Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.8.10.1 on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10% for me. Only upsets me when it skips Hailey Steinfeld or The Hansen Brothers.
one song in every 10 songs? Yes, I would say the same for my experience, and it always seems it would skip on the song I was enjoying the most. In about 5 hours of Tidal it has not done it once. Also, if it does skip with Tidal, (I think it was the same for Spotify) at least you can skip backwards and play the song again.

If you are Slacker only I'll ask you as I'm curious: How frequently do you get songs that don't finish because it randomly skips to the next song?
Never.

Are you in an area with spotty cell service? I have noticed that when service is briefly lost in the mountains and the current song 's buffer is exhausted, a new song will start when service is restored.

Never.

Are you in an area with spotty cell service? I have noticed that when service is briefly lost in the mountains and the current song 's buffer is exhausted, a new song will start when service is restored.
It skips all the time regardless of cell strength. The telling proof is the fact that Spotify or Tidal does not do it in the same areas. This is of course with many months of data, not just a bad day or week etc.

But I am surprised it doesn't with yours. Just searched and it does it on others even with the MCU2:

Slacker radio: song skips MCU2

Reactions: dbldwn02
I have several of those. Snappy isn’t what I remember before they went into the closet years ago. I agree Tesla could optimize for them. But I wouldn’t if I were running dev.
Tesla UI used to be a lot more responsive on MCU1 for example back in v6 days. That was when more code was running native than today's web app. It was also actually designed by someone thinking of driver's experience, rather than an app developer paid to make it look trendy without regard for usability while driving (and yes, I heard the Elon company line - MCU software is written to entertain the passengers while the car drives itself, which is all that it needs to do because there is no driver in that scenario, ROFL). I also get why they will not optimize their code, because flashy sells better than functional or responsive. As long as it's below the customer's threshold of pain when new, after that, Tesla doesn't care - they already got the money for the sale. There is no money whatsoever to be made by Tesla by investing in code for older cars.

I wish Tesla would adopt the Microsoft Office Model - provide patches for any major version for free, but charge money for any new major version, or have people pay a subscription to always have the latest. That would at least provide them with revenue stream to fund better development (though I realize that Elon might squander that on whatever his latest brainfart is rather than actual software development). Of course that also requires features to be actually finished and out of beta , which has never been a Tesla thing either. Elon really should have named Tesla Betabet instead (since Alphabet is already taken, and Vaporbet is not totally true to form since Tesla does deliver beta products eventually, just never a finished product).

2015 S 85D MCU1 with emmc/LTE "fix." I had held off on 2021.24.28 but when it was in for service they installed that (I failed to instruct not to), but I didn't notice any particular changes pro or con. Now same dilemma for this update. Damn, if they only permitted a rollback to the prior installed version we wouldn't have to go through this every time! Even an option to download a current image to flashdrive and restore from it would solve this.

I also have a Model 3/MCU2.5 with the V11 software, so I know what to expect here with this update. But surely it is not exactly the same other than perhaps the UI itself. Can any of you tell me:

1. Any problem with TuneIn or USB flash MP3? Related, on the Model S/v10 when playing USB flash MP3's it shows the amount of time the current selection has already played on the left and the amount of time remaining on the right (v10 made the font very small though). They left this off the Model 3/v11 version. Might also be a problem tapping the slider bar to move to another spot. Will this update break this display?

2. I assume I will still have AM and FM radio? I ask because not possible with an MCU upgrade.

3. Did they finally add the capability to separately set the mph above the speed limit for warnings (which exists in v10) and for the automatic cruise control setting (exists on the Model 3/v11)?

4. Release notes shown here reference the Dashcam. I'm confused on this. The Model S MCU1 cars have no dashcam. Does this update add a dashcam? Of course there are no side cameras, but there is a front windshield camera and a backup camera, and I assume that a dashcam only needs the former. If so, how about Sentry? I'd guess not but seems possible with two cameras and ultrasound sensors.

5. The Model 3 v11 UI of course is landscape orientation and these old Model S' use portrait. This update provides v11 UI with portrait orientation? Any problems with that? Related, a few UI versions back they eliminated the ability to select top/bottom display windows, I guess because that makes no sense in landscape. Can't imagine this has been restored. But then again, that really was mostly useful with the browser (when it used to work). Now that works intermittently and mostly only when parked. So for mental health I don't try it very often as it gets me quite worked up.

6. When V11 came out on the newer models there was a lot of talk/griping over the screen real estate devoted to visualizations and font MPH sizes, etc. That is mostly for Model 3/Y that only have the flatscreen and no IC display. Any comments on changes here with v11 finally deployed to MCU1?

Thank you,
---Robert

2. I assume I will still have AM and FM radio? I ask because not possible with an MCU upgrade…

Yes, AM FM radios work

4. Release notes shown here reference the Dashcam. I'm confused on this. The Model S MCU1 cars have no dashcam. Does this update add a dashcam? Of course there are no side cameras, but there is a front windshield camera and a backup camera, and I assume that a dashcam only needs the former. If so, how about Sentry? I'd guess not but seems possible with two cameras and ultrasound sensors…

Although you have AP1 cameras on MCU1, others can have AP2 or AP2.5 cameras on MCU1, so their dashcam and sentry features will be different than yours.

Does the AP1 front camera wiring even connect to the MCU1?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Installed it on an AP1 Model S MCU1. New UI, so less functionality, but surprisingly no noticeable slowdown. Once I put the defroster buttons on main screen, similar to before except:
1. Rear camera view cannot be dragged as high up as before
2. Not enough room to replicate all the same button layout (maybe if "recent apps" was removable)

So generally, still works almost the same, so nothing to get excited about. I haven't tested all functionality, but as long as they haven't further broken things, it's fine. It would be nice if they fixed stuff they broke before, but I'm not holding my breath.

1. Rear camera view cannot be dragged as high up as before

This one is really bothering me. It seems to stem from their dumb decision to attach the camera to the media player starting in v10. Now the media player is shorter, so the camera is lower. I really liked the original UI where you could have any two apps on the screen, in any order top to bottom.

This one is really bothering me. It seems to stem from their dumb decision to attach the camera to the media player starting in v10. Now the media player is shorter, so the camera is lower. I really liked the original UI where you could have any two apps on the screen, in any order top to bottom.
So did I. Also there is no need to strain the MCU with drawing useless map rendering just around the edges when having 2 apps on the screen. Maybe it makes me a grumpy old man who doesn't like change, but I honestly think every change since v6 has been for the worse in terms of usability. Elon seems to choose form over function every time, though it appears to work for him. I guess flashy and cool looking sells more cars than functional. As a sales person, you gotta know your audience, and Elon seems to have dialed in on the crowd he wants - probably similar people who would install a giant spoiler on a Toyota Yaris because "it looks cool" (to them), even if it has no functionality whatsoever (except maybe lower the fuel economy).

Maybe it makes me a grumpy old man who doesn't like change, but I honestly think every change since v6 has been for the worse in terms of usability.
I have no problem with change, as long as it's change for the better and not change for the sake of change.

Personally, I think V8 was my favorite. What bothers me most about Tesla and its OTA updates is I bought certain features and a bill of goods. Many of those features have disappeared or have gotten worse over the years.

I have no problem with change, as long as it's change for the better and not change for the sake of change.

Personally, I think V8 was my favorite. What bothers me most about Tesla and its OTA updates is I bought certain features and a bill of goods. Many of those features have disappeared or have gotten worse over the years.

Exactly. I used to always keep camera on the top half of the display, and map in the bottom. But that’s no longer possible. I lost functionality that was originally part of the car.