Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.36+ Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I'm no SW guru, I spent my life in contracts, so if 22.36 was issued with new features and then 22.36.1 was also issued with new features followed by 22.36.2, 22.36.3, 22.36.4, 22.36.5 and 22.36.6 all for for "bug fixes", why are we still seeing 22.36.5 being downloaded, assuming, of course, that 22.36.6 would have incorporated all previously released versions/fixes? In my line of work, every contract change issued to a specific contract always incorporates all previous changes. Just curious.

2022.36.jpg

Attachments

• 2022.36.jpg
    2022.36.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 352
Reactions: Transformer
First, I'm no SW guru, I spent my life in contracts, so if 22.36 was issued with new features and then 22.36.1 was also issued with new features followed by 22.36.2, 22.36.3, 22.36.4, 22.36.5 and 22.36.6 all for for "bug fixes", why are we still seeing 22.36.5 being downloaded, assuming, of course, that 22.36.6 would have incorporated all previously released versions/fixes? In my line of work, every contract change issued to a specific contract always incorporates all previous changes. Just curious.

View attachment 869166

Its entirely possible that cars getting 36.5 have a different hardware configuration than 36.6. We dont know, but its a easy to make assumption. Im not just talking about "model 3 vs Model S", I mean model 3s with a specific config vs model 3s with another config, etc".

Its entirely possible that cars getting 36.5 have a different hardware configuration than 36.6. We dont know, but its a easy to make assumption. Im not just talking about "model 3 vs Model S", I mean model 3s with a specific config vs model 3s with another config, etc".
I actually considered that logic, but I couldn't think of any reason for a change to be made to Model 3's SR versus LR versus P. I viewed the release notes for each sub-version and that didn't clear it up either. For instance, 36.5 noted, Cabin Overheat, Energy App, Battery heating performance, Tesla App, Caraoke, Supercharger Additional Details, and Car Left Open Notifications. And 36.6 covers the same topics and the same models, and ditto for all the other sub-versions 36.4, 36.3, 36.2 and 36.1, they all cover the same changes and same vehicles. No biggie, I was just curious.

I actually considered that logic, but I couldn't think of any reason for a change to be made to Model 3's SR versus LR versus P. I viewed the release notes for each sub-version and that didn't clear it up either. For instance, 36.5 noted, Cabin Overheat, Energy App, Battery heating performance, Tesla App, Caraoke, Supercharger Additional Details, and Car Left Open Notifications. And 36.6 covers the same topics and the same models, and ditto for all the other sub-versions 36.4, 36.3, 36.2 and 36.1, they all cover the same changes and same vehicles. No biggie, I was just curious.

SR+ / P is not what I was talking about. They are not going to denote everything that every software version applies to, and its entirely possible (maybe even likely) that there are cars with different chipsets in general (even within the same model, like SR+ / SR+) for things like cellular modems, different versions of chipsets on the media computers etc.

We are never going to see the entire set of things an update covers, just the major features. The rest will likely be called "bug fixes" or "updates".

SR+ / P is not what I was talking about. They are not going to denote everything that every software version applies to, and its entirely possible (maybe even likely) that there are cars with different chipsets in general (even within the same model, like SR+ / SR+) for things like cellular modems, different versions of chipsets on the media computers etc.

We are never going to see the entire set of things an update covers, just the major features. The rest will likely be called "bug fixes" or "updates".
I agree there may be some nuances to each version that may not be noted, but the release notes for 36.0 through 36.6 are all the same set of vehicles with an exception noted in 36.0 that they have a ? next to the model number, but it seems that was a confirmed in 36.1.

models 36.0.jpg

models 36.1.jpg

models 36.6.jpg

I've also found that when a change is made to a certain MCU, they note it:

models xcep.jpg

Tough for a mod to just say "I dunno", especially one that's supposedly a programmer... I'm just sayin...

Sorry, I'm a contracts professional, most of us are argumentative, I think it came with our JD ✌️

Even when the newest updates apply to all cars, Tesla never releases an update to the entire fleet at once (except possibly for critical fixes). For example, when 2022.36.6 comes out, only a subset of the fleet is selected to receive it right away, and other cars that were previously targeted for 2022.36.5 will get that when they update, even though it's no longer the newest version.

I agree there may be some nuances to each version that may not be noted, but the release notes for 36.0 through 36.6 are all the same set of vehicles with an exception noted in 36.0 that they have a ? next to the model number, but it seems that was a confirmed in 36.1.

View attachment 869225

View attachment 869226

View attachment 869227

I've also found that when a change is made to a certain MCU, they note it:

View attachment 869229

Tough for a mod to just say "I dunno", especially one that's supposedly a programmer... I'm just sayin...

Sorry, I'm a contracts professional, most of us are argumentative, I think it came with our JD ✌️

Umm.. I never (ever ever ever) said I was a "programmer".... im just sayin'.....

(I work in IT, that does not make someone a programmer by default, any more than someone saying "im a lawyer" makes them a contract law professional)

I didnt say "I dunno" I said, " we will never know everything that is in the change logs" and some third party site or other is not going to have all that information either.

Even when the newest updates apply to all cars, Tesla never releases an update to the entire fleet at once (except possibly for critical fixes). For example, when 2022.36.6 comes out, only a subset of the fleet is selected to receive it right away, and other cars that were previously targeted for 2022.36.5 will get that when they update, even though it's no longer the newest version.
Thanks EVR, I appreciate your response.

Umm.. I never (ever ever ever) said I was a "programmer".... im just sayin'.....

(I work in IT, that does not make someone a programmer by default, any more than someone saying "im a lawyer" makes them a contract law professional)

I didnt say "I dunno" I said, " we will never know everything that is in the change logs" and some third party site or other is not going to have all that information either.
Read my sentence again... too finny...

The release process for each company is different and it often very much depends on the use case and is up to the company. E.g a stateless stand alone application you might be able to update by jumping several versions, while a complex state full system requires you to install each version during the update.

Public release notes never contain the full scope of the change. There are DB Schema changes/migrations as well internal API changes (new APIs and deprecations) adding complexity to the update process.

Then there is also the aspect that you don’t want to carry deprecated code with you as it increases the maintenance overhead and slows down progress. But this again impacts the release process, not allowing customers to jump versions.

All the arguments above are quite simplified, the release process is a rather complex one. I have no insight into Tesla’s release process or software architecture so can’t provide an accurate answer but hope this gives a bit more context.

Reactions: jjrandorin
It's a staged process as with some cloud software development. You deploy to a small subset of users, check feedback. If it's good you deploy to more, check feedback etc. You might have two or up to 10 "stages" or more like that. If at any point you detect a major issue, you might choose to stop deploying that particular version. Only Tesla knows the difference between the people in those stages. They might choose hardware differences, country/region differences, model differences, VIN number sequences... Who knows.
During that time development was advancing, new features were developed. If a major bug is found you might need to go back and fix on an earlier branch of code because the new features are too flaky still. You might choose to send that new build to everyone (in stages) or you might decide to only patch those affected by that bug.
IF you would only ever push the latest and greatest, I hope you can see how some people would never get any updates if a bug is always found before a version is pushed to everyone.

Not doing things in stages has the risk of completely crashing everyone if there's a very significant bug, that's why we never do that.

FWIW, I was on 28.2 for what seemed like a while (in the past it seems like I got updates shortly after they're announced) then I finally got a notification for 36.5. Downloaded and installed and the very next day I got a notification for 36.6.

I received the 2022.36.5 update yesterday on my 2021 M3LR (no FSD). It all works as advertised with one exception: I don't seem to be able to access the "Battery Test in Service Mode" feature. Is this something I should be able to find from the Service screen.

I received the 2022.36.5 update yesterday on my 2021 M3LR (no FSD). It all works as advertised with one exception: I don't seem to be able to access the "Battery Test in Service Mode" feature. Is this something I should be able to find from the Service screen.
I’m not able to find that either, even though it was mentioned as a new feature on “NotaTelsaApp”

I've been declining to install 2022.28.2 for over a month now because I don't want to get ahead of the next FSD Beta release's underlying base version. However, my car has already downloaded 2022.28.2. So eventually I will probably have to install it even if you are installing 2022.40.99 that day.

Other individuals almost certainly delay installing updates for a variety of reasons.

Some cars also only have intermittent access to WIFI, and thus may not download version X of software the same day Tesla authorizes them to download version X.

I believe that under Controls > Software > Software Update Preferences you can still select either Standard or Advanced. In general I expect those who select Advanced will be installing higher numbered updates before those who select Standard.

From version 2021.32 of the North America Model Y user manual.

• Standard: Receive software updates using the normal rollout timeframe for your region and vehicle configuration. When a software release is made available it has generally been running on other customer vehicles for a period of time.

• Advanced: Receive the latest software updates for your region and vehicle configuration as soon as they are available. Tesla determines how, when, and where to send updates to vehicles based on various factors unique to each release. Keep in mind that although you receive updates as soon as they are available for your specific vehicle, you may not be in the first Tesla group of Tesla owners to receive the update. Choosing Advanced does not enroll your vehicle in Tesla's early access program.

As previously mentioned, it is unlikely that Tesla never wants to push out a new update to EVERY CAR all at once. They certainly want to test it on a few bleeding edge vehicles first, then a larger group, and so on. In part so they don't introduce a bug that affects EVERY CAR. Their nightmare scenario is a release which bricks cars, worst case requiring hardware replacement, almost as bad needing to be towed to a service center to have the software manually reinstalled.

Also remember that Tesla has a huge number of cars on the road these days. They want to spread the load on their servers and internet connection across multiple days, not have days or overloaded servers followed by days of idle servers.

As someone mentioned, dealing with the pandemic Tesla was very fast compared to other automakers at rewriting their software to run on different chips, when their preferred chips were unavailable. Though most customers never notice, their software release protocols certainly have to accommodate different hardware under the covers.

Lastly, I don't know about you, but my car certainly has not installed every point release. I don't know to what extent that is caused by my settings, my speed of installing once available, differences in hardware...

Reactions: Thp3
I think you can also look at how the process works and at what point the cars report they’re on a version.

Tesla allocate a car for an update but the car wont report that until woken up, a car sat fir 2 days might then wake up and Teslafi will then become aware the update is pending. It may even be not 7ntil the download starts which also requires the car to be on Wi-Fi. The update may then take a few days if Wi-Fi is lost.

You then assume the websites are reporting new installs starting and not how many cars are mid process.

As others have said, the installs are released in waves, and I think it’s only about 10% of cars which are ever in mid process.

Add all that to the other suggestions and it’s easy to see over lapping releases, just down to the mechanics of the process, the time it takes and how it’s reported.

I can’t remember a time when the release notes materially differed between the minor versions, it’s a pain on sites like notateslaapp which repeats things and makes differences really hard to tell. Tesla-info de-duplicate but don’t always offer model and country specific notes, although I’m not always convinced the others get that right. The alternate routes update was a great example as they all constantly changed their minds.