Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 LR Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point - I’m assuming the Rich Rebuilds repair would void the warranty? If I didn’t think it would be a problem in the future or I just outright owned the car I’d probably go for it as well and keep the insurance battery money for the future like you’re saying.

At this point your battery warranty has already been voided. I would assume that when you buy a new pack it will only come with the 4 year/50k mile warranty. (It wouldn't be part of the original factory warranty.) So you would have less overall battery warranty on your car. (~4 year/70k miles less.)

It shouldn't void any other part of your warranty, unless they could show that the pack somehow caused the drive unit or something else to fail. (Which I think would be highly unlikely.)

If you get the pack replaced you are good to go again on the warranty front.
Well if you think 4 years less and 70k fewer miles is "good to go again."

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Well if you think 4 years less and 70k fewer miles is "good to go again."
I was wrong about that then if that is the case.

Would the same apply to a reman pack?

If so, basically what you are saying is that with any pack damage you lose (a portion of) warranty coverage. Good to know!

Seems like this is very important to know for sure when deciding whether to keep the car. Losing 4 years and miles is huge.

Makes the design defect even more upsetting. Probably 50% of these replacements could be avoided.

If so, basically what you are saying is that with any pack damage you lose (a portion of) warranty coverage. Good to know!

Seems like this is very important to know for sure when deciding whether to keep the car. Losing 4 years and miles is huge.
Yeah, definitely didn’t know about this. I think I just assumed the original factory battery warranty would continue to apply to whatever pack they replace it with in my car.

The warranty for a new/reman pack is the same. It is possible that Tesla would re-instate the factory battery warranty, but I wouldn't count on it unless you got it in writing. (Of course they probably don't have a system to properly track this kind of thing, so who knows how it would go.)

And it wouldn't be 70k miles less, because however many miles were driven so far wouldn't count against the replacement pack. (But I wouldn't think that many miles were driven in 4 months.)

Yeah, definitely didn’t know about this. I think I just assumed the original factory battery warranty would continue to apply to whatever pack they replace it with in my car.
If they claim no change in warranty make absolutely sure it is in writing, of course. Very official and well-documented writing, that explicitly supersedes any other documents/representations regarding the warranty on the pack.

I think I just assumed the original factory battery warranty would continue to apply to whatever pack they replace it with in my car.
That is a very logical assumption since they are supposed to be restoring the vehicle to pre-loss condition. But appears it may not be (is not!) the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
The warranty for a new/reman pack is the same. It is possible that Tesla would re-instate the factory battery warranty, but I wouldn't count on it unless you got it in writing. (Of course they probably don't have a system to properly track this kind of thing, so who knows how it would go.)
We can probably take guesses how it would go.

I didn’t want to start an entirely new thread to ask but I’ll admit I’m a little ignorant in the battery department: when I charged my 2022 LR I would get around 315-320 of estimated range at 90% charge. I know that’s just a number that can change constantly and actual range depends on countless factors while driving. I’m assuming battery pack being the same for the 2022 M3P something similar like .90 x 315 = 283 estimated range give or take? I’ll try to look around the forums to see what people are reporting out as some real world/actual ranges.

I’m assuming battery pack being the same for the 2022 M3P something similar like .90 x 315 = 283 estimated range give or take? I’ll try to look around the forums to see what people are reporting out as some real world/actual ranges.
Yes, but it’s of no bearing.

283rmi2022P and 320rmi2022LR are about the same range (energy of course).

It’s all the same. Just different units of energy.

The range you get just depends on how that energy is used.

(This isn’t strictly exactly true since 315rmi2022P is ~80.6kWh and 358rmi2022LR is ~79kWh but you get the idea and can calculate from there - 283rmi2022P is the same as 328rmi2022LR).

Very juicy rated miles on the Performance. Tesla got tired of the complaining I guess, haha. (Of course it is just based on the EPA test - all in the document above.)

Last edited:
Reading this thread makes me want to get the metal skid plates even more now.
They would help in some situations (like this one it seems likely as it was described, since the coolant hose was pulled on) but they do not protect against wheel well object intrusion, where the most vulnerable fitting is located. It’s literally right behind the wheel well liner.

Doing some quick Googling, it appears that vehicle repairs do not void your warranty, especially if OEM parts are used. Apparently, the only time your warranty is voided is if the car is totaled and a salvage title is issued.
The Tesla warranty has a specific clause that covers this;

1657814800725.png

That makes it very clear to me that a battery you buy and put in would not be covered under the factory warranty.

The Tesla warranty has a specific clause that covers this;

View attachment 828487

That makes it very clear to me that a battery you buy and put in would not be covered under the factory warranty.
I don't think that statement means that at all. A battery WAS included at purchase. This seems to be referring to add ons like upgraded wheels, or Homelink or accessories like a Wall Connector or floor mats. There's another section that specifically addresses when the warranty is voided.

A battery upgrade, if Tesla ever offers such a thing, would fall under this. The Voided Warranty section does address failing to do repairs, which would kick in if the OP went with the Rich Rebuilds style repair (of course he could always pull the insurance money back out of his pocket and pay for a later battery replacement if he did have a problem). But my reading says if you properly repair your car, especially if Tesla or a Tesla certified repair shop does it, the warranty continues.

Note: Tesla has included language to the effect that Tesla or a Tesla certified shop needs to do repairs, but they did NOT include that as a reason to void the warranty. Probably because they can't legally enforce that.

Last edited:
I don't think that statement means that at all. A battery WAS included at purchase. This seems to be referring to add ons like upgraded wheels, or Homelink or accessories like a Wall Connector or floor mats. There's another section that specifically addresses when the warranty is voided.
The warranty on the original battery has essentially been voided by this clause:
1657816214362.png

Nowhere does it say it is limited to add-ons. It just says "parts' and the battery is a part. Yes, a battery was included in the purchase, but the point is the battery, a part, that is being put in the vehicle was not included in the original purchase.

In the end it would be up to lawyers/arbitrators to figure out.

There is also this:
1657816593524.png

Which essentially says that parts put in under the warranty remain covered under the factory warranty terms, not the parts warranty terms. (i.e. if a battery is replaced with one day left on the factory warranty and it fails two days later you, the warranty has expired and you are screwed.)

If we go by what you think, if you hit something and damage your battery with 3 months left on the battery warranty and you buy a replacement and put it in you would only have a 3 month warranty on that battery, not the 4 year/50k mile warranty that a battery purchase would come with.

Last edited:
The warranty on the original battery has essentially been voided by this clause:
View attachment 828492

Nowhere does it say it is limited to add-ons. It just says "parts' and the battery is a part. Yes, a battery was included in the purchase, but the point is the battery, a part, that is being put in the vehicle was not included in the original purchase.

In the end it would be up to lawyers/arbitrators to figure out.
That snippet does NOT come from the voided warranty section, it comes from the exclusions and limitations section and means that fixing accident damage isn't covered under the warranty. I'm not a lawyer, but even I know that the document has to be read as a whole, not in tiny, out of context, bites.

The insurance company would not care if the replacement battery pack was new or reconditioned (or even out of a scrapped car) much the same way they would rather repair a dent than replace the panel. And if they were offered a cheaper (less capacity) battery pack they also would not complain, very much like if they replaced a panel with a pattern part.

If we go by what you think, if you hit something and damage your battery with 3 months left on the battery warranty and you buy a replacement and put it in you would only have a 3 month warranty on that battery, not the 4 year/50k mile warranty that a battery purchase would come with.
Which would be reasonable as the insurance company only needs to put you back in the same situation you were in, not convey an advantage by giving you an extended warranty. In point of fact, I've had a similar sort of situation occur with Toyota, when a warranty repair was done very close to the end of the warranty, and they indicated that I would get the parts warranty (I think it was either 90 days or 1 year on that part) rather than having the repair only warrantied for a very short time.

I can only assume that Tesla have some reconditioned batteries from a Made in China 2021 M3LR that they have in stock... Tesla are always reluctant to tell you which battery you have (or any part for that matter) because they seem to have a policy of ‘you get what we’ve got not what you think you want’

Got notified that my repair/battery replacement is complete and ready to pick up. I did confirm with the tech earlier in the week that it was a remanufactured pack that is “apples to apples” as the service advisor says (but still won’t tell me if it’s 82kwh pack or 74…)

Wanted to ask how I could find out what battery they put in my car (since Tesla won’t tell me). They charged it to 50% and I can see in the app that it’s at 50%/176 miles. Didn’t know if there’s some way I can do a rough calculation or something to determine if they put an older or newer cell technology pack in my car.

I did ask about warranty and the SA said it would continue off of my original 8yr/120k factory battery warranty.

Reactions: Originalando
Got notified that my repair/battery replacement is complete and ready to pick up. I did confirm with the tech earlier in the week that it was a remanufactured pack that is “apples to apples” as the service advisor says (but still won’t tell me if it’s 82kwh pack or 74…)

Wanted to ask how I could find out what battery they put in my car (since Tesla won’t tell me). They charged it to 50% and I can see in the app that it’s at 50%/176 miles. Didn’t know if there’s some way I can do a rough calculation or something to determine if they put an older or newer cell technology pack in my car.

I did ask about warranty and the SA said it would continue off of my original 8yr/120k factory battery warranty.
Depending on your wheel setup, it sounds like you're right in line with the range Tesla advertises for the M3LR.