Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Austin Model Y vs 2021 Fremont Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What will be the differences between next year's LR Model Y (Austin) and the current Y(Fremont)?
Here are my guesses:

March 2022 Austin Model Y LR will have:
1) 400 Mile range due to new 4680 battery cells. Tesla, Panasonic, and LG are all making these in 2022, battery pack will last a million miles.
2) Stiffer more rigid body, due to body castings in both front and rear, like the Berlin Model Y.
3) Lighter weight by several hundred pounds, due to the 4680 battery pack replacing part of the metal structure
4) More comfortable suspension and faster acceleration and longer range, due to lighter weight.
5) High-end gaming from AMD GPU chip, same chip as Model S/X is getting now.

Really wishing for air suspension option, and cabin sound dampening too.

My reasoning on new battery and structure:
1) Tesla is already building the Model Y factory in Berlin, and Elon confirmed the Y is getting 4680 structural battery pack and front/rear castings.
2) Model Y Austin factory is the *first* factory built in Austin (before Cybertruck) and it will obviously get the same machinery that Berlin is now testing.

What will be the differences between next year's LR Model Y (Austin) and the current Y(Fremont)?
Here are my guesses:

1) 400 Mile range due to new 4680 battery cells. Tesla, Panasonic, and LG are all making these in 2022, battery pack will last a million miles.
2) Stiffer more rigid body, due to body castings in both front and rear, like the Berlin Model Y.
3) Lighter weight by several hundred pounds, due to the 4680 battery pack replacing part of the metal structure
4) More comfortable suspension and faster acceleration and longer range, due to lighter weight.

1) Tesla is already building the Model Y factory in Berlin, and Elon confirmed the Y is getting 4680 structural battery pack and front/rear castings.
2) Model Y Austin factory is the *first* factory built in Austin (before Cybertruck) and it will obviously get the same machinery that Berlin is now testing.
Yeah, I think I'm going to wait for an Texas Model Y or Cyber Truck.

Based on battery day, I don’t think cars with 4680 cells in 2022 will have all the chemistry changes outlined, just form factor, tabbles connections, and maybe DBE. Also doesn’t mean they will have 400 mile range, they could just reduce the number of cells. I’m just waiting for the 82kWh cells like new M3.

Reactions: empiredown
You can always count on next years Tesla to be more advanced than this year.

Most of these changes will be to simplify, speed up and reduce costs of manufacturing.

Not sure how much difference it will make in the day to day driving experience of owners.

Initially the new processes most likely will cause more quality issues, as they introduce the new methods and ramp up production volumes.

Based on battery day, I don’t think cars with 4680 cells in 2022 will have all the chemistry changes outlined, just form factor, tabbles connections, and maybe DBE.

Pretty much this.

When Tesla start rolling out the 4680 cells in their cars, it's first going into the tri-motor cars (Model S Plaid+, Cybertruck Tri-Motor, Roadster), and expect those to maybe start rolling out at the end of this year or certainly in early 2022. Even the Model S Plaid and the Cybertruck Dual-Motor specs are about the same with range & power, so it's safe to say Tesla may continue to use the current battery technology in those cars... at least until they have an ample supply of 4680 cells available to put in other cars.

That said, it's highly doubtful Tesla would use the 4680 cells in the Model 3 or Model Y anytime soon, as those cells would first be used in the highest end models that make the most money for Tesla. But that's not say it'll be that way, as you never know what Elon/Tesla has in mind for the next year with their builds and debuts.

Pretty much this.
It's highly doubtful Tesla would use the 4680 cells in the Model 3 or Model Y anytime soon
Elon has confirmed that the Berlin factory's machinery is being designed to create the structural battery pack, and their first car is Model Y. Are you saying that the Berlin team will engineer a structural battery pack for Model Y using the skinny 2170 cells instead of the new 4680 cells that are produced by Tesla Fremont now, and soon LG and Panasonic? That would be quite surprising to put engineering effort to build older tech 2170 cells into the Model Y body structure.

Reactions: dfwatt
Elon has confirmed that the Berlin factory's machinery is being designed to create the structural battery pack, and their first car is Model Y. Are you saying that the Berlin team will engineer a structural battery pack for Model Y using the skinny 2170 cells instead of the new 4680 cells that are produced by Tesla Fremont now, and soon LG and Panasonic? That would be quite surprising to put engineering effort to build older tech 2170 cells into the Model Y body structure.

The structural battery pack and the 4680 were unveiled at the same time, but that does not exclude the use of older cells in the new pack design.

Tesla literally can't make the batteries fast enough, so it stands to reason that the 2170's will continue to be made. Why not put them in a structural battery pack?

The structural battery pack and the 4680 were unveiled at the same time,
but that does not exclude the use of older cells in the new pack design.

Tesla literally can't make the batteries fast enough, so it stands to reason that the 2170's will continue to be made.
Why not put them in a structural battery pack?
From the 2020 Tesla Battery Day (video at 1:10:00) Elon musk mentioned three categories of cathodes.

I wonder if the 4680 cells will only use the High Nickel cathode or if the 460 will use all the different cathode technology?

2020 05 Tesla Battery Day - Diversified Cathode .jpg

C'mon folks. Is an extra 25-50 miles in range really going to change your life that much? Tesla is not your traditional automaker where a model will have a typical 5-7 year life cycle. All Tesla vehicles will continue to evolve as they see fit during any given product life-cycle. No one knows what's going to be here in 2 years. Technology is ever changing and advancing. Like the previous poster said, buy one, enjoy it and when the new one comes out you can always trade yours in for that one. Life is short, live in the moment and be happy with what you have now! :)

Last edited:
Here are my guesses:

This post was so weird, it's like you are waiting and now want to spread or create or add fuel to rumors/speculation on something just to make yourself feel better about your Y purchase in the future and now are listing out all the features you wish it will have lmao with no info to back it up.

Important similarities between both models:

-They will both be considered awesome by those actually driving them, now and then.

-improvements will be “just around the corner” whenever either rolls out the factory

-someone will be missing out on the overall Tesla driving experience due to holding out for some imaginary “need” for an improvement.

- Tesla is gonna Tesla.

- someone will be speculating all the awesomeness that is just around the corner, any second now, for sure, founded on some tenuous speculative bullet list posted in this forum.

Here are my guesses:

A 400 mile range is a possibility, but it's also possible Tesla will choose to use fewer cells to accomplish a cost and price advantage rather than a big range increase. If they do that, they could add cells for more range and profit later if they have plenty of cells.

If you don’t need a vehicle now, definitely wait for the Austin built ones.Tesla is always improving its vehicles, but this is going to be a major leap forward. The battery and manufacturing improvements are going to result in vehicles that are lighter, faster, quicker charging, and have better range. I expect a decent price drop, better paint, more color options, new features, and better build quality, all least once they have the process down. There will also probably be a nice federal tax break waiting for you. I think this is a time where a little patience pays off in a big way.

To reply to all the questions on why I started this thread : It's because my Model 3 is awesome and the Model Y is even better, but the body structure and battery cells/pack are being redesigned in Berlin, so I'm curious what people are predicting about the characteristics of the new Y when it comes out in Berlin this year and Austin early next year. Ideally the LR version will have crazy high range, less bumpy suspension, an awesome gaming computer, and $7,000 federal tax credit :) Yes I understand all the replies that it might be basically the same car. That's a valid point of view, but so is mine!