Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Austin Model Y vs 2021 Fremont Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on battery day, I don’t think cars with 4680 cells in 2022 will have all the chemistry changes outlined, just form factor, tabbles connections, and maybe DBE. Also doesn’t mean they will have 400 mile range, they could just reduce the number of cells. I’m just waiting for the 82kWh cells like new M3.
All MY being delivered since early summer 2021 have 82KWh battery packs. Software hasn't fully enabled them all for range, just as spares.
MY v2.0 (with 4680) will likely have the same 82KWh rating, just fewer # of batteries.
400 mile range is not necessary since no competition is in sight and 4680 batteries are still precious.
There has never been any indication that Tesla is updating the MY suspension, but the rear megacast does have a recess, speculated as for an air tank.

The California paint shop can never be as good as the one in Texas. So while build quality may be on par, paint never will.

That makes a “made in Austin” model the clear winner for me.
you'd best live in the Midwest or Eastern US if you want an Austin build.
Otherwise you're getting Fremont.
Both will use the same paint chemistry (non-VOC), which is most of the problem.
The Austin paint shop will just be better optimized. The Fremont plant could only go so far, given CA environmental rules.
German industry doesn't have the same VOC standards that the US imposes, so Elon's claim of world's best paint shop might be true for Giga Berlin.
Both Fremont and Austin will be building 4680 vehicles when the batteries finally make manufacturing yield goals.
The current speculation is Q2 2022 for that in volume. Until then, a trickle.

you'd best live in the Midwest or Eastern US if you want an Austin build.
Otherwise you're getting Fremont.
Both will use the same paint chemistry (non-VOC), which is most of the problem.
The Austin paint shop will just be better optimized. The Fremont plant could only go so far, given CA environmental rules.
German industry doesn't have the same VOC standards that the US imposes, so Elon's claim of world's best paint shop might be true for Giga Berlin.
Both Fremont and Austin will be building 4680 vehicles when the batteries finally make manufacturing yield goals.
The current speculation is Q2 2022 for that in volume. Until then, a trickle.
I do live on the east coast.

Why would Tesla be following the same painting regs in Texas? Unless they purposefully want the crappy paint to be uniform across the line.

Why would Tesla be following the same painting regs in Texas? Unless they purposefully want the crappy paint to be uniform across the line.
Why wouldn't a green energy vehicle also use paint products that are more environmentally friendly? The volatile organic chemicals in paint is not super great for our health or the environment, I'd also wager low VOC paint will be mandated nationally at some point.

Reactions: newtman
Why wouldn't a green energy vehicle also use paint products that are more environmentally friendly? The volatile organic chemicals in paint is not super great for our health or the environment, I'd also wager low VOC paint will be mandated nationally at some point.
Because they don’t use those paint products in China or Germany. They are also heavily invested in Bitcoin. They also mine heavy metals for their batteries. The list goes on.

It’s cute you think Tesla is a green company and not a publicly traded, for profit company.

Because they don’t use those paint products in China or Germany. They are also heavily invested in Bitcoin. They also mine heavy metals for their batteries. The list goes on.

It’s cute you think Tesla is a green company and not a publicly traded, for profit company.
Well they haven't produced a vehicle in Germany yet, are you certain the paint is different? China as well? You've personally confirmed this or have a public source somewhere for us undercaffeinated TMCers to read?

Automobile paint across the board is less durable and softer, including vehicles made outside California and the US. Low/no VOC paint is where the industry is heading, so you can tilt at windmills all day, but it's not going to bring us back to the 1950's.

Well they haven't produced a vehicle in Germany yet, are you certain the paint is different? China as well? You've personally confirmed this or have a public source somewhere for us undercaffeinated TMCers to read?

Automobile paint across the board is less durable and softer, including vehicles made outside California and the US. Low/no VOC paint is where the industry is heading, so you can tilt at windmills all day, but it's not going to bring us back to the 1950's.
Yes. They do not use low VOC paint in China. Feel free to YouTube a comparison vid.

The paint on all German vehicles is exceptional. They are not using “green” paint at that factory.

The only place they will use soft paint is where they are mandated by law. And right now, that only place is CA. Not Texas, not China, not Germany.

• Informative
Reactions: Corndart
Yes. They do not use low VOC paint in China. Feel free to YouTube a comparison vid.

The paint on all German vehicles is exceptional. They are not using “green” paint at that factory.

The only place they will use soft paint is where they are mandated by law. And right now, that only place is CA. Not Texas, not China, not Germany.

Because it's an industry / national mandate to remove VOC from the paint formulas. Call it water-based for a simplistic description.
Paint shop machinery, robots, air circulation/venting, and curing systems will be better at the Giga Texas factory.
Fremont has a comparative legacy issue - it's plant infrastructure couldn't adapt as well.
VOC = volatile organic compounds.

Reactions: Corndart
Because it's an industry / national mandate to remove VOC from the paint formulas. Call it water-based for a simplistic description.
Paint shop machinery, robots, air circulation/venting, and curing systems will be better at the Giga Texas factory.
Fremont has a comparative legacy issue - it's plant infrastructure couldn't adapt as well.
VOC = volatile organic compounds.
Then why is it every other manufacturer located in the US (California excluded, but that goes without saying), can paint a vehicle properly but Tesla cannot?

It’s not that they don’t have the proper equipment. They are using sub-standard paint due to California regulations.

Not sure why you are arguing this fact.

Then why is it every other manufacturer located in the US (California excluded, but that goes without saying), can paint a vehicle properly but Tesla cannot?

It’s not that they don’t have the proper equipment. They are using sub-standard paint due to California regulations.

Not sure why you are arguing this fact.
I can't keep up with the ping pong ball in your head. First its Germany now all US based manufacturers NOT in California are painting better?

Application using equipment in Fremont originally used in the NUMA facility that wasn't designed from the ground up for applying lower VOC paints, along with poor curing practices (presumably to meet production quotas) fits the Occams razor test. This doesn't absolve, dismiss, or invalidate the plethora of reports from Tesla owners regarding shoddy paint work. But a cursory google search doesn't support your claims. And the paint industry is going to have to adapt to environmental regulations and controls designed to lower harmful chemicals that older paint techniques, which although technically superior, should be ceased. It's a car. not an object d art.

Electrocoat is a preferred coating type in North America:

Automotive paints & coatings market in North America is projected to exceed a valuation of $3.1 billion by 2026. There are various types of coatings such as basecoat, primer, electrocoat, and clearcoat that are used for passenger vehicles. Electrocoat secured over 55% share of the market in 2019. The main reason cited is the various beneficial features this type of coating offers to vehicles. Some of these characteristics are high corrosion resistance, low curing temperature, and greater throw power, which is the ability of a coating of uniform thickness to evenly spread over an uneven surface.

In addition to the above-mentioned factors, electrocoat does not contain HAPs (Hazardous Air Pollutants) and has low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds); VOCs emit harmful gases in the environment which can add to pollution problems.

That’s right. There is no ping ponging.

This is strictly a California issue. Again, why are you trying to dispute a well known fact?
Not really a CA-only issue.
It's a Tesla-specific issue, related to their factory legacy limitations AND CA and US Regulatory requirements, plus Tesla manufacturing practices.
Other manufacturers have largely overcome (but not eliminated) these paint issues. Tesla lags in Fremont.
That's all it's about.

Back to your basis. Your specific desire for an Austin-built MY might be met. It might NOT.
That depends on Tesla alone, and none of us know what will actually happen.
I'm pretty sure Tesla doesn't know either. They're dealing with many variables.
THAT might be the reality all must deal with.

Elon will be in Berlin next week, likely to announce the new "Model Y 2.0" and hopefully opening of Tesla factory Berlin.
And structural battery pack is now mentioned in the current Tesla Model Y online manual. What other changes will we see before Austin Ys are shipping, maybe around March?