Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.8.10.1 on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 P85+ here with eMMc 64gb replacement but no LTE modem and pre auto pilot.
This update actually sped up the overall performance of the MCU. No longer clunky, slow, and lag-y. Granted, there is still *some* lag but no where to the amount there was to the previous software.
2022.8.10.1 also invalidates the need to upgrade to MCU2; If you can get a refurbished MCU1 unit or can piece one together with a new sub-assembly.

This is how I feel. No longer feel like I need to spend $2,000 for Netflix. I got everything I needed in the V11 update with speed, bug fixes and app control.

Last edited:
I seem to be stuck on 2021.24.28 with my 2013 Model S p85. This surprises me because I see posts from other MCU 1, no autopilot, emmc fix, modem upgrade users that are able to get to 2022.8.10.1 . Only difference 8 can think of is the ccs upgrade or my region NL. Any suggestions? I would really like the new version so I can use a tidal subscription in the car.

My model S p85 from 2013 is still on 2021.24.28 and won't show any updates for 2022.8.10.1 . Since I see users with similar config (MCU1 no AP eMMC fix and modem upgrade) getting the update I was wondering there is anything I can do to get it to appear. Would love to use tidal in the car and get some more up to date map data... Any suggestions?

Do you have your updates on advanced? Also have you tried rebooting the MCU? Lastly has it sat at least a few hours with a good Wi-Fi connection? I have the same setup as you, but a 60 and a 14, but I did in fact get the upgrade.

Add me to the list of one of the people who have the new update on MCU1 with an in-progress bar for map updates for weeks now. Car sits on solid WiFi pretty much every single night so the issue isn't connectivity. Slightly annoying.

Related: Has anyone else noticed that your turn-by-turn voice guidance will occasionally say "Right" when it's actually a left turn, and vice versa? I'm not 100% but I believe this behavior began with the latest firmware update. I thought maybe I was losing my mind the first time it happened but I've experienced it multiple times now and even my wife has noticed it so it's not just me. Seems to be an odd voice guidance bug as the route is fine... it just tells you to turn the wrong way via voice even though the map itself displays the proper direction/turn.

Update on my circumstance - they suspect it is the SD card that holds the nav data, so i have a SC appointment tomorrow to get that resolved. They tried to reformat it remotely and start over, but that didn't help so in we go...

I even moved the access point into the garage and signal strength was excellent, yet the download speed never got much above dialup speeds...

Reactions: rotx
Update on my circumstance - they suspect it is the SD card that holds the nav data, so i have a SC appointment tomorrow to get that resolved. They tried to reformat it remotely and start over, but that didn't help so in we go...

I even moved the access point into the garage and signal strength was excellent, yet the download speed never got much above dialup speeds...
Assuming your SC appointment actually happens as scheduled (when does it ever), and if they fix it, could you try to find out more about what they did? I wonder whether the old cards are simply too small, or too small once they have a few bad sectors, or whether this is just their way of saying they don't know. It would be interesting to know what they replaced it with, capacity wise. There's too many of us here with the same problem that only popped up with this latest update to make this a random hardware issue.
Also, how much they charged you of course...

Reactions: ayavner
Not sure if anyone here has gotten it yet, but there is a 1gig map update that just got pushed to a lot of devices. Would love to have the 2022 update, but scared on how well that will work getting downloaded. 😳

Nope... looks like the MCU itself is corrupt, guess I’ll accelerate the timetable for the mcu2 upgrade, ugh...

and of course, another appointment and wasted day...
Sorry to hear this. I use the Plano SC as well. I am a tiny bit skeptical though whether they actually diagnosed the issue -- "corrupt" is not a very technical term and while I would give them the benefit of the doubt, it sounds an awful lot like handwaving...
Did you ever have any nav issues before? Supposedly a broken card causes all kinds of issues, startup, tile display, etc...
There's another thread about swapping the cards (2015 Model S Nav Map SD Card Swap?). I ordered a "32GB" endurance card from best buy ($10, free shipping, not a terrible expense) and as much as I hate taking the dash apart, I'll watch this thread for a while longer, and I might end up swapping it myself. The 32GB is double what the car came with. Tesla apparently will sell one for $20, but it's most likely going to be 16GB again.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbldwn02
Sorry to hear this. I use the Plano SC as well. I am a tiny bit skeptical though whether they actually diagnosed the issue -- "corrupt" is not a very technical term and while I would give them the benefit of the doubt, it sounds an awful lot like handwaving...
Did you ever have any nav issues before? Supposedly a broken card causes all kinds of issues, startup, tile display, etc...
There's another thread about swapping the cards (2015 Model S Nav Map SD Card Swap?). I ordered a "32GB" endurance card from best buy ($10, free shipping, not a terrible expense) and as much as I hate taking the dash apart, I'll watch this thread for a while longer, and I might end up swapping it myself. The 32GB is double what the car came with. Tesla apparently will sell one for $20, but it's most likely going to be 16GB again.
Well here is a twist! That is exactly what they did (replaced the SD card) and after waiting most of the day, declared that it didn't solve the problem and sent me on my way with an appointment to upgrade the infotainment system to MCU2. This morning I checked on it, and it has UPDATED! Not only has it updated, but it has gone to an even more-recent version than it was trying to download in the first place! it does look like they used the 16GB replacement.

Soo, I think they were correct in their first assessment and just lacked patience - I could have told them that the progress bar had made it farther than previous attempts. Funny, I also thought of it as "handwaving" given that I had not had any other issues, even the normal v11 update worked perfectly.

Still slow as all get-out, so I will probably go ahead with the MCU update just to future-proof myself a little bit. Also the smaller unit is starting to develop some goo around the edges.

I'll drive around for a while and make sure I don't have any new "features" but looks like that did it!

We are getting the new 2022 map updates! I feel special after being ignored for so long with all updates on MCU1 and getting 3 updates in 30 days 🤣 Cranking it out at 536 KB/s we will see how long until it downloads and works.

F77BE813-3655-4420-A693-E9BBC37CAB85.jpeg

Last edited:
Well here is a twist! That is exactly what they did (replaced the SD card) and after waiting most of the day, declared that it didn't solve the problem and sent me on my way with an appointment to upgrade the infotainment system to MCU2. This morning I checked on it, and it has UPDATED! Not only has it updated, but it has gone to an even more-recent version than it was trying to download in the first place! it does look like they used the 16GB replacement.

Soo, I think they were correct in their first assessment and just lacked patience - I could have told them that the progress bar had made it farther than previous attempts. Funny, I also thought of it as "handwaving" given that I had not had any other issues, even the normal v11 update worked perfectly.

Still slow as all get-out, so I will probably go ahead with the MCU update just to future-proof myself a little bit. Also the smaller unit is starting to develop some goo around the edges.

I'll drive around for a while and make sure I don't have any new "features" but looks like that did it!
Great! So how much did they charge you for this?

Great! So how much did they charge you for this?
Actually, they ended up doing it as goodwill since at the time they did not think they had solved anything, and since I am on the schedule for the MCU2 upgrade. I thought about canceling that, but I had planned to do the upgrade anyway and hopefully this means I won't be in the same spot next time an update pushes.

So it only cost me a good portion of the day waiting and going back and forth.