Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Apple CarPlay update vs Tesla UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

“It’s a really difficult time in the industry, where the car companies think they’re still building cars. They’re not. They’re building software on wheels, and they don’t know it, and they’re trading it away.”
This is very interesting...it looks like the only person to realize early on what’s happening is Elon...which explains why he was steadfastly resisted Apple and made a parallel program

Reactions: Yelobird and mspohr
The new Apple Carplay looks incredible. Really cool to customize all the different options. Going to make much larger screens like the Mercedes S Class a more common thing. but I know for sure Apple will charge a high amount to the dealerships for this feature & thus the dealership may pass the cost down to you.
BMW did this to many customers where after X years you have to pay $120+/year. Not a huge amount for the convenience, but still, Tesla owners have wifi built into the vehicle with an advanced UI compared to any other manufacturer to date. Other manufacturers can't even build a good enough one and people want the Apple/Google integration.
Not to mention TSLA can duplicate any feature they want since it's a UI update pushed to the vehicle. More customization will be a growing demand for sure on TSLA interface.

• Disagree
Reactions: mspohr and Zilla91
I believe the issue with CarPlay is that your customers become Apple's customers - and Elon is not willing to give them that kind of control. Perhaps there is behind the scenes talk to put CarPlay in a window but Apple wants your map data desperately, so Elon would have to give up navigation, which the car is kind of built around.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
I believe the issue with CarPlay is that your customers become Apple's customers - and Elon is not willing to give them that kind of control. Perhaps there is behind the scenes talk to put CarPlay in a window but Apple wants your map data desperately, so Elon would have to give up navigation, which the car is kind of built around.
But your customers are already Apple customers since they already own iPhones and use the Tesla iPhone app.

CarPlay in its current guise is literally screen mirroring and nothing more, Apple don’t want anything from Tesla.

The Tesla maps are crap anyway except for the 1/2 times a year you do a long journey where you need to plan supercharger stops.

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna and Ramphex
The car manufacturers were caught on the hop by Apple...they had no idea just how ambitious Apple are...only a software guy like Elon could see the writing on the wall

Reactions: Yelobird and mspohr
This is a quandary CarPlay-supporting manufacturers are going to run into I think. The car needs to know the destination for certain features to work optimally but drivers would like to use CarPlay nav software. Maybe in the future we'll see a car API that lets the software provide the destination to the car.

CarPlay in its current guise is literally screen mirroring and nothing more, Apple don’t want anything from Tesla.
Currently, agreed, but CarPlay 2 shows Apple's ambitions go much further. It looks like nothing less than a MCU replacement to me, for manufacturers who can't or don't want to create their own Tesla-level UI.

Apple is a hardware company and they have a whole car team beyond the CarPlay stuff. I know many of the guys there; they're ex-QNX.

CarPlay phase 1 is getting the drivers wanting iPhone integration and phase 2 is selling the MCU. If Elon saw that coming it's no wonder he won't go near it.

Reactions: mspohr and Bouba
Currently, agreed, but CarPlay 2 shows Apple's ambitions go much further. It looks like nothing less than a MCU replacement to me, for manufacturers who can't or don't want to create their own Tesla-level UI.

Apple is a hardware company and they have a whole car team beyond the CarPlay stuff. I know many of the guys there; they're ex-QNX.

CarPlay phase 1 is getting the drivers wanting iPhone integration and phase 2 is selling the MCU. If Elon saw that coming it's no wonder he won't go near it.
No one is talking about phase 2 CarPlay, there’s literally no car out there today that will support phase 2 CarPlay.

Everything people are talking about is a figment of their imagination, there’s no conspiracy to take over the automotive world, it’s literally just phone screen mirroring.

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna and Ramphex
No one is talking about phase 2 CarPlay, there’s literally no car out there today that will support phase 2 CarPlay.

Everything people are talking about is a figment of their imagination, there’s no conspiracy to take over the automotive world, it’s literally just phone screen mirroring.
Without scanning back this entire thread....someone posted something like 90% of American drivers want CarPlay in any new car...Apple have already hooked them..

Apple does have a plan to take over car info systems from incompetent OEMs
It's called Carplay 2

Reactions: Yelobird
And I mean really, if you’re a car manufacturer and you suck at software… let someone who is good with software, create the software.

Just because your friend is a roofer, doesn’t mean he’s going to come to your house and do a great job at painting your interior. Hire a painter.

And I mean really, if you’re a car manufacturer and you suck at software… let someone who is good with software, create the software.

Just because your friend is a roofer, doesn’t mean he’s going to come to your house and do a great job at painting your interior. Hire a painter.
A Bit over the top in my opinion. Tesla software has been better and more complete then Any other car I have owned. To say it sucks is a Way over statement. I’m fine with adding Apple Music link but Hell no do I ever want my car to be a giant iPad with my car controlled by Apple. Love their products but Not needed in my car personally. And by cell phone sales I think Most would prefer not to have Apple take over your car.

A Bit over the top in my opinion. Tesla software has been better and more complete then Any other car I have owned. To say it sucks is a Way over statement. I’m fine with adding Apple Music link but Hell no do I ever want my car to be a giant iPad with my car controlled by Apple. Love their products but Not needed in my car personally. And by cell phone sales I think Most would prefer not to have Apple take over your car.
I wasn’t referring to Tesla. I was referring to other “OEMs” as mentioned in the previous posts.

Have you ever used BMW’s UI? 😅😅

Sorry must have missed that as we are on a Tesla Forum discussing Apple integration. Must have missed the BMW thread. Yes used a BMW, ok but Far from better and never seen any update improvement.
I think it was just a general discussion about CarPlay, car manufacturers, and “apple taking over your car.” Sorry not every thread is shilling Tesla.

I am also not sure about that analogy…if the traditional car builders don’t appreciate the power and potential of software. then they will find that they have suddenly become the junior partner.
A better analogy (and a true story) a person I knew rented his house to a lawyer while he was working overseas…when he tried to evict him, the lawyer sued…and now he owns my friend’s house

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr