Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 2019 received the 2022.44.25.1 update three days ago, and now it seems that the climate fan speed is no longer automatically controlled. When I start the clima (full Auto mode), the fan goes to MED speed (equivalent to 4) and remains at that speed indefinitely, despite having achieved the programmed temperature several minutes before. This happens with ~12ºC (54ºF) exterior, 20ºC (68ºF) interior. Before the update, and with similar exterior/interior temperatures, the fan started at speed 4 but quickly slowed down to speed 3.

The new LO/MED/HI fan speed controls are not shown in fuzzy gray or blue, which makes me think that they are not under automatic control. I would *really* hate losing the automatic fan speed control.

My car is a M3 2019 (so no heat pump).
I am with you here. At the very least you should be able set it the fan speed to Auto too, with the option for a LO/MED/HI override. If you have fan speed at MED, you might be wasting energy when the car only needs LO. I liked that Auto meant I didn't have to decide what fan speed was most efficient, and now that's gone.

The new LO/MED/HI fan speed controls are not shown in fuzzy gray or blue, which makes me think that they are not under automatic control. I would *really* hate losing the automatic fan speed control.
The point is it is still under automatic control you just get to influence it if you prefer more or less fan speed. MED is probably the same as it was, while LO would tell it you want a slower fan speed.

Reactions: buddhafree
No consistency with anything at Tesla.

I'd be more concerned with some of the other manufacturers who will chop and change parts and software providers

The bad news is that during the height of the chip shortage, Tesla was basically forced to keep revising parts, just to keep production running. So the software is more complicated to support all of the variants, and merging/testing the branches has almost certainly been difficult, with some amount of drivers being beta testers happening as a result.

The good news is that they did that - unlike other auto makers who simply said "Sorry, no more premium audio", "Tech package no longer available due to supply constraints", or "Sorry, we removed the rear entertainment option and didn't tell you". They hit the supply chain issues and simply bailed on entire features instead of redesigning parts and software to get around it.

So you're both right!

My M3 2019 received the 2022.44.25.1 update three days ago, and now it seems that the climate fan speed is no longer automatically controlled. When I start the clima (full Auto mode), the fan goes to MED speed (equivalent to 4) and remains at that speed indefinitely, despite having achieved the programmed temperature several minutes before. This happens with ~12ºC (54ºF) exterior, 20ºC (68ºF) interior. Before the update, and with similar exterior/interior temperatures, the fan started at speed 4 but quickly slowed down to speed 3.

My car is a M3 2019 (so no heat pump).

I am replying myself: FALSE ALARM!! 😅

For some unknown reason, the 2022.44.25.1 update put the climate's fan speed in *manual* MED setting. I *always* use the climate system in full auto mode (except, sometimes, the air recirculation setting), so I suppose that the cause was some glitch of the software update. Anyway, after tinkering with the climate controls, disabling and reenabling auto mode, etc., everything was back to normal. In fact, the fan speed controls are now shown in fuzzy gray, indicating that it's under automatic control again.

I have installed 2022.44.25.1, and have taken the car for a brief drive around the block. A few thoughts:

Apple Music integration is great. The interface is really neat and clean, and music sounds very good. No idea about what bitrate it's streaming at, but I don't care as long as it sounds good to my ear, and it does. For those interested, I see no sign of Dolby Atmos capability. I pulled up an album that I know has Dolby Atmos in Apple Music (Kind of Blue by Miles Davis) and the Atmos indicator that's present when browsing on the phone does not appear on the car's screen. But the album still sounds great. Also for those asking - yes, there's a shuffle button.

Having the media player closer to the driver is nice, if for no other reason than you can have media controls/display and the large map at the same time. I mainly use the steering wheel controls for controlling audio so I don't know how much I will interact with this, but it's nice to have it all the same. I also noticed you can flick up to get a larger view of the player, with additional controls, e.g., shuffle, favorites and recents.

Having the trip cards display back in the lower left corner is fantastic. My only complaint is that the elapsed time of the current trip is not displayed, as it was with the old cards system. I like knowing at a glance how long a particular drive is taking me. If you tap on the card, though, the full trips display pops up on top of the map, and you can see the elapsed time there, so this is still a big improvement over the most recent interface. On the trips screen, you can also select which trip meters are shown on the cards. Tapping on the small trips card again closes the large trips screen and restores the map view.

If the cards (either trips or tire pressure) are active, full media controls are available in the full-screen media app. (This would also be useful for allowing your front-seat passenger to control the audio while you're driving.) If you have the miniature media player active at the lower left, duplicate media controls do not appear at the top of the full-screen media app. It appears that there's no way to have the strip of media controls across the bottom of the map anymore.

Homelink controls no longer appear in the lower left corner of the screen, where the cards are. Instead, they've returned to the top of the screen. When they're not active, they are tiny. Some people aren't going to like this, I'm sure. However, when you're approaching your house and the car is getting ready to auto-open your garage, a larger drop-down appears, with an option to cancel, similar to what we would see prior to v11. This works fine for me, but those who struggle with small print may be frustrated.

On the flip side, navigation instructions appear to be significantly larger, and there's a new, separate panel at the bottom left of the screen for cancelling the trip, adding a stop or changing navigation options. Arrival time, time remaining on route and forecasted arrival charge level are also shown here. I'd rather those be closer to the top, as they've always been, but that'd probably make the box at the top too large, given the new larger directions.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the interface changes I've seen so far. I did drive on EAP this evening and behavior seemed mostly similar to what I've observed lately - overall good, but in stop and go traffic, starts from a dead stop when the car in front starts moving again tend to be a bit too abrupt and forceful. I would rather the car start moving more gradually and smoothly.
I just came from linking MyQ to my existing account and it works well. I’m going to use it during the trail period and make a decision whether I pay for the subscription in Jan. The icon to open the garage door is at the very top of the screen. I wish this can be moved to the bottom where other regularly used apps exist.

Apple Music looks and sounds great. Very happy since I’m a user.

I too like the player controls closer to me, this is a good move.

The point is it is still under automatic control you just get to influence it if you prefer more or less fan speed. MED is probably the same as it was, while LO would tell it you want a slower fan speed.
Don't have update yet but confused. In Auto the fan speed is variable. For instance if hot it will blow on high until the temp comes down and the fan speed will adjust down automatically. I have had an auto setting on my last several cars and they all worked.....well automatically, including the fan speed. So there is NO true Auto setting and you must manually set the fan speed? I can see offering a manual fan speed setting but this should be an option in Auto.

Reactions: Benito1283

For some unknown reason, the 2022.44.25.1 update put the climate's fan speed in *manual* MED setting. I *always* use the climate system in full auto mode (except, sometimes, the air recirculation setting), so I suppose that the cause was some glitch of the software update. Anyway, after tinkering with the climate controls, disabling and reenabling auto mode, etc., everything was back to normal. In fact, the fan speed controls are now shown in fuzzy gray, indicating that it's under automatic control again.

Just wanted to say "thank you" for coming back and providing a correction when you noticed it was different than what you originally stated. A lot of people (a lot lot actually) dont do that, so I am very appreciative when someone does.

Just wanted to say "thank you" for coming back and providing a correction when you noticed it was different than what you originally stated. A lot of people (a lot lot actually) dont do that, so I am very appreciative when someone does.

Just want to say, you’re a GREAT mod. Cool of you to say this. And thanks again for helping me out with my post yesterday and today! Wish more mods on the internet were actual helpful people.

Don't have update yet but confused. In Auto the fan speed is variable. For instance if hot it will blow on high until the temp comes down and the fan speed will adjust down automatically. I have had an auto setting on my last several cars and they all worked.....well automatically, including the fan speed. So there is NO true Auto setting and you must manually set the fan speed? I can see offering a manual fan speed setting but this should be an option in Auto.
No it is still an auto fan speed, you just get to influence if you want more or less airflow. I would think that the MED setting is the same as the old auto.

Reactions: JulienW

Interesting. So you're saying you can still have it in full Auto mode like it used to be (including the fan speed in Auto - now indicated by fuzzy gray or blue fan speed), OR the option to modify the fan speed to LO/MED/HI in Auto, which would then turn the fan speed solid blue?

Umm…The Auto selection is only to control the temperature, whereas the Fan Speed merely controls the airflow Volume You prefer.
Umm, no. The "old" Auto controlled everything except the temperature. It controlled fan speed, recirc, which vents were on, etc.

Now, when using Auto you have limited control over the fan speed. Essentially: Auto LO, Auto MED, or Auto HI. It still controls everything else as well.

When taken out of Auto mode the fan speed control reverts to a manual setting of 1 to 11.

Umm, no. The "old" Auto controlled everything except the temperature. It controlled fan speed, recirc, which vents were on, etc.

Now, when using Auto you have limited control over the fan speed. Essentially: Auto LO, Auto MED, or Auto HI. It still controls everything else as well.

When taken out of Auto mode the fan speed control reverts to a manual setting of 1 to 11.
Well my MSP doesn’t work that way Now.

Well my MSP doesn’t work that way Now.
Interesting. So to confirm, if you set the climate system to AUTO, then you make the set-temperature much higher or much lower than the current interior ambient temp, you're saying the car does not speed up the blower in an effort to reach the new setting faster?

That's surprising and definitely different than my car (actually my last couple of cars going back about 20 years). I may not agree with the exact profile of blower speed versus temperature delta, but the system does use blower speed as part of the Auto behavior.

Reactions: Benito1283
I can't say for sure, but it looks like Tesla instead of puling is pushing updates now. It's not waiting for the car to check for new version. I got last two updates 2-5 hours AFTER I checked for new version. If this is true then nothing can be done to force an update but wait.
For me it looks like the car is checking for update everyday at 7:30pm, and told me it is up to date at today…

Reactions: jc_52
For me it looks like the car is checking for update everyday at 7:30pm, and told me it is up to date at today…
Yes, it does. But it always says no updates available. At least for me.
That wasn't the point. The car checks for an update every 24 hours but it appears that updates are pushed from Tesla to the car at any point in time, whenever Tesla schedules it.

Last edited:
Anyone still checking the update but not getting it?
I am still on 2022.40.200, the car told me it is up to date.
Tesla software updates don't work the way anyone would expect. They roll out updates over many weeks and add in bug fixes along the way. "Up to date" = the latest they've enabled for your car. We just have to be patient. AFAICT the "advanced" software update option has no effect. A .200 release is typically for a new car and the first update typically takes longer.

More background in this single post. No need to read the rest of the thread:

Info on fleet updates among cars sharing data with teslafi:

Unofficial release notes:

Tesla software updates don't work the way anyone would expect. They roll out updates over many weeks and add in bug fixes along the way. "Up to date" = the latest they've enabled for your car. We just have to be patient. AFAICT the "advanced" software update option has no effect. A .200 release is typically for a new car and the first update typically takes longer.

More background in this single post. No need to read the rest of the thread:

Info on fleet updates among cars sharing data with teslafi:

Unofficial release notes:
Thanks, haha, the many many “no“s in the thread summarized it so well :)