Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Apple CarPlay update vs Tesla UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Multi-Display-CarPlay-1.jpeg

I really would love to have this. And Apple CarKey to avoid carrying a separate key with me. Unfortunately I cannot wait to 2024. Thus my next car will probably just have a regular old-fashioned wireless CarPlay.

With the most car-buyers having Apple CarPlay / Android Auto as one of the key criteria for choosing a car, it will be interesting how long Tesla (and Rivian) can hold the fort. With the next gen CarPlay taking over instruments, urge to integrate with iOS/Android will just increase.

The foundational phenomenon here is that people typically upgrade their mobile phone every couple of years, getting a new CPU/GPU and the latest OS design paired with it. Any car not projecting UI from the mobile will end up looking outdated in 3-4 years from the purchase. (Speaking from experience with MCU1 crippled Model S here). Furthermore, car manufacturer specific app stores have little chance of competing with Android and iOS for the developer time: thus no apps without Android Auto / Apple CarPlay.

Last edited:
Sure, looks great. And it will be until the first UI 'refresh' ruins it or takes away something about it you loved. I don't really trust any company to both A) get it right, and B) not screw it up with updates later. More and more I don't want any company to be able to mess with what I own after I buy it...

Reactions: TunaBug
I may be the only one but I prefer Tesla UI over carplay. I think this would greatly benefit cars like polestar as they are running on something like a version of android os. Tesla has its own os and I don’t think it outdated. I think the Tesla os has a simple look and shows you what’s needed. Maybe they can pull some apple Os developers and have them improve the Tesla Os in some ways but I like it.

That’s my two cents

The CarPlay update looks great and should allow tighter integration with the Tesla UI.

I started a topic about how Tesla should do this on the TeslaLounge subreddit but it was removed for not being related to Tesla (?)

I saw that post and my thought was that those 79% are not Tesla owners.
I believe Apple CarPlay is a workaround for oem to provide a decent UI experience in their cars as they don’t focus on that (UI) and prefer to delegate to Apple or Google.
I saw it for myself and read regular complains about CarPlay that I just don’t have with the Tesla interface.

Tesla has focused since day one and is still aiming at a great UI experience.
But it is a work in progress.

The key point about CarPlay dashboard is... it's customizable. Right now we can't customize anything on our S/X dashboards.
Correct me if I’m wrong but you have a new S or X.
Legacy S and C have plenty of customization on the IC (dashboard).
Like I wrote, it’s a work in progress and I hope for you it is ported to your cars sooner than later.

I saw that post and my thought was that those 79% are not Tesla owners.
I believe Apple CarPlay is a workaround for oem to provide a decent UI experience in their cars as they don’t focus on that (UI) and prefer to delegate to Apple or Google.
I saw it for myself and read regular complains about CarPlay that I just don’t have with the Tesla interface.

Tesla has focused since day one and is still aiming at a great UI experience.
But it is a work in progress.
It may be true that the sampled people are not Tesla owners but 79% of users that have CarPlay saying it's must-have is still a pretty big endorsement. There must be some portion of the perceived benefits that would apply to Teslas.

I agree in many cars CarPlay is making up for an otherwise crappy experience but I think it's a mistake to write it off for Teslas just because they already have a good UX.

The reason it would be beneficial is to make up for Tesla shortcomings, but not in UX. It's in functionality. CarPlay has dozens of apps and they're updated all the time.

There is simply no way Teslas will ever have the breadth of app and developer support that Apple and Google have. IMO it only makes sense to allow phones access to our huge screens. I'm certain it can be done in a way that doesn't take over or take away from Tesla's great and unique UX.

Last edited: