Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.28.2 update - no more DRL's while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed yesterday after updating to 2022.28.2 the other night that the driving lights on my Model Y are no longer on while driving.

I did some further testing and tried resetting the car, but that didn't work. I did notice when I have the lights set Parking, On, or Auto, then they're on while driving. Otherwise, when I turn them to Off while driving, the DRL's turn off and are not available while driving.

Before anyone says to leave it in Auto, I've always turned the lights to Off as a force of habit whenever I get into my Tesla. Been doing this since I had my Model 3 a few years ago, as I hated that the headlights would always be on whenever I put the car into Drive, even during the middle of the day. However, the DRL's are always lit up when the car is in Drive and when you have the lights set to Off. It's just now after getting the 2022.28.2 update, that the DRL's no longer light up while you're driving and have the lights set to Off.

Not a rant, but more of a PSA. Just wondering if others are also experiencing this, as I'm not finding anything when searching it online.

In Auto, the headlights will not be on during the day. They will only turn on if it gets dark enough, for example passing under the shade of a lot of trees. They will turn back off once you get into the clear again. You can turn them off if you want but it doesn't seem to be required for the case you described. What's "ON" during the day should be DRLs...

I thought DRLs were mandatory here (Canada) but not in the USA. As such, I would expect the DRLs to be off for US cars in general. When I do road trips in the USA, most if not virtually all cars seem to have no DRLs.

I also think with this latest version that the light process has changed. Here's what I've noticed:
  1. Lights OFF also turns off the DRL. Now you can drive with no DRL. The AUTO setting keeps the normal DRL on.
  2. Upon putting the car in park and leaving the car, the parking lights stay on. If you have fog lights enabled, those also turn on with the parking lights. When you close the door, all these lights turn off. Prior behavior was only the DRL was on when you exited the car.

I also think with this latest version that the light process has changed. Here's what I've noticed:
  1. Lights OFF also turns off the DRL. Now you can drive with no DRL. The AUTO setting keeps the normal DRL on.
  2. Upon putting the car in park and leaving the car, the parking lights stay on. If you have fog lights enabled, those also turn on with the parking lights. When you close the door, all these lights turn off. Prior behavior was only the DRL was on when you exited the car.

That's always been the case, and appears to still work the same way after the update.

I leave my fog lights enabled and they've always come on with the parking lights while I'm driving, and still do. Also, whenever I exit the car and close the doors, all of the lights still turn off.

From the OM -

Note
Any exterior lights (for example, daytime running lights) that are required to remain on in your market region will turn on as appropriate when driving, when parked on specific types of roads, etc.

Note
Model Y has a series of LED lights along the rim of the headlights, also referred to as "signature" lights. These lights automatically turn on whenever Model Y is powered on and a drive mode (Drive or Reverse) is engaged.

Not sure whether the DRL thing is a recent update or if it's always been the case. Regardless, the 'signature lights' function as a kind of DRL, I guess.

Reactions: alexcue
Interestingly I posted elsewhere that ever since the update, I'm noticing a different issue: the car visualization doesn't show when regen braking is active. OR it shows it as intermittently coming on and off. Freaked me out on my way home the other day because I worry about folks rear ending me and constantly check the display to ensure when I'm one-pedal-driving that the rear brake lights are coming on. It's visibly not anymore; also doesn't come on when I'm stopped and the car goes into hold. Tried rebooting but issue remains. Anyone else notice this with this update?

That's always been the case, and appears to still work the same way after the update.

I leave my fog lights enabled and they've always come on with the parking lights while I'm driving, and still do. Also, whenever I exit the car and close the doors, all of the lights still turn off.
Maybe I just never noticed before. But I could have sworn that you couldn't ever turn off the DRLs while driving. It's also possible I just never noticed.

Interestingly I posted elsewhere that ever since the update, I'm noticing a different issue: the car visualization doesn't show when regen braking is active. OR it shows it as intermittently coming on and off. Freaked me out on my way home the other day because I worry about folks rear ending me and constantly check the display to ensure when I'm one-pedal-driving that the rear brake lights are coming on. It's visibly not anymore; also doesn't come on when I'm stopped and the car goes into hold. Tried rebooting but issue remains. Anyone else notice this with this update?
My visualization still works the same as before. I can see the brake lights turn on when i begin decelerating past the threshold. The behavior is unchanged in that brake lights do NOT turn off if you only very slowly decelerate.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I noticed the exact same “issue” after the 2022.28.2 update. No more DRL/Signature lights when switched to OFF, regardless of being in Drive/Reverse. I am hoping Tesla fixes this in the next update.

I am with you in that I always switched it to OFF immediately after getting in my MYP because leaving it in Auto always turns all the lights on, even on a bright sunny day. It will eventually go back to just DRL-only once I get going, just not as fast as I would like.

Another thing I wished was that I could just default to OFF and it save to my driver profile so that I wouldn’t have to switch to OFF every time I get in.

Reactions: KenMast3rs

Yes I posted about this in the Software forum. Myself and 3 others on a Facebook group have noticed this as well.

The problem seems intermittent and only related to the display, not in real life.