Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Apple CarPlay update vs Tesla UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also not sure about that analogy…if the traditional car builders don’t appreciate the power and potential of software. then they will find that they have suddenly become the junior partner.
A better analogy (and a true story) a person I knew rented his house to a lawyer while he was working overseas…when he tried to evict him, the lawyer sued…and now he owns my friend’s house
That’s a little different. Imagine all PC builders had to create their own software and not rely on a company like… Microsoft… Debian… Red Hat… to provide a functional OS for the hardware.

No one is talking about phase 2 CarPlay, there’s literally no car out there today that will support phase 2 CarPlay.

Everything people are talking about is a figment of their imagination, there’s no conspiracy to take over the automotive world, it’s literally just phone screen mirroring.
I'm talking about it :) Of course no car today supports an Apple MCU because they don't offer one yet.

Today it's screen mirroring but did you see the interface they showed in the keynote? That's some pretty serious mirroring. I have a hard time believing manufacturers will write UIs for all those screens (since phones are optional) only to have it never be seen by anyone with a phone.

It makes a lot more sense to me that Apple wants to basically build a phone into the car instead.

“It’s a really difficult time in the industry, where the car companies think they’re still building cars. They’re not. They’re building software on wheels, and they don’t know it, and they’re trading it away.”

From the linked article, I find Apple's claimed 79% number curious, given that iOS only has ~50% market penetration. That means 20% of car buyers want a feature they can't use.

I rent at least one vehicle per week due to frequent business travel. As a result I've driven an enormous variety of cars and used almost every major manufacturer's interface. So it is with some authority that I can say nearly all, if not every one of them is hot garbage. I don't find Car Play to be particularly compelling but if the alternative is to use a system designed by raving sadists then yeah, it's a must have feature.

Even with its opportunities for improvement, I find Tesla's UI to typically be best in class (not a high bar, I will admit), and for me it's preferable to Car Play for general use in a Tesla vehicle, even if I might wish for additional specific apps or functionality.

From the linked article, I find Apple's claimed 79% number curious, given that iOS only has ~50% market penetration. That means 20% of car buyers want a feature they can't use.

I rent at least one vehicle per week due to frequent business travel. As a result I've driven an enormous variety of cars and used almost every major manufacturer's interface. So it is with some authority that I can say nearly all, if not every one of them is hot garbage. I don't find Car Play to be particularly compelling but if the alternative is to use a system designed by raving sadists then yeah, it's a must have feature.

Even with its opportunities for improvement, I find Tesla's UI to typically be best in class (not a high bar, I will admit), and for me it's preferable to Car Play for general use in a Tesla vehicle, even if I might wish for additional specific apps or functionality.
Agreed. I’m just hoping the competition will motivate Tesla to spend a bit more time on the UI than they do now.

I rent at least one vehicle per week due to frequent business travel. As a result I've driven an enormous variety of cars and used almost every major manufacturer's interface. So it is with some authority that I can say nearly all, if not every one of them is hot garbage.
Just curious, have you tried the Ioniq 5 or EV6 interfaces? They look nice in pictures but I haven't heard too much about them in terms of usability.

Just curious, have you tried the Ioniq 5 or EV6 interfaces? They look nice in pictures but I haven't heard too much about them in terms of usability.

I haven’t actually, only the previous Hyundai system which wasn’t anything special and was beset by the typical lack of responsiveness, festooning with icons and scrolling menus, and a front end that was designed by someone that hasn’t used a computer since 2000. But hey, at least it isn’t the parade of trash Cadillac systems which I swear are just Winamp skins from 1998. Special shout out to Cadillac CUE that was so extra terrible that owners started a class action lawsuit.

• Funny
Reactions: Graham J and Durzel
I haven’t actually, only the previous Hyundai system which wasn’t anything special and was beset by the typical lack of responsiveness, festooning with icons and scrolling menus, and a front end that was designed by someone that hasn’t used a computer since 2000. But hey, at least it isn’t the parade of trash Cadillac systems which I swear are just Winamp skins from 1998. Special shout out to Cadillac CUE that was so extra terrible that owners started a class action lawsuit.
I had a Fiat 500 with Microsoft info system. The clock couldn't even keep time

ha, yeah I did hear even the new ones aren't as responsive as they should be, but that otherwise they were pretty usable. I still have a 2014 Kia Cadenza, top of the line but still terrible!

I just had to chime in on this.
I'm talking about it :) Of course no car today supports an Apple MCU because they don't offer one yet.

Today it's screen mirroring but did you see the interface they showed in the keynote? That's some pretty serious mirroring. I have a hard time believing manufacturers will write UIs for all those screens (since phones are optional) only to have it never be seen by anyone with a phone.

It makes a lot more sense to me that Apple wants to basically build a phone into the car instead.

No one is talking about phase 2 CarPlay, there’s literally no car out there today that will support phase 2 CarPlay.

Everything people are talking about is a figment of their imagination, there’s no conspiracy to take over the automotive world, it’s literally just phone screen mirroring.
No, CarPlay is NOT screen mirroring. Have you guys actually used it? I've been using it in cars daily since end of Jan 2019 besides using it in some rentals and test drives.

I've had to correct people numerous times here over the years, such as at Apple CarPlay. Some vehicles (e.g. my former '19 Bolt) refer to Android Auto and CarPlay as projection. That's probably the best term for what CarPlay is doing. At minimum, you have the phone's screen + something else projected onto one or more of the car's LCDs.

See https://developer.apple.com/carplay/documentation/CarPlay-App-Programming-Guide.pdf. Look at pages 3 and 11 for the types of apps allowed. Page 17 describes the templates. If you just page thru the rest, you can see various templates and UI elements look like. You see stuff exactly like this on your iPhone?

I'll put up a video sometime I took of it in action which I guess I never uploaded anywhere further demonstrating that it is NOT mirroring.

BTW, I don't have a car that supports the below (phone screen + projecting onto two different car LCDs):

Last edited:
OK, so when you enter a route on Waze via your phone, what does Waze on the in car display show?

How about when you're playing something on Spotify or Apple Music on your phone, what does the media player on the in car display show?

I'll give you a hint, it's the exact same thing the phone is showing - i.e. it's screen mirroring. The fact it lets you open up different apps doesn't take away from the fact it's still screen mirroring.

Next you'll be arguing that because the car display shows everything in landscape and your phone is in portrait it's definitive proof it's not screen mirroring 😂

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
OK, so when you enter a route on Waze via your phone, what does Waze on the in car display show?
If you have Waze up on the car's display, it shows Waze's map and the most immediate next turn, ETA, etc. See the 2nd screenshot at Apple CarPlay. On the phone, if Waze is up, it'll show more directions + other UI.

Long ago, Apple unlinked what was shown on each screen (previously, they were coupled). For years, you can have Apple Maps up on the car LCD while Waze is giving you directions. You could have the full screen audio player controls up on the LCD or something else.
How about when you're playing something on Spotify or Apple Music on your phone, what does the media player on the in car display show?
It can show whatever you whatever CarPlay app can render on the car's LCD.
I'll give you a hint, it's the exact same thing the phone is showing - i.e. it's screen mirroring. The fact it lets you open up different apps doesn't take away from the fact it's still screen mirroring.
It isn't showing the same thing as what the phone's showing at all. They don't even need to be the same app. The orientation is different. The content on each is different. What's allowed on the car's LCD are large controls and a very limited set. Numerous things aren't allowed (see pages 5 to 9 of https://developer.apple.com/carplay/documentation/CarPlay-App-Programming-Guide.pdf).

If you bring up the Messages app on CarPlay, you can't physically read it on the car's screen. It's totally different from Messages app your phone. It can dictate it to you and has very simplified UI on the car side.

Almost ALL iPhone apps do NOT support CarPlay.

Other than CarPlay apps from automakers, the only allowed app types for CarPlay are on pages 3 and 11. For instance, there's no YouTube or any video playback at all on the car's LCD. It's not allowed. If it were technically possible, Apple would reject the app or remove it if somehow a dev snuck it in.

In the 2nd video, at the beginning, I was using the NPR app (not NPR One). It doesn't support CarPlay at all. There is no CarPlay UI other than the generic media controls which aren't NPR specific.
Next you'll be arguing that because the car display shows everything in landscape and your phone is in portrait it's definitive proof it's not screen mirroring 😂
LOL!

If you want to see screen mirroring, plug Lightning Digital AV Adapter - Lightning to HDMI into an iPhone then into an HDMI TV or monitor. I have several of these dongles for work (and it does relate to my work). So, I don't have to repeat the work that others have done, this is an example I quickly found. Go to 0:50:

Or. skip to 0:28 of
. There are exceptions to the by default mirroring w/this dongle. When playing videos, it could be mirrored or there could be a set of controls on the iDevice but the video playing on the TV or the developer can block it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GWord
I'll put up a video sometime I took of it in action which I guess I never uploaded anywhere further demonstrating that it is NOT mirroring.

BTW, I don't have a car that supports the below (phone screen + projecting onto two different car LCDs):
Skip to 2:12 of
. Unfortunately, this person has their phone put away in a bin. So you really think that the maps in car's gauge cluster + car's big LCD from 2:15 to 2:50 is the same as what's on the phone screen?

I put this up awhile ago again to further show CarPlay is NOT screen mirroring.
The reason why I mention SpringBoard is due to SpringBoard - Wikipedia.

Also, if you want to see screen mirroring, you can do it to Apple TV boxes or devices that support AirPlay 2.
Developers can block the behavior, like when trying to play videos.

You can also mirror the contents of an iPhone screen into a window on a Mac. See [2024] How to Mirror iPhone/iPad Screen to Mac Efficiently for how. We sometimes use this at my work.

Lots of words used in those last three posts but you’re still wrong. Nice try though 😂
So, technically CarPlay is NOT screen mirroring. If it was, you would get a display in the car very much like when AirPlay is used to (truly) mirror the screen to a TV. CarPlay allows apps to treat the in-car display as a DISTINCT display, which COULD just mirror the iPhone app but does NOT need to (and, in fact, rarely does). For example, when using Apple Maps, the CarPlay display shows the map and next turn (along with some UI buttons), while the iPhone display shows the route list. This is NOT mirroring in any normal use of the word. In particular, it allows (in fact requires) app developers to tune their app UI and display to better suit the car display interface (e.g. bigger and fewer buttons, larger fonts etc).

Reactions: cwerdna and jbarnum