Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.40.4.1 am I screwed out of FSD beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a MYLR with FSD and received it two weeks ago, it came with software version 2022.40.4.1. I’ve done the 100+ miles on AP and have a safety score in the mid 90s. Am I screwed out of FSD beta because of the software version I have? Anything I can do?

Last edited:
I bought a MYLR with FSD and received it two weeks ago, it came with software version 2022.40.4.1. I’ve done the 100+ miles on AP and have a safety score in the mid 90s. Am I screwed out of FSD beta because of the software version I have? Anything I can do?

No, you are not screwed out of FSD Beta. New cars get a different software version and usually get "caught up" on the next software update. There is nothing you can do but wait patiently. There is a chance you will get FSD Beta on the next software update.

I have a model 3 RWD built in mid-October 2022 on which I took delivery November 2. It remains on the factory build which came with it (2022.28.300). For days now it has advised me that 2022.40.4.1 has been downloaded and is ready to install. I've not "hit the button", as I felt sure that would block me from getting the currently available FSDb at 2022.36.20.

I visited the software page on the car this morning, hoping that doing so would trigger 2022.36.20 download even though it showed 2022.40.4.1 as ready to install, but no dice.

TeslaFi's page for my current version 2022.28.300 shows zero cars to have gone straight from that to any FSDb version. TeslaFi's page for the current FSDb version 2022.36.20 shows zero cars have been promoted to that FSDb release from what looks like a "factory build" version number--not just mine.

I'm pondering how long to wait with 2022.40.4.1 pending install. I may not have been helping myself.

Go into the AP screen and see if you have a button to opt in to FSD Beta. If you do, then connect to wifi, you might get it. Elon did say that FSD Beta 10.69.3.1 is now available to everybody who paid for FSD even with no safety score.

EDIT: Your car is on a different software branch than FSD Beta since your car is new. That is why you don't have it yet. But on the next software update, you may get it. You have to wait until the software branches merge.

Last edited:
Go into the AP screen and see if you have a button to opt in to FSD Beta. If you do, then connect to wifi, you might get it. Elon did say that FSD Beta 10.69.3.1 is now available to everybody who paid for FSD even with no safety score.
I think that is for v11 of FSD beta. From what I read that is expected to come around the holidays (not guaranteed). v11, from what Elon said, will be available to anyone who chooses to opt-in.

2022.36.20 is FSD 10.69.3.1 so if your on a later update you probably will not get the beta until v11 is released and you opt-in. v11 of FSD Beta is currently running on 2022.40.5

EDIT: Your car is on a different software branch than FSD Beta since your car is new. That is why you don't have it yet. But on the next software update, you may get it. You have to wait until the software branches merge.
That’s what I did this morning - I’m on 2022.40.4.1 and opted in to FSD Beta. On my other car I got the FSD Beta 2022.36.20 download yesterday.

EDIT: This site is useful for keeping track of the branches…

Last edited:
There is zero evidence that they have stopped enforcing the rule that forbids "backward" installation sequence--So with a 40 in your second version number field, I think you can count on waiting until either the fabled FSD V11 shows up (last rumored to be in employee testing in a 2022.40.nnnnn version), or until the FSDb branch currently at 2022.36.20 (FSD version 10.69.3.1) gets a new version built on a .40 or later base. I think either of those events is probably weeks away for you.

Sadly I think it is also weeks away for me, even though my installed version is a .28. It appears I'm trapped anyway because .40.4.1 has downloaded and is waiting my permission to install. I'll wait a few more days hoping to see some evidence that people in my situation get in, but it looks bad to me, as it is for you.

Reactions: vanca
Sadly I think it is also weeks away for me, even though my installed version is a .28. It appears I'm trapped anyway because .40.4.1 has downloaded and is waiting my permission to install. I'll wait a few more days hoping to see some evidence that people in my situation get in, but it looks bad to me, as it is for you.
Could try service mode -> reinstall.

It might wipe the internal cache of the last download?

You bring up a very interesting point. There was talk awhile ago that some Teslas were having problems because there was an excess of cache building up (like the Windows TEMP directory getting full). The service person told the Tesla owner that the easy way to fix was to do a wipe/reload of the software/firmware on the car. This would suck in the past, as it would knock the person out of FSD Beta. However, with FSD Beta going wide, this may be an excellent option for some people, as they can get right back into the Beta afterwards.

That sounded like a real possibility to me.

So I went to the car and to the Service page (I've been going there to tilt up the headlights, for which the position as shipped to me is far too low for use on truly dark roads). The "closest" thing offered is "Factory Reset".

On the car, in the user manual reached from the service page, when I did a search, I was able to see a heading about re-installing software, but clicking on that heading (or any other) did not get me anywhere.

My model Y, which is on the latest FSDb release, also does not show a software reinstall command under Service.

After typing all that, I did some searching, and found a youtube video talking about using a software reinstall to get past a "stuck download". It showed a backdoor way to get to a code-enabled service mode which differs from the page offered on the normal user interface. I did spot a software reinstall button there. The text specifically advised it should only be used after a CAN ECU replacement (or something like that), and I backed out without trying it.

Is this the one you have in mind? Is there reason it is likely to be safe for me?

After typing all that, I did some searching, and found a youtube video talking about using a software reinstall to get past a "stuck download". It showed a backdoor way to get to a code-enabled service mode which differs from the page offered on the normal user interface. I did spot a software reinstall button there. The text specifically advised it should only be used after a CAN ECU replacement (or something like that), and I backed out without trying it.

Is this the one you have in mind? Is there reason it is likely to be safe for me?

Yep that one.

I’ve used it twice now for issues with firmware downloads and never had an issue.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
I think that is for v11 of FSD beta. From what I read that is expected to come around the holidays (not guaranteed). v11, from what Elon said, will be available to anyone who chooses to opt-in.

2022.36.20 is FSD 10.69.3.1 so if your on a later update you probably will not get the beta until v11 is released and you opt-in. v11 of FSD Beta is currently running on 2022.40.5
I was slightly incorrect. FSD 10.69.3.1 is available now to anyone who opts in to FSD beta and has either purchased or subbed to FSD

I was slightly incorrect. FSD 10.69.3.1 is available now to anyone who opts in to FSD beta and has either purchased or subbed to FSD
False! Subscribed first thing yesterday morning after the news. Opted in. Still nothing. 2022.40. I get it that’s not the branch, but if they’re not going to downgrade us when why say it’s available to all!!? My money is wasting away.