Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Apple CarPlay update vs Tesla UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Open for development? 100% Their SDK is super powerful and allows developers to take advantage of a ton of OS related features. AppStore is massive. So is PlayStore on Android but that’s not very relevant considering it’s a CarPlay vs Tesla UI thread.

Where is it?

View attachment 816008

Maybe I’m blind, point me in the right direction.
Stop using your eyes.

Use the force Luke. I mean your voice.

1655095193589.png

I may be the only one but I prefer Tesla UI over carplay. I think this would greatly benefit cars like polestar as they are running on something like a version of android os. Tesla has its own os and I don’t think it outdated. I think the Tesla os has a simple look and shows you what’s needed. Maybe they can pull some apple Os developers and have them improve the Tesla Os in some ways but I like it.

That’s my two cents

tesla cant even re-implement usb search after we lost that with the holiday update!

Reactions: Ramphex
I understand there are opportunities with Tesla software. But it’s the best compared to any other car manufacturers Os. Other manufacturers will win and gladly pay apple to have car play fully integrated. Bmw, Honda, polestar, etc. they all would
Benefit. Good for marketing and one less area to worry about. Tesla keeps it simple. It may not be for everyone but I don’t need a cloudy image of the weather, lyrics from a song playing, or read text messages/respond, etc. again, yes, Tesla could improve on some things. Like the blind spot camera displaying on the bottom left of the screen where your hand will almost always block it. But overall I prefer Tesla over CarPlay.

View attachment 813407

I really would love to have this. And Apple CarKey to avoid carrying a separate key with me. Unfortunately I cannot wait to 2024. Thus my next car will probably just have a regular old-fashioned wireless CarPlay.

With the most car-buyers having Apple CarPlay / Android Auto as one of the key criteria for choosing a car, it will be interesting how long Tesla (and Rivian) can hold the fort. With the next gen CarPlay taking over instruments, urge to integrate with iOS/Android will just increase.

The foundational phenomenon here is that people typically upgrade their mobile phone every couple of years, getting a new CPU/GPU and the latest OS design paired with it. Any car not projecting UI from the mobile will end up looking outdated in 3-4 years from the purchase. (Speaking from experience with MCU1 crippled Model S here). Furthermore, car manufacturer specific app stores have little chance of competing with Android and iOS for the developer time: thus no apps without Android Auto / Apple CarPlay.
Wow. That is the interaction/useful dashboard display of my dreams. My 3‘s software is like the child that had so much promise, potential, and capability to achieve, but never amounted to any of it. Also like said individual, says will do it tomorrow, but after years of failed promises and backwards disappointing behaviour, you know it will never be much more than it is now.

Reactions: ianc and Ramphex
You mean you don’t currently enjoy console quality gaming in your Tesla? 🤭

The key is customization. If the simple folks want to leave things as is, they could, but the other group, they’ll have a choice to make things custom, how they like it.

I don’t know how someone could say the not customizable UI is “better”. Wouldn’t it be better to have features and not use them, than to just not have them at all? What if one day you want to tinker and use them?

And WhatsApp. And podcasts. I’m in the UK so I make use of the BBC Sounds app on CarPlay as well. And voice control that actually works.

I’ve seen people mention a Tesla App Store but why would Apple, Waze, Meta, the BBC or anyone else waste development time on what is, in the grand scheme of things, a niche car manufacturers OS?
Especially when that OS runs on different CPUs requiring multiple versions of those apps to function on all cars.

I've never owned a CarPlay compatible car, I wish I had. But, I've rented a couple. There were definitely glitches, particularly on wireless connectivity. But, on the whole, it seemed there were some advantages over Tesla's (otherwise strong) OS. The ones that stand out to me are:
  • total integration with the Apple's Contacts, including relationships ("call my mother on her mobile phone");
  • more sophisticated native Maps (including multiple routes, which may just be coming to Tesla maps);
  • MUCH better integration of messaging (including much safer interaction as messages are read and dictated, and group messaging);
  • better handling of phone calls (notably multiway calls); and
  • and increasingly vast library of third-party apps.

Apple's preview is exciting, but today's CarPlay has advantages.

Just my $.02.

I’m interested to see if Tesla will compete…. Especially with the layoffs and current work load being increased on the remaining employees.
Compete with what? They have a UI they designed for their car. You could always wait for the Apple Car release. As for layoffs, if you don’t have parts it’s hard to keep people building. Pretty standard business logic. They won’t be the last company doing layoffs in the upcoming economy.

Compete with what? They have a UI they designed for their car. You could always wait for the Apple Car release. As for layoffs, if you don’t have parts it’s hard to keep people building. Pretty standard business logic. They won’t be the last company doing layoffs in the upcoming economy.
Also, what some people don't understand is that a lot of time corporate fiscal mismanagement is not the one boss at the top sucking up money, but the creation and cost of so many useless departments all with their own VPs, directors, managers, and staff. I've worked for some fairly healthcare companies that literally had more "vice presidents" (not to mention associated staff) than they did clinicians to bring in the money and further their mission. I use past tense because they went under. I would guess that's a big part of what's killing legacy auto: death by a thousand departments with a thousand different agendas. Any effort to streamline and run lean at any level, I support.

When Tesla stops meaningfully innovating and starts creating departments out of thin air... is when I start thinking of selling.

Compete with what? A more customizable UI, that’s what.

“It’s a really difficult time in the industry, where the car companies think they’re still building cars. They’re not. They’re building software on wheels, and they don’t know it, and they’re trading it away.”