Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 delivery or wait til 2023 and loose $250 vs $7500 gain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Kevin, schedule your Model Y delivery now at tesla.com/schedule/RN116xxxxxxxx

If you do not schedule delivery by 4PM tomorrow, your Model Y will be released to the next available customer.

Your order will be placed on hold and is subject to cancellation.

You need to do the math yourself. Assuming this is the first VIN you've gotten, you likely cannot delay your order until 2023. Tesla only provides a 1 week hold after your first VIN and they make you take delivery of your 2nd VIN.

First, do you qualify for the 2023 tax credit? Do you make under $150k single/$300k filing jointly? Also do you have at least $7500 in federal tax liability?

Let's assume you qualify and you are able to get the entire $7500. Then you need to do some simple math. Find out how much you would pay now with current prices vs how much you would save when you ordered. If you ordered before March 15th for example, you would save $6k if you ordered a MYLR.

In the above case, it may be worth it for you to cancel and reorder in 2023 to save $1k (remember about the 2x $250 order fees you paid). If you have local/state initiatives your old order are grandfathered into (like CA's Clean Air Credit), it may be worth sticking to your original order and taking delivery this year.

Otherwise, there is likely no difference with the vehicle if you picked it up this year vs early next year. It's hard to predict the future, but we know for sure that newer models will have undocumented and documented improvements much like buying a new phone. Of course, if you keep waiting for feature X and feature Y, you will never get the vehicle.

From what I understand... if your original delivery date was for January 2023 or later, you can get Tesla to postpone delivery until January. If your EDD was December of 2022 or earlier, and you get your VIN, you can only turn it down once. You have to take the second VIN or else they'll cancel your order and keep your deposit.

The current Model Y has gone up in price about 7k since March of 2022. So if you got that better price, like I did, you'll lose that savings and the tax credit will be a wash.

The tax credit is only good if you make less than 150k a year (300k filing jointly) and if you have any tax liability at the end of the year (IE... owe the feds any $$$).

Me being a small business owner, I think it's a wash either way. If I cancel, we'll be paying more and may not even get the $7500 if our tax liability is 0... which it usually is.

"It is what it is" is really the best answer here.

I'm hopeful congress will change the tax law so anyone who purchased a vehicle after the Inflation Reduction Act was passed (Aug 2022) will also qualify for the tax credit. Not just folks beginning in 2023.

I think the tax credit will work best in 2024 when the $7500 comes off the top at the dealership.

I am in the same boat with 7k better than current. I have been asked to take delivery of a second VIN. I would qualify for tax credit and don't want to leave that money on the table with it being so close. Tesla is not being helpful, despite my requests..!

I am in the same boat with 7k better than current. I have been asked to take delivery of a second VIN. I would qualify for tax credit and don't want to leave that money on the table with it being so close. Tesla is not being helpful, despite my requests..!
Your in Illinois. You already qualify for the IL 4K rebate along with the 7 you are already saving. At Best the Fed credit will be Half of 7500 due to the battery build so Why would you wait to get Less?

Your in Illinois. You already qualify for the IL 4K rebate along with the 7 you are already saving. At Best the Fed credit will be Half of 7500 due to the battery build so Why would you wait to get Less?
Yes, I was banking on the tax credit when I placed the order, as it is an expensive car! May be if the Fed credit is only half, then it is not so bad considering if I will get state credit..