Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.24.8 and automatic wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had problems with the wiper rain sensor on the 2023 Model Y LR which doesn’t always come on correctly in auto. Our Tesla dealer says they are aware of this and that this he is hopeful that they will fix this with an over the air update however has no actual details on if/when an update would be released. Anyone have any intel on this issue/repair ?

We have had problems with the wiper rain sensor on the 2023 Model Y LR which doesn’t always come on correctly in auto. Our Tesla dealer says they are aware of this and that this he is hopeful that they will fix this with an over the air update however has no actual details on if/when an update would be released. Anyone have any intel on this issue/repair ?
There is no sensor, it uses the cameras. This has been an issues since the Model 3 came out in 2017. The behavior changes from time to time with updates, but it has never been 'fixed'.

Strictly speaking they didn't lie about anything:
  • it is indeed a known issue
  • it would in fact be fixed by an OTA software update
what they didn't mention, of course, was what kind of timeline we're looking at for this hypothetical fix.

Reactions: Reeses2
Your car had radar. It is now using Vision Only as of 2022.24.8.
Actually, I had a convo with a Tesla mechanic, and he said that the CO was NOT turning off the radar on so-equipped Tesla models, despite the following-distance and wiper-activation clues that led me to think they were switching us all to TeslaVision. But I want to verify that, by blocking the radar transponder and seeing if cruise-control then fails to operate. Does anyone know exactly where the transponder is on the 2020 Model Y?

I also dislike this 'feature', especially since my wipers have started coming on for no reason over the past couple months, so if I want to use AP, I'm stuck going down the freeway with the wipers going for no reason. WTH?

Service advisor said I need to clean the camera area of the windshield, but I've got over 13K miles and this just started happening about two months ago, even right after a car wash. Try again!

Actually, I had a convo with a Tesla mechanic, and he said that the CO was NOT turning off the radar on so-equipped Tesla models, despite the following-distance and wiper-activation clues that led me to think they were switching us all to TeslaVision. But I want to verify that, by blocking the radar transponder and seeing if cruise-control then fails to operate. Does anyone know exactly where the transponder is on the 2020 Model Y?
In the release notes for v2022.20.9, TeslaVision was introduced and radar, if present, disabled. It is the reason I’ve stayed on v2022.20.8. The other notes including larger minimum following distance, lower autopilot speed limits, etc., etc. At least that’s what happened on the update announcement for me.

In the release notes for v2022.20.9, TeslaVision was introduced and radar, if present, disabled. It is the reason I’ve stayed on v2022.20.8. The other notes including larger minimum following distance, lower autopilot speed limits, etc., etc. At least that’s what happened on the update announcement for me.
Unfortunately I had the update setting to automatic when that 2022 update came out to remove use of the radar sensors. I've since changed that setting so I always review all updates prior to implementation. I would bet that if all of us pre-2022 owners got together we could win a class action lawsuit for Tesla automatically disabling a safety feature that at least some of us intentionally purchased the car for (Radar for forward distance sensing). Particularly in northern climates with heavy fog in the winter. The forward cameras can't see any better than a human eye, but radar cuts right through it.