A roads and motorways compare favourably with most of the equivalent roads in the US. There is a width restriction on Ship Hill, opposite Beaconsfield Services, always good for a giggle with my US colleagues in the car, it terrifies them!

An update this morning just finished installing on my S, now 2022.20.7 (from 2022.20.6).

From @greentheonly: “wow 2022.20.7 seems to go into insane details to improve range predictions. Even tire pressure is taken into account (amongst many-many other extra variables just added). Also takes into account energy loss to phone charging and 12V accessories, air density, battery heat/cool”