Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Austin Model Y vs 2021 Fremont Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It won’t be basically the same car. It will be much better overall. Competition is really going to start pushing Tesla to improve. In particular, mainstream buyers aren’t going to put up with the quality issues that enthusiasts do, and Tesla knows that. With that being said, I wouldn’t expect the range to be dramatically better, just incrementally better. As the charging gets faster and the network better, it makes less sense to carry around heavy and expensive batteries.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
You can always count on next years Tesla to be more advanced than this year.

Most of these changes will be to simplify, speed up and reduce costs of manufacturing.

Not sure how much difference it will make in the day to day driving experience of owners.

Initially the new processes most likely will cause more quality issues, as they introduce the new methods and ramp up production volumes.

This guy Tesla's ;)

If those people who are waiting for a better car from a different factory get in a serious car accident while waiting, they will have wished they were in a Tesla. You can't put a price (new features) on the safest vehicles ever made.

I imagine the new Teslas will be even safer than the current ones. I actually think that’s another good reason to wait just a little bit for the new ones.

Reactions: hpartsch
I imagine the new Teslas will be even safer than the current ones. I actually think that’s another good reason to wait just a little bit for the new ones.
Do we really think we will be able to get the more advanced/features in newer models at the same price as the ones now? Not likely. If history is any indication, Tesla will continue to move the $$$ price tags higher and higher as there is demand that exceeds supply.

You can argue that there is some bonafide competition out there now that will keep Tesla's price point in check. In my opinion, Ford, Audi, Rivian, Lucid is years away from evening coming close to having the charging infrastructure that Tesla has which means Tesla still has the advantage, even as the competition grows. I am not saying Tesla won't lose marketshare (it's already happening) but I've come to "trust" the charging network when I am making a 300 mile round trip to go play golf in San Diego with my buddies. I wouldn't be so at ease with an e-tron or mach-e.

I fully expect Teslas to keep getting less expensive (or at least more feature laden for similar money) as batteries keep getting cheaper and manufacturing costs are driven down with better technology and more scale. Musk has consistently been pushing his vehicles into lower price points, and he has stated that he will continue to do so.

Reactions: CSFTN
What will be the differences between next year's LR Model Y (Austin) and the current Y(Fremont)?
Here are my guesses:

March 2022 Austin Model Y LR will have:
1) 400 Mile range due to new 4680 battery cells. Tesla, Panasonic, and LG are all making these in 2022, battery pack will last a million miles.
2) Stiffer more rigid body, due to body castings in both front and rear, like the Berlin Model Y.
3) Lighter weight by several hundred pounds, due to the 4680 battery pack replacing part of the metal structure
4) More comfortable suspension and faster acceleration and longer range, due to lighter weight.
5) High-end gaming from AMD GPU chip, same chip as Model S/X is getting now.

Really wishing for air suspension option, and cabin sound dampening too.

My reasoning on new battery and structure:
1) Tesla is already building the Model Y factory in Berlin, and Elon confirmed the Y is getting 4680 structural battery pack and front/rear castings.
2) Model Y Austin factory is the *first* factory built in Austin (before Cybertruck) and it will obviously get the same machinery that Berlin is now testing.
My guess is that the next generation MY/M3 made in the USA will get the new cells, not anything in the next few years. Once the semi and Cybertruck get there time in the sun only then do I suspect they will use the newer cells for the MY/M3. These cars are their “low end” models compared to their fleet and are selling just fine with the 18650 cells - for now.

There's already been talk about how the 4680 cells will go into other "more profitable" cars first (Model S/X Plaid + models, Cybertruck tri-motor, Roadster, Semi) before it eventually trickles down to the "cheaper" models like the Y and the 3.

I was in Austin this past weekend and drove by the new Giga-Texas site. Not much to see from the ground, but driving past it on the freeway you can tell it's pretty massive. It'll be interesting to see how far they get in the next 6 months, and if Tesla can start pumping out cars from there before the end of 2021. I know that Elon has said that Model Y's should start getting produced in Austin later this year.

Here's a few pics I took when driving by.

Giga-Texas-1.jpg

Giga-Texas-2.jpg

Giga-Texas-3.jpg

Giga-Texas-4.jpg

I swear I saw somewhere that the Model Y will be the first vehicle produced at Austin?! If they are going to be using the same engineering that Berlin is putting in for the structural battery pack then we might see the Austin Model Y (with structural battery pack...which cells tho?) beginning to ramp by the end of the year (ie. before Cybertruck)?

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
I've read the they have the 6,000 ton Giga Press in Austin and Berlin already, which is needed to produce the Y.
The 8,000 ton bigger Giga Press needed for the cyber truck has been ordered but the company still needs to produce it (their first at that size, I believe).
That leads me to believe that the Y will likely be the first car produced at Austin.

I'm skeptical of most of the rumors being circulated here, BUT if they do turn out to be true, then kiss that resale value goodbye on current Ys. It will be a tough pill to swallow for man.

The only thing assured from a 400+ range Model Y is hundreds of forum threads about getting *only* 300 miles of range from it.

Looking at history, Tesla’s not been the type to suddenly throw in a huge increase in range. I’d expect more of a slight increase in range, along with slight decreases in weight and price, and maybe ONE more color and fewer misaligned panels.