Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.24.8 and automatic wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received the 2022.24.8 update last weekend and in general, like the changes. Except for one.
For some reason now, whenever basic cruise control is engaged the windshield wipers are forced to 'Auto'. It will not let the driver turn them off. This is a problem, as I had a ceramic coating applied to the windshield specifically to not have to use the wipers when cruising up the freeway to work every morning. During the winter, it's pitch black at 5:00AM during my commute, and it's actually easier to see clearly with the wipers OFF than On.
I can understand having the wipers go to Auto when using Autopilot, but not for basic cruise.
Please tell me this can get changed in the next update.

Reactions: MdlYYY
Vision only cars when autopilot is engaged, the wipers runs on auto or choose your own speed. It can't be turned off.

Sorry but there is no way around other than not use Autopilot.
I'm saying the wipers are forced into Auto in basic cruise control as well as Autopilot/Autosteer. I don't use autopilot, but I use cruise control every day. Also, my car is an early 2021, which doesn't need the wipers for any functions. Why do you folks defend when Telsa implements things that are completely unnecessary? Blows my mind!

I'm saying the wipers are forced into Auto in basic cruise control as well as Autopilot/Autosteer. I don't use autopilot, but I use cruise control every day. Also, my car is an early 2021, which doesn't need the wipers for any functions. Why do you folks defend when Telsa implements things that are completely unnecessary? Blows my mind!
You had a radar but you lost it recently since Tesla updated your car to Vision only and rendered your radar useless (disabled). Whether you like it or not Vision use cameras and the wipers needs to be on auto or user set speed. Off is not available in Autopilot/Autosteer (cruise control).

I don't defend Tesla as I already have a Vision car. Auto wipers were not the best experience when we first got the car in February 2022. But fast forward to today its 99% functioning as intended. It is what it is and I adapt to changes.

If you think the removal of important feature is completely unnecessary and renders your car unoperable, you are free to move on to another brand.

'Basic cruise control' on a Tesla with Autopilot is TACC. TACC also requires auto wipers and auto high beams now (though you can at least turn the high beams off every time) since it is using the same vision-only software, just with the steering part turned off. Yep, super lame.

You had a radar but you lost it recently since Tesla updated your car to Vision only and rendered your radar useless (disabled). Whether you like it or not Vision use cameras and the wipers needs to be on auto or user set speed. Off is not available in Autopilot/Autosteer (cruise control).

I don't defend Tesla as I already have a Vision car. Auto wipers were not the best experience when we first got the car in February 2022. But fast forward to today its 99% functioning as intended. It is what it is and I adapt to changes.

If you think the removal of important feature is completely unnecessary and renders your car unoperable, you are free to move on to another brand.
That’s exactly what they want you to do! Compliance is key in big companies eyes. It’s not about want you want, it’s about following what they want!

Reactions: Johnny J
The recent update that activates the windshield washers when engaging Autopilot makes the Autopilot totally useless.
Where I am driving there may be just light rain and therefore not desirable to activate the washers. Besides, I use a rain repellent to get the water off my windshield.
In practical use, this means that I will not use the Autopilot because the washers rund dry and wipes even if there is no water on the screen.
What a crap!

Reactions: Johnny J and MdlYYY
In my 2018 Model 3 with radar and USS, I’ve opted to remain on software v2022.20.8 which is one of the last updates BEFORE disabling the radar. 20.8 also does NOT make mandatory the use of auto wipers and auto high beams, plus it allows a following distance of “1.” I use that distance for bumper-to-bumper Interstate rush hour traffic and it works amazingly well. I’ve received but not installed six software updates since 20.8 and I hope to be able to remain on 2022.20.8 until ChuckleVision (thanks for that @DeejUK) reaches parity, which I frankly don’t expect will happen.

• Funny
Reactions: DeejUK
'Basic cruise control' on a Tesla with Autopilot is TACC
Yep, given that OP's car is early 2021, there is indeed no such thing as "basic" cruise control. All cars made at this point (and later) had "basic" (lane-keeping) auto pilot included, which meant that cruise control was always traffic-aware, with no way to turn that off.

It is worth noting that the very first M3s sold in the US (from late 2017 through early 2019) had a true, basic cruise control that maintained a set speed without any adjustments if you did not purchase either of the auto driving options (EAP or FSD). The functionality of this cruise control feature has remained unchanged in the years following (including still no ability to "resume" the previously-set speed after disengaging CC).

Yep, given that OP's car is early 2021, there is indeed no such thing as "basic" cruise control. All cars made at this point (and later) had "basic" (lane-keeping) auto pilot included, which meant that cruise control was always traffic-aware, with no way to turn that off.

It is worth noting that the very first M3s sold in the US (from late 2017 through early 2019) had a true, basic cruise control that maintained a set speed without any adjustments if you did not purchase either of the auto driving options (EAP or FSD). The functionality of this cruise control feature has remained unchanged in the years following (including still no ability to "resume" the previously-set speed after disengaging CC).
Indeed, that is the basic non-TACC my cars has (which I actually quite like).