Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.8.10.1 on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I went ahead and processed the update (take a shot every time I say "update") and so far I'm happy.
Due to the comments below from IIaforest I think updating is now the smart thing to do.

It took quite a while for us to get V11 after the MCU2 users, I presume that is due to extensive testing in the older MCU1's and revisions to ensure quality? Have Tesla finally changed their ways and prioritized quality control over speed of delivery? (At least in terms of firmware updates, not talking about delivery of new vehicles :) Will we not need 3 more software updates for inevitable bug fixes? No, we probably will. ;)
It's updating the maps now so hopefully we'll see waypoints with new map data?

Well, after rejoicing after receiving Tidal I am now optimistic that they haven't completely forgotten about us MCU1 users, and maybe the next update may have waypoints?
Anyone with the update can say if the UI is slower?
The Tegra is already stretched in our MCU1, going from v10 to v11 make it worst or not? I read some news less than a year back that John Carmack was suppose to help make the UI faster... Never heard from that but I was looking for this too and maybe this v11 includes his work.
I did notice (probably comments in this thread) that my browser did work after the last update(2021.24.48), the first time in 3 years. Not that I care, as I don't use it anyway, but for sure some of the code must have been changed which improved efficiency. I assumed because of this person's input and expertise. I can say I haven't had a spontaneous reboot in many months. I only forced a reboot 2 times: once after they put it in service mode after a windshield replacement and an error message in the cluster wouldn't clear (even the bodyshop hadn't seen that before). And once after botching a voice control the right side of the cluster went blank for several minutes. Haven't had enough time to make a judgement of this latest update.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Well we all do, as the majority of posts around here lately are regarding the Plaid, and refresh, which make even the Raven seem old! And most of the MCU1 people have abandoned us and gone to the MCU2, so even software posts on a 2014 are irrelevant.
But hey, thanks for your first post after joining 2.5 years ago!
Yeah I can see that - hehe, yeah you can say I haven't been much active 😅

After using this version for the past 10 days, so far I don't regret doing the upgrade.

There's nothing about it that is annoying me yet. Several things that are new/nice (configurable dock), nicer looking UI. No issues with supercharging or regular charging. UI Performance seems roughly the same as before. Navigation performance seems the same - putting in destinations that are far away are quite a bit slower to load a route than it was years ago.

Soon I'll be doing a ~250 mile drive that I've frequently done before, so we'll see how autopilot does.

File a service request in the app and ask them to re-deploy the firmware.
Thanks, just tried that, they told me that the update failed on my vehicle and that it might have been sent to me in error, possibly based on the service appointment I have scheduled (and unfortunately rescheduled many times against my will) to have MCU2 installed. Said they can’t resend it. Thought it was compatible with MCU1?

Thanks, just tried that, they told me that the update failed on my vehicle and that it might have been sent to me in error, possibly based on the service appointment I have scheduled (and unfortunately rescheduled many times against my will) to have MCU2 installed. Said they can’t resend it. Thought it was compatible with MCU1?
It's rolling out *only* on MCU1, as far as anyone can tell.

So I installed it Yesterday on my 85D MCU1, HW1 with eMMC fix and it went well with 780MB download, then it found the map update with 6.2GB download... Did not test too much yet but played with the bottom bar customization... Not sure I like how the radio is all split in sources now but will need to play with it a bit to see if I can find my marks. We are equally using FM, Streaming, Bluetooth and I feel I will not see a much as before side by side but it might just be me reacting to change. Will report back after I used the car a little bit more.

I did the update yesterday on my 2017, AP2.5, MCU1, pre eMMC fix car.

Overall smooth update and I do like the new interface. The car feels just as fast/slow as before. Certain things work well, others choppy and laggy. Don't use (didn't try) browser and I did not stick around for the map to update.

I really like the Charge Stats in the mobile app. Being able to select and see the cost of my specific energy plan at PGE is nice. Also like the customized command bar and that the profiles have even more separation than before. Wish they could figure out a way to put my rearview mirror back after the wife drives the car but I guess I can live with that. :)

• Funny
Reactions: ayavner
Finally got to do a ~4h highway drive on this version. Autopilot seemed like it might have been slightly better than before. Felt a little smoother. But nothing major.

One thing I just noticed recently is that sometimes my trunk fails to open when pressing the button on the trunk. Sometimes another press, or a longer press will open it. Sometimes it just won't open with the button. But it will via the app or the fob. The number of times it's happened since getting this version is probably more than it's happened since I've had the car. Not sure if it's this version of software, or something else that just started to cause it.

Finally got to do a ~4h highway drive on this version. Autopilot seemed like it might have been slightly better than before. Felt a little smoother. But nothing major.

One thing I just noticed recently is that sometimes my trunk fails to open when pressing the button on the trunk. Sometimes another press, or a longer press will open it. Sometimes it just won't open with the button. But it will via the app or the fob. The number of times it's happened since getting this version is probably more than it's happened since I've had the car. Not sure if it's this version of software, or something else that just started to cause it.
I'd seriously consider changing the trunk release latch. It's a very common problem and a pain to swap if it fails totally. Car isn't lockable when it goes out and autopilot and a bunch of other things are disabled.

I just installed this update and it seems quite a bit faster so far from a minute of playing with it, although I haven't driven the car yet. Voice navigation worked on the first try for the first time in years! I have an MCU2 upgrade scheduled, but I think I may cancel it if this performs as well as I am hoping.

anyone seeing issues with formatting USB Drives for DashCam - ? I have tried multiple USB (MicroSD) cards (128GB Samsung EVO Pro, 64GB PNC) that used to work and now I am getting format error while preparing the drive for dashcam?
I manually created the "TeslaCam" folder and this seems to fix the drive usability (Still does not fix he formatting error message)

Reactions: dbldwn02
I just installed this update and it seems quite a bit faster so far from a minute of playing with it, although I haven't driven the car yet. Voice navigation worked on the first try for the first time in years!

Yeah, give it time. ;)Actually after the last 2021 update I thought the voice control worked much better, and at times it does, then other times it doesn't connect at all, and the right side of the screen even goes blank for several minutes. I notice no difference with this 2022 update.
I have an MCU2 upgrade scheduled, but I think I may cancel it if this performs as well as I am hoping.
I had the same thought regarding the MCU2 update, but I now think of living a little while longer with MCU1 because of Tidal. The graphics have actually changed in the cluster as well because of this update, which seems to have modernized it a bit. When the SD card starts crapping out I will then reconsider the options.

Reactions: dbldwn02
I've never heard of Tidal. Is an account required? Is it available in the US, too?
(Haven't gotten this version download yet).
Yes, absolutely you can get it in US. Yes, like Spotify you need a subscription. Honestly though, if you didn't care about Spotify you probably don't care about Tidal.

Elon's buddy, Jack Dorsey's Square company is a majority owner as of last year; probably part of the reason it is available in this car, if you follow the corporate side of things.

https://tidal.com/about

The MCU2 people have had it for a while now. Some threads:

Tidal vs Spotify

Ok, I tried Tidal, and…(and “premium” audio too)

Free 90 day trial of TIDAL HiFi Plus for new customers

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
It is different. Interesting that the browser eventually loads, so that is new. Seems like a lot of UI for the poor Tegra.
I have an old original Microsoft Surface which has the very same Tegra. It runs Windows and the UI is still very snappy, browser usable, etc. So it is possible to write responsive software for that chip, it’s just that Tesla has no clue how to write well optimized software. They hire web developers for their car software, hence their UI uses many towers of abstraction and looks like a web app - UI design for a tablet rather than automotive UI mean for a human driver too. Last but not least this has security implications, such as the recently disclosed ability to stealthily register malicious new keys as long as the attacker is within BT range when you unlock your car with your phone.