Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Driver's Door Loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Model S LR picked up last week. My wife takes it for her her first round of errands only to come back to tell me that the driver's door is making a clunking noise when she opens it. Sure enough the top hinge is loose! Unbelievable! Both bolts are a bit more than hand tight. I already had an appointment for tomorrow so they could install a piece of trunk support they left out so I updated the app to include the loose door and the app changes the appointment to include bringing the car in to the service center but not until April 7! What? I'm supposed to drive around with a loose door for two weeks? Nope! I'll just show up there tomorrow and see what happens. How the hell does a loose door get out of the factory anyway? A tech had to come over on Monday and reinstall the left rear window seal that was hanging out when he found the missing rear trunk support and now the door is loose. I had a '17 Model S that was trouble-free so I don't know what's going on with this new one but I'm getting worried.

Marc

The bolts holding the drivers door to the hinge were also loose on my refresh LR S delivered a few weeks ago. I noticed because like you the door hinge was making a creaking noise. All 4 bolts were loose on the top and bottom hinges but I tightened them myself with a quarter drive socket set. Bolts on all other doors were tight. Could be a rogue worker on the line at Fremont but not good all the same. The car is perfect apart from that and no other issues yet.

Fun
I can only wonder, how does this door close? Re-torque all other door hinge bolts!
Funny you should say that. When the service guy called to say the car was done I asked him if they checked the other doors. His response was, "why, did you have an issue with any of the other ones?" Duh! "How would I know if you don't checked them? If one is loose who's to say another one might not be loose", I responded. "Ok good point, we'll check the others also...". Yikes!

Marc