Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Apple CarPlay update vs Tesla UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must be an outsider. I personally don’t want to be Obligated to buy and carry an iPhone to drive my car. Add to that while many don’t like it I prefer less touching and playing with the screen let alone adding a crap ton of useless spam apps to my car. Tesla provided all the content I could ever need in a rather nice format. I can stare at my toy app screen on iPad, iPhone, and PC later. In the car I want to disconnect from that mess. But that’s me.

I must be an outsider. I personally don’t want to be Obligated to buy and carry an iPhone to drive my car. Add to that while many don’t like it I prefer less touching and playing with the screen let alone adding a crap ton of useless spam apps to my car. Tesla provided all the content I could ever need in a rather nice format. I can stare at my toy app screen on iPad, iPhone, and PC later. In the car I want to disconnect from that mess. But that’s me.

I imagine it will run like Android OS on Volvos. You don't need to own the device, since it's on the vehicle.

Reactions: Ramphex
79 % for CarPlay. somebody tell android
When Apple can integrate to an Tesla FSD API, maybe. But not in 2023-2024
I also find it hard to believe that every automakers dash/UI will look and feel like an iPhone.
‘If that ever happens I will look to run something with Historic Plates

Reactions: Yelobird
same here, just good music (Tesla just let me use my Apple Music account) and I'm happy. Though I can see myself at a Supercharger loosing track of time watching Rick and Morty and letting myself charge into the 90's :)

Last edited:
The CarPlay update looks great and should allow tighter integration with the Tesla UI.

I started a topic about how Tesla should do this on the TeslaLounge subreddit but it was removed for not being related to Tesla (?)

79% say that Apple Car Play is a must? So (with some assumptions) there are more than 79% Tesla owners who also own an iphone? Doesnt sound right.

That reddit thread is all over the place. The title states that 79% of car owners want carplay (which probably came from a carplay/iPhone poll), then that gets posted in a Tesla section, and a good portion of the comments rip carplay and most seem to really only want Apple music. Well, here's another vote for Apple music lol!

Reactions: markc2
79% say that Apple Car Play is a must? So (with some assumptions) there are more than 79% Tesla owners who also own an iphone? Doesnt sound right.
The 79% number is from the Apple keynote where they said "car buyers" - Tesla was never mentioned. Still sounds high but there it is.

That reddit thread is all over the place. The title states that 79% of car owners want carplay (which probably came from a carplay/iPhone poll), then that gets posted in a Tesla section, and a good portion of the comments rip carplay and most seem to really only want Apple music. Well, here's another vote for Apple music lol!
The idea is lots of "car buyers" want CarPlay yet Tesla doesn't have it so c'mon Tesla, let's have it :)

But it's true plenty of current Tesla owners claim they don't want it, but then often also say "it would be nice if we had X" where they would have X if they had CarPlay (like Apple Music, Waze etc.)

Of course a lot of people have Androids so some disdain from that group, but the same applies to AA.

Reactions: byeLT4
Sure, looks great. And it will be until the first UI 'refresh' ruins it or takes away something about it you loved. I don't really trust any company to both A) get it right, and B) not screw it up with updates later. More and more I don't want any company to be able to mess with what I own after I buy it...
Indeed. For every complaint about Tesla UI design I could throw out a whole bunch about iOS/iPadOS, which is FAR from a a clean, intuitive, interface. Apple have drifted very far away from their "who needs to read the docs" design model of a few years ago. Inconsisent UI? Check. Cluttered design? Check? Secret buttons and gestures? Check, check, check.

What you're all watching in real time is straight out of Apple's play book. Go back and see what Apple did with the Motorola ROKR, when Apple overlayed some basic music functionality on Motorola's phone and learned a lot of what it needed to know to create the iPhone.

In this case, Apple has been experimenting with CarPlay, iteratively refining the product but gathering data on making a more central product. For the preview, this is what Apple will offer car manufacturers, most of which will be unable to match the capabilities. Like AT&T, one or more manufacturers will be willing to give CarPlay a privileged position (my bet is on Hyundai/Kia/Genesis) to differentiate their (increasingly) otherwise undistinguished EVs. This will be Apple Car 0.5.

Apple won't need to make its own car at first, but if the partnership with a privileged manufacturer works out, the next step will be fairly obvious: an EV that that manufacturer tailors to Apple's designs, with CarPlay features that others can't have. If Apple makes this preview version of CarPlay available at the end of 2023, look for the AppleCar to be announced at the end of 2024.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Would be awesome, but Elon will never allow it. I think the best we can hope for is a Tesla App Store that will allow us to add Apple Music, Waze, XM/Sirius, etc.
I agree. An App Store would be great, but I can’t see Tesla adding Car Play or Android Auto; they’ve taken a different design direction. I’d love access to apps, but no interest in trying to hack Car Play using Rasberry Pi’s (if you could even get them).

Part of the point is less fiddling around.

Most folks want:

Their favorite music service they have on their phone. With a single source of playlists. And single source they pay for service.
Podcasts (using their favorite app that keeps track of where they are) so they can move seamlessly between car and phone.
Many want Waze
Some want Google Maps for better alternate routes (although I find alternate routes on Google/CarPlay clumsy)

For the record. I loved CarPlay in my 2017 Jeep. CarPlay in my 2019 Volt is a joke.

CarPlay limits the type of apps. Navigation, Music, Podcasts. Maybe a couple more.

You have no idea what your commenting about with your spam apps comment. Also CarPlay is pretty strict around distracted driving. What user interfaces must look like and do, to be allowed.

The idea is lots of "car buyers" want CarPlay yet Tesla doesn't have it so c'mon Tesla, let's have it :)

But it's true plenty of current Tesla owners claim they don't want it, but then often also say "it would be nice if we had X" where they would have X if they had CarPlay (like Apple Music, Waze etc.)

Of course a lot of people have Androids so some disdain from that group, but the same applies to AA.
Would much rather have headsup display or 360 view. Atleast that is something that everyone can use.
Plus ApplePlay? Unlikely its gonna happen. Tesla has much more control over their own software and its integration with their own custom hardware.

But everything isnt lost here. People without the actual knowledge of coding and hardware dont understand these things properly. The best way Tesla can do this is, by adding more apps inside its own UI. Things like waze etc, maybe HBO Max in entertainment.

What you're all watching in real time is straight out of Apple's play book.
Great post. It's interesting to think about the dynamics of manufacturer-Apple partnerships. On the one hand relinquishing control of the UX to Apple makes things easier and naturally draws in Apple's massive customer base, but on the other alienates Android users and hands any future secondary revenue sources like app and subscription sales to Apple.

Manufacturers' software is getting better and in some cases (read: Tesla) is not far off Apple UX quality already. I can imagine a manufacturer becoming a contract manufacturer for an Apple Car but it's harder to see them throwing away all their software work and going whole-hog Apple with their own brands.

I expect them to continue improving their own software, providing OTA updates, and allowing both Apple and Google to integrate. And then there may come a point where they set their sights on app revenue and things will get interesting. If manufacturers have to compete with an Apple Car they may be less interested in supporting CarPlay.

I guess the nice part of CarPlay, is integrations. Currently Tesla has a closed source proprietary OS with proprietary apps which limit your customizations in every way possible. Aside from changing the car color LOL.

Tesla needs to step up their game in the UI department. I still don’t have an Energy app in my 2021 Model S. I also don’t have Careoke, which I could care less about anyway.

I guess the nice part of CarPlay, is integrations. Currently Tesla has a closed source proprietary OS with proprietary apps which limit your customizations in every way possible. Aside from changing the car color LOL.

Tesla needs to step up their game in the UI department. I still don’t have an Energy app in my 2021 Model S. I also don’t have Careoke, which I could care less about anyway.
Yeah and Apple is known for its wide open OS platform. Lol

Reactions: DblOSmith
Interesting Bloomberg article from this morning about how the CarPlay updates indicate an Apple Car in the workds, which they specifically call a "Tesla rival"

Reactions: Ramphex
Yeah and Apple is known for its wide open OS platform. Lol
Open for development? 100% Their SDK is super powerful and allows developers to take advantage of a ton of OS related features. AppStore is massive. So is PlayStore on Android but that’s not very relevant considering it’s a CarPlay vs Tesla UI thread.
Actually you do.
Where is it?

5464449D-2C80-47E4-90AD-96FFBC548F79.jpeg

Maybe I’m blind, point me in the right direction.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX