Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That has crossed my mind too. Though, it was never an issue in the past if I approached the drivers door but my wife opened the passenger door first or if she approached the passenger door and I opened the driver side door first ... something has definitely been tampered with ... very odd!
yep I agree something has defo been tampered with and it is very odd as I cant see how any of the recent feature releases would cause them to change the behaviour of the alarm sequence in the code.🤷‍♂️

It could be related to opening the front left hand door, rather than the front right hand door when first entering the car after a long sleep. I note it didn't set the alarm off if I open the right hand door first. It wouldn't surprise me if they only do software UAT before release in a right hand drive car.
It would be interesting if someone like @bruce4000 tried to open the front right door after a long sleep to see if the alarm is triggered.

I presume you've never worked on complex software before? Unintended consequences happen all the time.
True, but from my experience as a developer (admittedly a few years ago now!) the better the code was written, however complex, the less unintended consequences there were. The other point is that when we made changes to software we attempted to discover any unintended effects by testing - something Tesla don't seem to spend a great deal of effort on.

True, but from my experience as a developer (admittedly a few years ago now!) the better the code was written, however complex, the less unintended consequences there were. The other point is that when we made changes to software we attempted to discover any unintended effects by testing - something Tesla don't seem to spend a great deal of effort on.
I had a very successful career fixing things that developers had tested :)

Sorry, by "we" I didn't mean the developers did the testing - that was passed to a UAT team. I can't imagine any decent software house allows the people who wrote the code to test it.
Oh they do if they’re in a rush to release something and the test team is at full capacity.

I’ve got into many fights with team leads and product owners trying to force us to mark our own homework.

Sorry, by "we" I didn't mean the developers did the testing - that was passed to a UAT team. I can't imagine any decent software house allows the people who wrote the code to test it.
had tested themselves or had tested by someone else, works both way. Suffice to say that the answers to this part of the thread show that anyone who has worked in IT has experience of testing not catching all the bugs. Why would Tesla be any different?

had tested themselves or had tested by someone else, works both way. Suffice to say that the answers to this part of the thread show that anyone who has worked in IT has experience of testing not catching all the bugs. Why would Tesla be any different?

Of course some bugs slip through. I think we all expect and accept that. An alarm going off like that does seem a particularly bad miss though. How do you miss an alarm going off when you unlock the car FFS! 😂

Strangely I haven't experienced it on my M3RWD, but if I had I wouldn't have been too impressed.

The thing which I feel the messages people have shared from Tesla are missing is an apology. For me this is a bad bug and worthy of apologising for the inconvenience it has caused.

Reactions: Doudeau
It would be interesting if someone like @bruce4000 tried to open the front right door after a long sleep to see if the alarm is triggered.
I‘ve just done a couple of tests on my Fremont-built 2020 M3 LR (UK RHD) which has been afflicted by the alarm bug since the .7 update. With the car asleep (confirmed by Teslamate), opening the left-hand front passenger door does not activate the alarm. After waiting for the car to go to sleep again, opening the drivers right-hand front door does activate the alarm for 4 beeps. I let it go back to sleep, repeated with passenger door (no alarm) and then drivers door again (4 beeps). So the bug appears to affect only drivers door in my case.

I‘ve just done a couple of tests on my Fremont-built 2020 M3 LR (UK RHD) which has been afflicted by the alarm bug since the .7 update. With the car asleep (confirmed by Teslamate), opening the left-hand front passenger door does not activate the alarm. After waiting for the car to go to sleep again, opening the drivers right-hand front door does activate the alarm for 4 beeps. I let it go back to sleep, repeated with passenger door (no alarm) and then drivers door again (4 beeps). So the bug appears to affect only drivers door in my case.
Mine’s the same vintage. You can also open rear doors without triggering the alarm

Thanks. Good data point. I was asking @bruce4000 since he is in the US and I wondered if this was an issue that impacted only RHD cars.