Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.4.5 Autopilot Regen Breaking is Excellent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only when cold. Sometimes I have zero regenerative braking on cold mornings. Wish they would use the friction brakes to keep the feel consistent for safety.
Here in Italy is pretty warm and the regenerative is not braking as before.
I’ve tested with Two model 3 my 2021, with 2022 and 2021 firmware at same speed: the 2022 firmware require more distance and time to stop (no dots on display and 15 Celsius outside)

Really shouldn't have to do that. For a company that continually claims it'll have robotaxis by the end of the year, the car sure does get confused by pretty routine.
100% agree with you. However, I’ve also learned to mute Elon. FSD, Robotaxi, and everything else is on “Elon Time”. I’ve learned to not expect anything anymore, and instead be surprised.

There are other issues beyond FSD/Autopilot having its hiccups. For example, a $130,000 car should be built better. Customer service should get completely over hauled etc….

I installed 2022.4.5 this morning on a December 2021 M3 UK spec delivery and did a fairly long frequent drive of 100 miles (although the only second in this car). I deliberately charged up to 100% capacity before leaving and arrived with 70%, so 30% drain and got 209 mW/mile consumption. The last trip was 248 mW/mile (starting from 80%) - although that was more fluid traffic, so I had higher speeds versus this time more stop / start with queues, so might not be the best comparator, but I was estimating to arrive with 60%. It's also the first time I've got the green line in Trip monitor above the grey line! So possibly the 2022.4.5 autoregen is doing something!

Reactions: mangrove79
The regen cannot bring the car to a complete stop. You will need old school friction brakes for the last few mph.
Why should that be the case with FSD, when a human driver can easily come to a complete stop by letting up on the accelerator? If anything I would expect software to be able to modulate speed efen more smoothly than a human driver.

Does the brake actually engage to finish the stop in 1-pedal driving by a human driver? It feels like it might.

Last edited:
Why should that be the case with FSD, when a human driver can easily come to a complete stop by letting up on the accelerator? If anything I would expect software to be able to modulate speed efen more smoothly than a human driver.

Does the brake actually engage to finish the stop in 1-pedal driving by a human driver? It feels like it might.
Yes, Teslas (at least the MY, I assume all of them) apply the friction brake at the end of coming to a stop (in "Hold" mode, which is the only one I've used).

And yes, the motors can bring the car to a complete stop without using the friction brakes at all. The Chevy Bolt, for instance, works this way. It's a choice the manufacturer has made.

Reactions: rjpjnk and Boza
I was more or less happy with the update from last year around May, so I just kept that until I read in the 2022.4.5 release notes that AP had been smoothed in stop and go traffic (the situation in that AP would theoretically be most valuable if it was usable in that situation). So I updated and it is certainly no better than it was in May of last year. Maybe in between the updates were even worse, and it is better than those, but AP is just as unusable in stop in and go traffic as it was May of last year. I and others speak about this more in 2022.4.5 promises non vomit inducing AP stop and go driving in the release notes. But it seems the same to me, am I missing something?

I wish there was a way to turn off the “adaptive” part and make it a “dumb” cruise control.
Which is why I will never get rid of my classic Model S 85 pre-autopilot! One of the rare Tesla's with dumb cruise control. Phantom braking haha, doesn't exist in my world! (I avoid inflated repair costs with used parts from crashed cars, and inexpensive 3rd party shops installing them.)

Every other manufacturer lets you switch between dumb cruise and TACC, such as my 2005 Toyota. Why doesn't Tesla?