Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 BMW X5M Comp or MX Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was debating posting this on this forum, but am curious what people think. Currently have an MX Plaid on order but have been a Tesla owner for many years. I am considering an X5 M instead as I've never owned a BMW and the built quality IMHO is immensely better. It seems build quality on the recent MX Plaids has improved.

These are obviously very different cars, but has anyone gone from Tesla back to something like a BMW, specifically an ICE? I'm fully aware of the Plaid's insane acceleration, as I had an MS Plaid as well. With that said, the egregious depreciation on the BMW has me worried. Tesla has allowed me to swap vehicles quite frequently with minimal losses, even with the ongoing price increases. Thoughts?

I was debating posting this on this forum, but am curious what people think. Currently have an MX Plaid on order but have been a Tesla owner for many years. I am considering an X5 M instead as I've never owned a BMW and the built quality IMHO is immensely better. It seems build quality on the recent MX Plaids has improved.

These are obviously very different cars, but has anyone gone from Tesla back to something like a BMW, specifically an ICE? I'm fully aware of the Plaid's insane acceleration, as I had an MS Plaid as well. With that said, the egregious depreciation on the BMW has me worried. Tesla has allowed me to swap vehicles quite frequently with minimal losses, even with the ongoing price increases. Thoughts?
As an owner of an 22 X and a BMW X3M, I have to ask - do you like engine noise?

Honestly the build quality, dealer/service experience and just about everything else will be way better with BMW. You get a Tesla because it’s the best damned electric car you can buy. It’s faster, handles better (but different), and is much more unique.

Disclaimer - my wife drives the X3M and still won’t drive the Tesla.

As an owner of an 22 X and a BMW X3M, I have to ask - do you like engine noise?

Honestly the build quality, dealer/service experience and just about everything else will be way better with BMW. You get a Tesla because it’s the best damned electric car you can buy. It’s faster, handles better (but different), and is much more unique.

Disclaimer - my wife drives the X3M and still won’t drive the Tesla.
I do miss the noise! I've had several loud cars over the years. But agree - I have been strictly Tesla since 2018 and every one of them is incredibly fun to drive. Albeit very very quietly :)

As much as I am a BMW guy (e30 325i, e46 330i ZHP, e39 540i, e60 M5) - they are such different beasts, I think it comes down to, do you want an EV or not. I will say that for my daily driving, I won't go ICE anymore. But I won't rule out a fun ICE car on the side (maybe F80 M3). I also don't think BMW durability is anything to write home about. I have amassed a large amount of specialized BMW tools over the years because of various issues.

As much as I am a BMW guy (e30 325i, e46 330i ZHP, e39 540i, e60 M5) - they are such different beasts, I think it comes down to, do you want an EV or not. I will say that for my daily driving, I won't go ICE anymore. But I won't rule out a fun ICE car on the side (maybe F80 M3). I also don't think BMW durability is anything to write home about. I have amassed a large amount of specialized BMW tools over the years because of various issues.
I have a multiple sets of eTorx for this exact reason from my time as an E70 Diesel owner. 😂

Do you mind going to gas station and you will likely go very often with that X5M, and do you mind the current gas prices?

Anyways I also missed interior quality so I sold my Model 3 Performance and got a Taycan GTS. Lovely car. I am still keeping my Model X which will be replaced by the refresh MX soon.

On a side note after driving Teslas for so many years I really miss ICE noise so I got a McLaren for that. Personally I'd never replace my EV with ICE for daily cars.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC

X5M for build quality, Plaid to get kicked out of racetrack for cage violation.

From my own experience, I wouldn't write home about BMW's build quality. Only owned 2 - a 2001 330Xi and a 2008 535Xi Touring. Numerous problems with both, with the 5 series being the worst car I've ever owned and regularly in the shop for repairs. If you intend to get one, lease it and write off the cost. Their value plummets after the warranty - for a reason. Now I'll stay away from the brand.

I'll agree that dealerships seem to be better with BMW, but you certainly pay for it every way possible.

• Funny
Has BMW finally learned to make a gasket that doesn't leak after 4 years?
A part of me believes that BMW builds cars that last the duration of a 3 year lease. They are great the first three years and then things start to require replacement. Gaskets, bushings, etc. I don't think I've owned a newer BMW where the control arm bushings did not require replacement after around 35,000-40,000 miles.

A part of me believes that BMW builds cars that last the duration of a 3 year lease. They are great the first three years and then things start to require replacement. Gaskets, bushings, etc. I don't think I've owned a newer BMW where the control arm bushings did not require replacement after around 35,000-40,000 miles.
Sounds about right if you’re driving it the way you should.

BMWs are nice, but have their own build quality issues. We have owned dozens (we get a new leased vehicle on average of every 1.5 years). The last was a X3 previous to that an X5. Both had numerous rattles, needed alignments, had key fob lockouts, and expensive battery replacements with the dealer "calibration" BS. Also, I don't think I every want to mess with the iDrive knob again. BMW really needs to get rid of it rather than make it shiny crystal. Peruse the Bimmerfest and other BMW forums for specific issues about the model you are looking at.

The big thing I miss from the BMW is the HUD and bird's eye view. I really, really wish Tesla would add these.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I own both an X5 xDrive50i and a MYP. My wife and I drive both daily. BMW wins build quality by a wide margin. No rattles on the X5. The car feels solid. The X5 has 90k miles and is just shy of 6 years old. The BMW dealership charges $199 for unlimited oil changes for 3 years. I've had to replace a control arm due to noise. My only other expense has been tires. Otherwise, it's been absolutely perfect. 0-60 in 4 sec range. More than enough for me.

If I drive to the mountains I take my X5. Surprisingly, there are still no superchargers on the way (or in) Big Bear in SoCal. In the last two years, I've hit bumper to bumper 6+ hour traffic up the mountain, both during storms and I don't want to risk it with the MYP. I love my Tesla but reliability wise, I trust my X5 more than I do the MYP.

If you can’t laugh off the depreciation pounding of owning a BMW than the car is not for you - happy BMW people lease them. Shingles is right; they are designed to 3 year lease specs. Given that new car turnover in Europe is massive and so much of the car must be recyclable why not make the stepper motors out of cake frosting.

Reactions: sarugby4life