Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.40.4.1 am I screwed out of FSD beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep that one.

I’ve used it twice now for issues with firmware downloads and never had an issue.
So this afternoon, after waiting for more wisdom and pondering my options, I did the Software re-install.

The total time was quite a bit shorter than the usual time to install new software, and most of it was spent with a progress bar showing in a single fixed position (maybe 55%-ish) and asserting that it was updating ECUs. Throughout the process there were quite a few mechanical sounds--various fans turning on and off, perhaps circulations pumps, latches... It was finished in about ten minutes.

Afterward, I was not immediately advised that I had a software update ready to install. Promising, perhaps.

I visited the software page on the car's menu, and was advised that my software was up-to-date, and that it was downloading a games update. No indication of an already downloaded version ready to install.

So a couple of symptoms suggest that the guess that this procedure might clear the "already downloaded., pending install" status for 2022.40.4.1 has indeed worked out.

I suspect a 24-hour clock is ticking for it to consider a next update option. My guess is that it will just download 2022.40.4.1 all over again. Unless I see evidence that delay is constructive, sometime into next week I'll just let it install if it has indeed come back, and figure my next chance is the next "wide" release of V10, or possibly an earlier than I dare hope V11 (for which the most recent rumored build base is 2022.40--so I'd have a hope of getting it).

Reactions: MrFusion4
So this afternoon, after waiting for more wisdom and pondering my options, I did the Software re-install.

The total time was quite a bit shorter than the usual time to install new software, and most of it was spent with a progress bar showing in a single fixed position (maybe 55%-ish) and asserting that it was updating ECUs. Throughout the process there were quite a few mechanical sounds--various fans turning on and off, perhaps circulations pumps, latches... It was finished in about ten minutes.

Afterward, I was not immediately advised that I had a software update ready to install. Promising, perhaps.

I visited the software page on the car's menu, and was advised that my software was up-to-date, and that it was downloading a games update. No indication of an already downloaded version ready to install.

So a couple of symptoms suggest that the guess that this procedure might clear the "already downloaded., pending install" status for 2022.40.4.1 has indeed worked out.

I suspect a 24-hour clock is ticking for it to consider a next update option. My guess is that it will just download 2022.40.4.1 all over again. Unless I see evidence that delay is constructive, sometime into next week I'll just let it install if it has indeed come back, and figure my next chance is the next "wide" release of V10, or possibly an earlier than I dare hope V11 (for which the most recent rumored build base is 2022.40--so I'd have a hope of getting it).
Did you check the Autopilot menu and make sure you're still requesting FSD Beta?

keep us updated

Did you check the Autopilot menu and make sure you're still requesting FSD Beta?
I forgot to check that right away, but have now, and it advises that I am enrolled in the queue, and should touch the button if I want to opt out.

I still see the Safety Score in my app, though that will be more comforting as to my status once I've accumulated some new reported drives.

Fingers crossed.

I'm in a similar situation to you, except I had service send my car's current version (2022.36.6) to my car for re-install to get rid of 2022.40.4.1 that was downloaded, pending install. So my car is now on .36 and it says that it is up to date. I plan on checking again tomorrow, after 24 hours have passed. If it downloads 2022.40 again or if it still says it's up to date then I'm going to try un-enrolling from the FSD Beta queue and re-enrolling.

My post can be found here Looking for advise on getting the FSD Beta update

Reactions: MrFusion4
I'm in a similar situation to you, except I had service send my car's current version (2022.36.6) to my car for re-install to get rid of 2022.40.4.1 that was downloaded, pending install. So my car is now on .36 and it says that it is up to date.
We got there by different paths, but I agree that it may be we are in essentially the same situation. My guess is that the "you are up to date" message in this case is what we see because the infamous 24-hour delay window is in effect. Since we both got 2022.40.4.1 pushed to us before, at that time the system clearly did not think we were up-to-date. The key question for both of us is when the clock times out and the system decides we are not up-to-date, what will it send us?

One key difference is that the software I actually have installed is a factory build, 2022.28.300, whereas you have a general distribution build installed. I think it is far more likely you will go directly to FSDb than I, as by observation and some rumor, the system seems never in the past to have sent people straight from a factory build to any FSDb build. Of course, Elon might have someone change that, as it directly contradicts his representation of the intended current state of affairs.

Hence my most plausible hope for myself is that tomorrow it downloads 2022.36.6 to me. And then a day later it gives me the current FSDb. I confess I don't think that very likely. Whereas my hopes for you are much higher.

We got there by different paths, but I agree that it may be we are in essentially the same situation. My guess is that the "you are up to date" message in this case is what we see because the infamous 24-hour delay window is in effect. Since we both got 2022.40.4.1 pushed to us before, at that time the system clearly did not think we were up-to-date. The key question for both of us is when the clock times out and the system decides we are not up-to-date, what will it send us?

One key difference is that the software I actually have installed is a factory build, 2022.28.300, whereas you have a general distribution build installed. I think it is far more likely you will go directly to FSDb than I, as by observation and some rumor, the system seems never in the past to have sent people straight from a factory build to any FSDb build. Of course, Elon might have someone change that, as it directly contradicts his representation of the intended current state of affairs.

Hence my most plausible hope for myself is that tomorrow it downloads 2022.36.6 to me. And then a day later it gives me the current FSDb. I confess I don't think that very likely. Whereas my hopes for you are much higher.
24 hours have passed and I was able to check for updates again. still nothing. I removed myself from the beta queue and requested it again. Hopefully that will work...

Reactions: Jarvis20
I'm in the rather large group now on 2022.40.x, and wondering what Tesla's next step is for FSDb availability. Will it be a 10.69 variant that has been patched up to ride on the 2022.40 branch, or will it be a December release of FSDb version 11?

Meanwhile, there are already previews of release notes for 2022.44! I'd rather not have that show up on my car just yet.

We need some clarification from Tesla regarding the plan to synchronize these various tracks, and whether FSD owners should refuse further main-track updates in the meantime.

SO I got upgraded to 36.20 so am running FSDb 69.3.1 which is great.

I am pretty confused by FSD v11 which I know is on the 40.x branch of the software. Is that the new beta version that people enrolled in FSD Beta will eventually be upgraded to? Or is it basically the merge of 69.x to the new software for all FSD subscribers (not beta)?

False! Subscribed first thing yesterday morning after the news. Opted in. Still nothing. 2022.40. I get it that’s not the branch, but if they’re not going to downgrade us when why say it’s available to all!!? My money is wasting away. In
Yeah it's frustrating. But you should get v11 when it's released that's on 2022.40.5. It's immediately available to anyone running 2022.36 or less.

I took my Y to a service center, and when I picked it up it was off the beta (I'm now on 2022.40.4.1). Lots of goodies are here now (side-view moved with blinker, new icons, release driver door, new energy panel (nice!).. so now I've got to wait, it seems, for the street-driving ability (even though it says I'm on v11?)
Does Tesla always 'update' the firmware when they have the car in their possession? I just don't have time to go back to them and ask them to reinstall the beta-trunk of the OS again. I suppose with Elon saying all will have access to it, we should all be back in by the end of the year. We'll see..

I finally got the update today! Only thing I did differently was hit 100+ miles on autopilot before checking for updates. So while the safety score isn't a requirement, the 100 mile thing may still be blocking people from getting the beta
Did you in fact drop out of the FDSb request queue by hitting the button in the car, then sign back up by hitting it again??

Do you think visiting the software page triggered the actual moment of download when you had become eligible?

I'm in the rather large group now on 2022.40.x, and wondering what Tesla's next step is for FSDb availability. Will it be a 10.69 variant that has been patched up to ride on the 2022.40 branch, or will it be a December release of FSDb version 11?

Meanwhile, there are already previews of release notes for 2022.44! I'd rather not have that show up on my car just yet.

We need some clarification from Tesla regarding the plan to synchronize these various tracks, and whether FSD owners should refuse further main-track updates in the meantime.
Good luck. Tesla support is full of idiots who have no clue what’s going on. We seem to know more than them lol

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Good luck. Tesla support is full of idiots who have no clue what’s going on. We seem to know more than them lol
To be fair, my guess is that Tesla support personnel in the service and sales organizations are not being told anything. So it's not a question of their mental capacity, but it might be nice if they were at least a percentage of enthusiasts who could somewhat keep up with issues that the Tesla online community is struggling with.

Good luck. Tesla support is full of idiots who have no clue what’s going on
To be fair, my guess is that Tesla support personnel in the service and sales organizations are not being told anything. So it's not a question of their mental capacity, but it might be nice if they were at least a percentage of enthusiasts who could somewhat keep up with issues that the Tesla online community is struggling with.
After spending 110k on a model S… I’m not really in the mood to be fair at this point. I’m an exec for a large company. If my team promises a customer something, it better be done to the customer’s satisfaction. We’ve gotten into the habit of accepting less than quality with regard to Tesla.

After spending 110k on a model S… I’m not really in the mood to be fair at this point. I’m an exec for a large company. If my team promises a customer something, it better be done to the customer’s satisfaction. We’ve gotten into the habit of accepting less than quality with regard to Tesla.
That's true, and Tesla has not established a reputation of responsiveness or seamless coordination throughout the orgs. But I don't largely lay this on the people in the leaf positions; it's the trunk and branches that are allowing things to appear disjointed.

Knowing Tesla and the history of FSDb, It feels like the best way to get an answer is for someone to pester Elon on Twitter until he responds, probably with a vaguely worded answer that doesn't satisfy but at least confirms that the issue is known.

You can lay it at Elon's feet that a major feature, with now hundreds of thousands of users (and a lot of revenue about to be booked) in a critical rollout, is essentially disavowed by the service organization. It might have made some sense when there were a few thousand beta testers handled through the Autopilot team, but now it's a real deployment - or at least it ought to be.

That's true, and Tesla has not established a reputation of responsiveness or seamless coordination throughout the orgs. But I don't largely lay this on the people in the leaf positions; it's the trunk and branches that are allowing things to appear disjointed.

Knowing Tesla and the history of FSDb, It feels like the best way to get an answer is for someone to pester Elon on Twitter until he responds, probably with a vaguely worded answer that doesn't satisfy but at least confirms that the issue is known.

You can lay it at Elon's feet that a major feature, with now hundreds of thousands of users (and a lot of revenue about to be booked) in a critical rollout, is essentially disavowed by the service organization. It might have made some sense when there were a few thousand beta testers handled through the Autopilot team, but now it's a real deployment - or at least it ought to be.
Very true.