Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally agree. I’m still rocking 2022.20.8 which was/is the last version that doesn’t disable my radar, keeps my following distance of 1, and adds the mandatory use of auto wipers/high beams when enabling any version of autopilot. I hope to be able to keep that version until whatever new version goes back to those parameters, though I’m pretty sure that’ll not happen. I’ve had five newer versions downloaded, the latest being 2022.36.6. None of the announced features in subsequent software has piqued my interest enough to overcome the limitations as I see them.
I was skeptical too, but got forced into it by the other driver of the car accepting the update. It's way better than it was before, other than not being able to set AP at 90. Much, much more natural steering. Following distance is longer yes, but it was always a little dumb and now is much more consistent at its longer follow distance - fewer dumb/inadequate brake/accel events now, feels a lot more locked in at a set distance. It will no longer follow close enough to stop a cutoff in fast flowing traffic, but that was always a little fraught and had to pay close attention anyway

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I was skeptical too, but got forced into it by the other driver of the car accepting the update. It's way better than it was before, other than not being able to set AP at 90. Much, much more natural steering. Following distance is longer yes, but it was always a little dumb and now is much more consistent at its longer follow distance - fewer dumb/inadequate brake/accel events now, feels a lot more locked in at a set distance. It will no longer follow close enough to stop a cutoff in fast flowing traffic, but that was always a little fraught and had to pay close attention anyway
Understand, and good to learn. My use of the “1” following distance is stop-and-go rush hour Interstate traffic where it excels amazingly. A “2” distance in these conditions creates a gap anything can get into. This is both annoying to me and EVERYONE behind me who are only too ready to provide monosyllabic coaching with accompanying explanatory gestures. I plan to continue on 2022.20.8 a bit longer if I am able to. Since my wife doesn’t even want to ride in our Tesla much less drive or control it, no worries about her accepting an update.

Installed 2022.40.4.1 from 2022.40.4 last night before I went to bed. This morning I had an alert that there had been 7 attempts to start the vehicle with the wrong PIN. I have never seen that message before after an update. The car is in a garage and no one attempted to start the vehicle during the upgrade. Anyone else see this message after upgrading to 2022.40.4.1?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Installed 2022.40.4.1 from 2022.40.4 last night before I went to bed. This morning I had an alert that there had been 7 attempts to start the vehicle with the wrong PIN. I have never seen that message before after an update. The car is in a garage and no one attempted to start the vehicle during the upgrade. Anyone else see this message after upgrading to 2022.40.4.1?
yes, I saw the PIN message also after update to 40.4 but just dismissed the message and everything appears to be working normally.

Reactions: taztrooper
So my '22 MSLR has been on 36.6 for a while. I do have FSB but not part of beta (yet). I am on the "advanced" channel so I was kinda thinking i'd be getting something 40.x based soon-ish.

Being my first tesla, is all this kinda normal?

I have found 2022.40.4 to have a few new 'bugs' -

- got in the car the other day with the HV battery at 70%, however the dash battery icon showed empty (no green) and the car would not shift from P. I got out of the car, got back in and it showed the battery % properly and I was able to drive. No error/warning was associated with it.

- if I check the car remotely via the app, it always shows the internal temperature at 32F (it is currently 54 out...)

- occasionally the reverse camera doesn't come on when backing up.

- reporting 'key fob low battery' on both keyfobs, even though both batteries have been recently replaced.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4 and OxBrew
I have found 2022.40.4 to have a few new 'bugs' -

- got in the car the other day with the HV battery at 70%, however the dash battery icon showed empty (no green) and the car would not shift from P. I got out of the car, got back in and it showed the battery % properly and I was able to drive. No error/warning was associated with it.

- if I check the car remotely via the app, it always shows the internal temperature at 32F (it is currently 54 out...)

- occasionally the reverse camera doesn't come on when backing up.

- reporting 'key fob low battery' on both keyfobs, even though both batteries have been recently replaced.
It seems like sensor polling delays or something. OCcasionally the 32f thing is happening on mine, had a few "not showing charging on the display" instances when ti's really charging as well. I'm on 40.4.1. Not had the inability to start or reverse, if anything it's snappier than before bringing things up, they must have cleared out some cobwebs from that process.

Driving wise, it's better than it's ever been.

Reactions: cmy4x4
Does our opinion not matter to Tesla? Why are they taking away options and making everything automatic. I didn’t pay for the automatic driving feature so I wish they would leave my settings alone!
My guess is AP turns on autohighbeams and autowipers so it can see the road without Tesla having to rely on drivers to do it (even if drivers are better at it).

Reactions: navguy12
Along these same lines I long for a dumb cruise control that would happily drive me off the road at 65 mph without second guessing the speed I’ve set.

Too often while using TACC it’ll slow down next to other cars, because it thinks the curve in the road is too great for the speed, etc etc. just go the speed I’ve set already and I’ll slow down if necessary.

Along these same lines I long for a dumb cruise control that would happily drive me off the road at 65 mph without second guessing the speed I’ve set.

Too often while using TACC it’ll slow down next to other cars, because it thinks the curve in the road is too great for the speed, etc etc. just go the speed I’ve set already and I’ll slow down if necessary.
Been asking for dumb cruise control since day two of ownership, 4.5 years ago.

I‘d even tap any ”lawyer” button that essentially says I legally absolve Tesla of any liability due to my use of the dumb cruise control.

Drove an hour on a two lane highway last night that I do very frequently at night and can confirm, autopilot at night is now usable without blinding everyone. Very responsive to oncoming and pretty far out tail lights beyond the headlights.

This was honestly my biggest disappointment with ownership because I do this trip in the dark frequently and tend to be tired so autopilot helps. Now that the auto high beams are usable, I am super jazzed.

EDIT: Also subjectively, AP nags are less it seems and easier to correct, but hard to test in non subjective way.

Based on the graphs on TeslaFi, it looks like they have pushed the 2022.40.4.x software to a huge portion of the fleet - nearly 60%.
(60% doesn't seem like much at first glance, but >20% of others are on FSD branches, so the remaining cars leaves <20% on anything other than 2022.40.4.x.)
Normally, from the times I've checked, I'm used to seeing a kind of leap-frog cadence of two versions trading places with each other - not this much consolidation.

I wonder if this was finally the "big merge" that unified the branches of cars with different hardware?
Or perhaps the final stabilization before a disruptive holiday release?