Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.4.5.17 Recommends 100% Daily Charge for LFP Battery Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, just got 2022.4.5.17 and it states:

The range display in your vehicle is undergoing calibration. Until calibrated, displayed range may under or overestimate compared to distance driven. To improve accuracy, charge to 100% and wait until the charge port LED turns solid green, indicating a completed charging session. It is recommended for this configuration of vehicle to keep your charge limit set to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also fully charge to 100% at least once per week.

So, I keep my daily at 90%... this seems like a significant change to how we've learned to charge daily, no?

2022.4.5.17 Release Notes

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SWIPE and MP3Mike

The range display in your vehicle is undergoing calibration. Until calibrated, displayed range may under or overestimate compared to distance driven. To improve accuracy, charge to 100% and wait until the charge port LED turns solid green, indicating a completed charging session. It is recommended for this configuration of vehicle to keep your charge limit set to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also fully charge to 100% at least once per week.

So, I keep my daily at 90%... this seems like a significant change to how we've learned to charge daily, no?

That sounds like its supposed to be for LFP vehicles, since it says "it is recommended for this configuration". I certainly wouldnt charge to 100% on a regular basis on a non LFP vehicle (which is all model Ys).

I think its more likely you got that update in error, than it is they are actually recommending charging to 100% for non LFP vehicles.

That sounds like its supposed to be for LFP vehicles, since it says "it is recommended for this configuration". I certainly wouldnt charge to 100% on a regular basis on a non LFP vehicle (which is all model Ys).

I think its more likely you got that update in error, than it is they are actually recommending charging to 100% for non LFP vehicles.
any issue keeping daily charge at 90% vs 80%?

any issue keeping daily charge at 90% vs 80%?

I had my model 3 set at 90% from 2018 to the middle of 2021, so my opinion is no. I am not getting into it more than that though, as I am very (very very very very very very very very very very very very very very...... (tack on about 1000 more "verys" there) fatigued with the "range / battery" discussions since I see multiple threads daily created I have to move to our master thread on the subject in the model 3 subforum here:

Its 210+ pages, and a large part of it is stuff like "should I charge to 80% or 90%?" whats the best way to take care of my battery? My range is only....." so Yeah I am not the right person to ask, due to my fatigue at the question.

80 better than 90 daily - but 90 ok if you need it. If charging to 80 means you end up going to less than 20 consistently, then 80 isn’t really better, otherwise it normally would be better
I had my model 3 set at 90% from 2018 to the middle of 2021, so my opinion is no. I am not getting into it more than that though, as I am very (very very very very very very very very very very very very very very...... (tack on about 1000 more "verys" there) fatigued with the "range / battery" discussions since I see multiple threads daily created I have to move to our master thread on the subject in the model 3 subforum here:

Its 210+ pages, and a large part of it is stuff like "should I charge to 80% or 90%?" whats the best way to take care of my battery? My range is only....." so Yeah I am not the right person to ask, due to my fatigue at the question.
Great info, thanks!

The release notes indicate that the range display calibration recommendation to charge daily to 100% is specific to the Tesla Model 3 with the Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) battery. Unless, until there is a Tesla Model Y with a LFP battery then you should disregard this recommendation when charging a Model Y, continue to charge between 50% and 90% only charging above 90% when required for a longer trip.

I only use 10-15% daily for commuting to work. Should I keep it less than 80??
You could certainly lower your daily maximum charging level to 70% or even 60%. One consideration is how many hours it would take when charging at home to increase the state of charge from 60% to 90% when charging for a longer drive. Since you will use more of the battery in winter you could charge to 80% throughout the winter and lower the charging limit a bit for spring, summer and fall. 80% is a good all around daily charging limit and you don't have to think about it or take any additional action when planning a trip.

Reactions: gt2690b and CaseyL
You could certainly lower your daily maximum charging level to 70% or even 60%. One consideration is how many hours it would take when charging at home to increase the state of charge from 60% to 90% when charging for a longer drive. Since you will use more of the battery in winter you could charge to 80% throughout the winter and lower the charging limit a bit for spring, summer and fall. 80% is a good all around daily charging limit and you don't have to think about it or take any additional action when planning a trip.

But is it better for the battery to lower it to 60% or does it matter in that sense? I have a 220 charger in the garage that can charge up to 28 miles per hour so I can max it to 100% over night when I have a long trip coming up.

But is it better for the battery to lower it to 60% or does it matter in that sense? I have a 220 charger in the garage that can charge up to 28 miles per hour so I can max it to 100% over night when I have a long trip coming up.

Sure, it might be a little better at 60%. What we dont know is, is it 3 "miles" better after 5 years than 70%? 2? .5? .25? .025? What it ISNT, however (the difference between 70% and 60%) is, it is NOT "If I charge to 60%, I will have 30 more miles left after 5 years, than if I charged to 70%". Its much more likely some percentage different that wont matter.

TL ; DR - sure 60% is "better" than 70% but not enough to think about . What we DO know, however, is you dont want to charge to 100% daily on a NCA battery, and 90% is the threshhold you should use for daily use. There IS a big difference between "charging to 100% every day, and "charging to 90% every day". The difference between 90% and "less" is "there" but much much smaller.

"best" is to keep it at 50% and never drive anywhere.

If you are comfortable with only starting each day with a 60% charge on the battery (limiting your range) in your Tesla Model Y then do that. Below about 70% power may be slightly reduced but unless you are doing 0 to 60 runs with the Dragy GPS performance tool to monitor things you would never notice.

The battery will degrade (hold less energy) over time no matter what you do. Also, the pace of change for all new vehicles but Tesla vehicles in particular is such that within 5 years you will want a new vehicle due to advances in technology including the battery, computing power, cameras and sensors.

Reactions: Horsemover
it bothers me that Tesla made a mistake by issuing a software upgrade for LFP batteries to non LFP battery cars and then stating to charge to 100 % all the time. I'm not charging to 100% ever, maybe 95 or 97% for a long. Heck, I'm still wondering if we should stay plugged in all the time, does that make more dendrites. Maybe we should check with Johny B. Goodenough.

• Funny
Reactions: jrcase and ucmndd
it bothers me that Tesla made a mistake by issuing a software upgrade for LFP batteries to non LFP battery cars and then stating to charge to 100 % all the time. I'm not charging to 100% ever, maybe 95 or 97% for a long.
Not that Tesla can't make a big mistake like that...but you're assuming the OP has a MY becuase they posed in a MY forum. Nobody asked what car/model they have. It's possible, but I'd bet the OP has a M3SR LFP.

Lithium iron phosphate batteries only.

What does the message look like in the car or app itself?