Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[2022] Damaged sway bar bushing & sheared bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scraped a parking block on my 2022 Model 3 Performance. Splash shield and front aero shield were replaced no problem, but the bolt that connects to the sway bar bushing cannot be replaced by Tesla without a new front subframe.

Called two local shops, but nobody wants to touch a Tesla. I’m tempted to try extracting the bolt myself and to just buy a replacement bushing on eBay.

Looking for advice, sympathy, all of the above. Location is Jacksonville, FL if anybody knows a shop that could touch this.

First photo is the intact side, second is the sheared side.

Attachments

• 2C3E1C01-577F-43CF-BC50-A270076D2602.jpeg
    2C3E1C01-577F-43CF-BC50-A270076D2602.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 421
  • 64DEA03E-5715-4CB2-B5C2-6FAE0D8C2461.jpeg
    64DEA03E-5715-4CB2-B5C2-6FAE0D8C2461.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 306
Reactions: cdub715
If you broke it off with an impact the remaining bit of bolt shouldn't even be very tight. I would cut a slot into it and use a flathead screwdriver or punch to spin it out! Worst case, you can weld a nut onto it to extract it. I certainly would only replace the subframe as an absolute last resort.
That’s what I was thinking, but I don’t have the tools to attempt it. The service center employee agreed that replacing the subframe was overkill for the issue, but also that they have to adhere to established repair procedure.
Doesn't Rich Rebuilds have a place in FL?

Pretty sure he's be able to come up with a solution.

He does - Ocala or W Palm Beach. See here
Thank you! This is exactly the sort of resource I hoped to find here, I have even seen his channel but didn’t know he was in Florida. I’ll send an email.

That’s what I was thinking, but I don’t have the tools to attempt it. The service center employee agreed that replacing the subframe was overkill for the issue, but also that they have to adhere to established repair procedure.

Thank you! This is exactly the sort of resource I hoped to find here, I have even seen his channel but didn’t know he was in Florida. I’ll send an email.
You'll want to hit up Electrified Garage Electrified Garage Tesla Service Center

Scraped a parking block on my 2022 Model 3 Performance. Splash shield and front aero shield were replaced no problem, but the bolt that connects to the sway bar bushing cannot be replaced by Tesla without a new front subframe.

Called two local shops, but nobody wants to touch a Tesla. I’m tempted to try extracting the bolt myself and to just buy a replacement bushing on eBay.

Looking for advice, sympathy, all of the above. Location is Jacksonville, FL if anybody knows a shop that could touch this.

Did you submit to your Insurance and let Tesla do their "thing"

You can faintly see the head of the front stud in the very center of this image. It appears to be round, thin, and flat but I can't tell whether it's welded or pressed.
Unfortunately, the stud you broke is the rear one which is not so accessible but if you think you can slip a nut in behind it, go ahead and start drilling. If it falls out when you hit it with the centerpunch then it was pressed.

Screenshot 2022-05-13 105556b.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Rmchrger
Great info and pictures Gauss Guzzler.
Seems the repair is more involved than expected! Hopefully Rich Rebuilds in his neck of the woods can help him. Like you said, even if you knock it loose, does it has enough room to be removed. The nut on the backside is a great idea if it's possible. All the other ways I see involve cutting and welding of the bracket.
Let us know how it goes Blakktux, good luck.

Sorry for those late chime on this. I had this exact thing happen to me. I over torqued the bolt which caused it to shear off just like OP. Went over to EVfixme in Costa Mesa, CA to get it fixed. They were able to drill a hole through and put an aluminum backing plate paired with a m16-m17 nutsert. Been driving on it for over 25k mi with no issues or clunking.

Reactions: smatthew

Does anyone know where I can get this bolt? Tesla is a PITA to order parts from.

I was able to remove the sheared off threaded portion of the bolt. Replaced it with something from my local hardware shop until I can get the correct bolt and then I will swap it out.

It’s metric 12 X 1.75 X 160mm

E28D3746-783C-4673-B446-3F3938FAFAF8.jpeg

Attachments

• 5F147AEF-1073-49CC-9D01-B1A622AD2799.jpeg
    5F147AEF-1073-49CC-9D01-B1A622AD2799.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 3F9DFDD0-9918-406A-B779-3DE26009DFF8.jpeg
    3F9DFDD0-9918-406A-B779-3DE26009DFF8.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 137
Yes. It is it’s own part. I got another one at the dealer. The part number is 1058584-00-A

Unfortunately the bolt broke again; so I’m afraid there may be something else going on in the front passenger sway linkage or elsewhere in that region.

BOLT,HF,M12X150,ZNFL,NOTCH,MAT(1058584- 00-A)
$8.32