Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.4 required to maintain AT&T compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got this today myself. 2022.4 was downloaded to my car via LTE, because I've disabled WiFi. I don't actually want their updates anymore, they no longer care about the user experience.

However- you may not have noticed that it also has scheduled the update to be installed. Mine was setup to auto-install at 10pm today, without me doing anything. It would appear that resistance is futile. Or at least going to require rescheduling it every day.

They've only known about this for 3 years. I guess it's asking too much for them to plan ahead farther than 1 month. It's part of lazy software development. When you can update at anytime, you stop caring about quality.

Just got this today myself. 2022.4 was downloaded to my car via LTE, because I've disabled WiFi. I don't actually want their updates anymore, they no longer care about the user experience.

However- you may not have noticed that it also has scheduled the update to be installed. Mine was setup to auto-install at 10pm today, without me doing anything. It would appear that resistance is futile. Or at least going to require rescheduling it every day.

They've only known about this for 3 years. I guess it's asking too much for them to plan ahead farther than 1 month. It's part of lazy software development. When you can update at anytime, you stop caring about quality.
If you have Sentry Mode on the update should fail. To avoid having the update pop up appear constantly we’ll schedule it for a time that Sentry Mode is on so then the update won’t actually install. Since we always have Sentry Mode on since we park in a shared garage at our apartment our car is never without Sentry Mode on.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
What's weird is, MCU1 cars are getting the same message, however they are being told they need to update to 2021.24.28.

Why in the world would 2021.24.28 be good enough for MCU1 cars with LTE but not good enough for MCU2 cars with LTE?

Makes no sense....

What's weird is, MCU1 cars are getting the same message, however they are being told they need to update to 2021.24.28.

Why in the world would 2021.24.28 be good enough for MCU1 cars with LTE but not good enough for MCU2 cars with LTE?

Makes no sense....
Because that update for MCU1 cars came out later on than when it came out for MCU2 cars so they're not the same.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec

Are you sure you aren't seeing the screen where it asks you to schedule a time to install? I shows that for me all the time when I have an update pending, but I can always close the popup and it never installs by itself. I don't think I've ever seen it reported that updates install by themselves. I have a Model 3. Do you have a screenshot?

Reactions: hybridbear
I got that same message/disclaimer about the LTE and so I reluctantly updated to 2022.4.5 from 2021.44.30. I was already living with v11 UI so I figured might as well to prevent any further issues. I was holding out for a later 2022.x release to fix the garbage they revamped in v11.

EDIT: looks like it's up to 2022.4.5.3 as of last week. My vehicle hasn't prompted for it yet.

Are you sure you aren't seeing the screen where it asks you to schedule a time to install? I shows that for me all the time when I have an update pending, but I can always close the popup and it never installs by itself. I don't think I've ever seen it reported that updates install by themselves. I have a Model 3. Do you have a screenshot?

Sorry, you are right. The dialog was up, but it wasn't scheduled until I hit the Schedule button. I did not hit the close box like I should have. The clock icon is Orange when it has not yet been scheduled and it will keep bringing up the schedule dialog every time you get in. Once you schedule the icon goes white, and there is no longer the option to not-schedule. Close box just leaves it set to scheduled time.

I'm going to keep rescheduling it for a few days just to see what it does. But having to avoid the dialog all the time is a non-starter for me long term anyway. I wanted to keep the card display functionality, but it's not all that important.

Sorry, you are right. The dialog was up, but it wasn't scheduled until I hit the Schedule button. I did not hit the close box like I should have. The clock icon is Orange when it has not yet been scheduled and it will keep bringing up the schedule dialog every time you get in. Once you schedule the icon goes white, and there is no longer the option to not-schedule. Close box just leaves it set to scheduled time.

I'm going to keep rescheduling it for a few days just to see what it does. But having to avoid the dialog all the time is a non-starter for me long term anyway. I wanted to keep the card display functionality, but it's not all that important.
Wouldn't setting it to install at a time that you have sentry mode reset the process with a failed install?

Can't confirm this but I presume that is how it would work.

Reactions: OxBrew
The dialog should go away after ~2 weeks. It should also go away once you switch into drive.
For this holiday update, it took me 2 months of ignoring the nag, and it only went away once I was flagged to DL 2022.4. I killed wifi immediately, and that bought me about a week of sweet relief, until it gradually downloaded over LTE, all by itself. Back to the nags. Fun times.

We have 4 drivers, and they all are opposed to v11, from what we've seen here and elsewhere, so are all really careful not to hit the wrong button in the app or on the car.

Reactions: Transformer
Partly because I like to experiment and understand how things work, and also partly because I'd rather keep v10 until/if they clean up their mess, I decided to go rogue and did a Factory Reset on my car. I'm sure I've lost something I wanted, but I like learning new stuff.

It doesn't remove the downloaded software, that is still downloaded. But I now am back to the orange clock, instead of a pending install. I'm just going to let it nag and ignore it as long as I can.

We have 4 drivers, and they all are opposed to v11, from what we've seen here and elsewhere, so are all really careful not to hit the wrong button in the app or on the car.

when V11 came out, I decided that I would wait. And explained to my wife (only other driver) why, so she wouldn’t accidentally install the software. Wish there was a way to restrict ability to install new software to individual accounts/drivers.

Anyway, you can just ignore the update scheduling popup. No need to manually dismiss it. Just put the car in drive and away it goes.

We haven’t driven our 2021 MY since Monday due to weather (no snow tires), but so far it seems to be reachable from the app (WiFi is off) without issues. Suspect the “upgrade now or your network access will die” message was either scare tactics to soft-force v10 holdouts, or they just over-targeted vehicles.

when V11 came out, I decided that I would wait. And explained to my wife (only other driver) why, so she wouldn’t accidentally install the software. Wish there was a way to restrict ability to install new software to individual accounts/drivers.

Anyway, you can just ignore the update scheduling popup. No need to manually dismiss it. Just put the car in drive and away it goes.

We haven’t driven our 2021 MY since Monday due to weather (no snow tires), but so far it seems to be reachable from the app (WiFi is off) without issues. Suspect the “upgrade now or your network access will die” message was either scare tactics to soft-force v10 holdouts, or they just over-targeted vehicles.
I wouldn't celebrate yet given although the official date is 2/22/2022, from what I posted it from Comrex it seems AT&T has delayed the shutdown to next Monday (edit: later news seems to indicate some shutdowns have started as of today). Also, if it's like the 2G shutdown, it will happen gradually in regions, given it's not like they have a central switch that they just flip, they have to update the individual cell towers themselves (edit: it's pretty much confirmed 3G shutdown is rolling out in gradually, not all at once).

As a sanity check, I searched the mobile forums and it seems as of midnight today, people are still reporting 3G working fine, which seems to confirm shutdown has not happened yet (at least not in all regions):
At&t 3G shutdown and coverage?

Latest news from Tuesday is that FCC got AT&T to agree to allow IOT devices to continue roaming on T-mobile network, so presuming roaming is configured and your eligible device is in T-mobile coverage, it's possible that 3G will keep working until the end of the year. Although FCC seems to indicate it won't force a delay, alarm company lobbyists are pushing for a 60 day delay to test out the roaming.
FCC Unlikely to Delay AT&T 3G Sunset, but Devices Can Roam on T-Mobile Network
From the same source as of today, it seems as expected FCC didn't agree to a delay, and alarm companies are seeing some outages, so it seems the shutdown has started (although obviously in phases given not all were shut down at the same time):
Alarm Industry Faces Outages as AT&T 3G Sunset Starts

And I presume by "reachable" you mean you have also been able to successfully wake the car after it sleeps.

Last edited:
I wouldn't celebrate yet given although the official date is 2/22/2022…

And I presume by "reachable" you mean you have also been able to successfully wake the car after it sleeps.

Sure, I will keep an eye on it. And I haven‘t tested all functionality yet, but I was able to connect to the car from the couch and the “Vent” feature lowered the windows. The car is plugged in and hasn’t been moved or opened since Monday. Still snowing, so it will be a few more days before I’ll drive it again.

FWIW I still have V10 and still have LTE even in the AT&T weak-zone where we are on Monterey peninsula . Who knows how long it will last

but

just got back from a 1200+ mile trip in not-so-high tech (ha ha sarcasm) 2017 car with Apple CarPlay. Used Waze (nice!) for navigation the whole time and realized (duh) that if/when my Model 3 decides to no longer play nice with LTE - so what, I will just use the phone as hotspot cause it's basically the same diff.

Being able to hands free respond to a group text was nice. So was using Waze and getting police location updates. Sigh, Tesla so eager to get games in their cars they ignore things many non-gamer folks would find useful

I'll report back when/if I lose cell network; anyone know how to confirm what's running in the area? BTW Tesla browser had a real rough time with the speed test site I chose, not running scripts etc. Oddly when I got back home with full house WiFi the page refused to run at all.

Attachments

• iPhone12.png
    iPhone12.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 88
  • model3.jpg
    model3.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: TheRedBendY