Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 M3 400wh/mi and charging problems in 110F heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See the solution this guy found, had lots of leaves/gunk in and behind the radiator:
This ended up being a Superbottle failure, not due to the dirty radiator (which would probably have to be really bad to be a huge problem). No error codes allegedly, just HV battery overheating.

Maybe in @letterk case there is something wrong with Octovalve (not reading back to make sure that is what he has).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and rrolsbe
Very hard to say given the rough calculations. Tons of variables which is why the in-car display is long-awaited and much needed. Unlikely anything has changed that much even when comparing heat pump Model 3 to AC-only Model 3. Obviously for heating it will be much different.

Getting the very specific details and round trip info listed above would help narrow down the issue, or determine whether this is “normal.” Hard to say.
Actually, the mobile service guy said he thinks the previous gen Model 3 without the heat pump was more efficient in general. Said the heat pump helped the winter problem but made non-winter less efficient. I don't know all the details, but I can say my new Model 3 is far, far worse than my old Model 3 in the summer. But now that cooler weather is here, the new Model 3 looks to be more efficient than the old. As a hole, and with southern California weather, I think the new car will be overall less efficient in over 12 months.

Also, comparing friends numbers on those few 90F days since we got the new software, my car does appear to be pretty bad with the AC. Can't find anyone else hitting 25% of energy usage of the AC on those 90F days.

Now that the weather has cooled down, and I'm using the heater again, it's like my car is backwards. Heat is using very little energy. On a day where outside temps are in the 40's and I set inside temp to 72, it's never getting above 5-10% of energy usage on a 30min drive. This is completely opposite of my old 2018 M3. In my 2018 M3 my overall wh/mi would drop in the spring/summer and then rise in the fall/winter. Now it's the other way around. My overall lifetime efficiency has dropped 5 wh/mi in a month (at 12k miles).

• Funny
Reactions: KenC