Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.8.3 - screen font is HUGE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t want to come off as rude, but after my car updated to 2022.8.3 this afternoon, the screen looks like I put it in “Easy Read” mode for my grandmother. Everything has jumped 1-2 point font sizes. I HATE it. Nav directions on the left side of the map appear to take up 50% more space.

It doesn’t appear to allow “zoom” sizes to be changed anywhere I can find.

Apparently lots of folks have asked for larger fonts, and I can sympathize, but for a young driver with 20/20 vision who keeps his devices on the smallest font size, to fit more information onto the screen, this just feels cringey.

Attachments

• A0F4EC6D-04C3-456B-ADBE-35DD4DF519CA.jpeg
    A0F4EC6D-04C3-456B-ADBE-35DD4DF519CA.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 361
  • Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Ok. That makes sense. You want the looks and I want the function. Tesla could do a sensor fusion and will satisfy everyone!
That’s not fair, a lot of my issues are aesthetics but that doesn’t change the fact that the granny-sized text obscures space that could be used to display more directions when navigating. It’s the worst of both worlds behind my shades.

But is the speedometer any bigger? (there was a decent number of complaints about that). Honestly the bigger fonts in the photo above look good, and better readability for a safety critical display is better even if you think it looks dorky or some such. Now if they switched to comic sans I would support going nuclear.
This is 100% subjective. A bigger font on any car, regardless of manufacturer, could possibly make for a safer drive for the occularly impaired.

The annoyance levels that granny-mode is causing in me is equally subjectively dangerous. Road raging hard right now. /s

Reactions: Charles415
The bigger font on top doesn't obscure info. It just makes the interface look goofy and low-tech I hate it.

That’s not fair, a lot of my issues are aesthetics but that doesn’t change the fact that the granny-sized text obscures space that could be used to display more directions when navigating. It’s the worst of both worlds behind my shades.
you just said it doesn’t obscure info…now you’re complaining that it does?

Personally, I think the V11 icons are gaudy, but that’s also personal preference/opinion. I can’t see that a slightly larger font at the compromises anything and for people who have worse vision it can make a significant difference in usability. I agree, it would be nice if they had a setting that allowed for adjusting the font size but given the number of complaints I saw from people who found the old font difficult to read I think this is probably a good move.

you just said it doesn’t obscure info…now you’re complaining that it does?

Personally, I think the V11 icons are gaudy, but that’s also personal preference/opinion. I can’t see that a slightly larger font at the compromises anything and for people who have worse vision it can make a significant difference in usability. I agree, it would be nice if they had a setting that allowed for adjusting the font size but given the number of complaints I saw from people who found the old font difficult to read I think this is probably a good move.