Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 M3LR Dash buzz/rattle (not the normal one)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dash buzzes/rattles on certain rough pavement. This isn't coming from the front left and it still happens with the speaker grill removed so it's somewhere further inside the dash. I have a service appointment for Friday but I have low confidence that they will hear it, find it, and fix it. I'm going to show them this vid though:

I have the same rattle/buzz. They can't figure it out.

I had a similar creak. I added felt to the clips of the wooden dash mounts. It reduced creaks but not this particular one. After tapping around i found that the glove box latches on either side have some play. I added felt around them and felt on the glovebox door, where the plastic latches touch. That made the glove close much more snugly and eliminated the rattle. Another thing is to make sure the Alcantara trim on the doors is pushed in all the way. Give it a good wack around the edges. I head a few points that clipped in when I did this.

This morning I noticed that it wasn't buzzing. I thought it might only be happening when the AC is running, so I turned the temp down and noticed the rattle. It could be a coincidence so I'll need to test that more.
Mine definitely sounds like it's in the dash, not the display or glovebox but after reading above I'll look into it a bit more.

I have the same rattle I think:

This guy has a fix for something that sounds very similar:
Mine isn't the one from the "Fix" video. I removed the speaker grill and it still rattled. Tesla tried to fix it last Friday but it's still there so I need to make another appointment.
I noticed that it doesn't rattle when my heat is on but once I turn on the AC and it cools down a bit, the rattle returns.

Resolution finally... I hope.
First service appointment = "We tightened some screws and replaced a clip" -> Still rattled but since it was intermittent, they thought it was fixed.
Second service appointment = "Problem not detected"
When I picked the car up on the second service appointment it started rattling as I drove away. I turned around and went back to the service center where I requested that a Tech, not a service advisor, ride with me. The head tech came out and I was able to demonstrate the sound to him, he was surprised as he was one of the techs that test drove it and couldn't detect any rattle. He made a note of it and I scheduled a 3rd appointment.

By this time I knew 100% that the trigger for the rattle was the car sitting in the sun and warming up and then turning on the AC and cooling it. After a few min of cooling it would start to rattle at varying severities. The noise would be hard to locate but it was down inside the dash somewhere.

Third service appointment. I dropped my car off yet again. Knowing the service people and them knowing you by sight is not a good thing. Anyway, they had the notes and they assured me that the head tech that rode with me was going to work on it to which I replied "I don't want it back until it's fixed". The tech then set out on a journey to find this damn rattle. He kept digging deeper into the dash and after a few days the finally found that there was a plastic divider in the AC Box that was rattling. I guess they then needed to escalate it to engineering to verify that the fix was acceptable and not going to cause issues. I'm not clear at this point because according to my invoice, it looks like there are two line items. First there's a line that says they insulated the assembly - No noise present. Then there's a line that says they replaced the HVAC assembly. Here's where things get a little sideways. I'm not exactly sure the order that these issues occurred, but they noticed that my dash assembly was slightly off center. To fix it they needed to take the entire dash assembly out and reinstall. Sometime during this process, they cracked the windshield and had to replace it. After the dash was installed, the driver's knee airbag had a "fault present" so it also needed to be replaced.

So 2 weeks after dropping it off, I picked the car up yesterday and with fingers crossed, I drove home. So far, there is no rattle but the drive home from work today is the real test. Fingers crossed...

Many of you will read this and immediately roast the service techs. I won't do that. I spent a large part of my early career disassembling vehicle interiors and trouble shooting various issues, so I completely understand the situation. Cracking a windshield when replacing an entire dash assembly is not a complete surprise to me. Windshields and rear windows are very robust but they can have weird stress points that crack with lighter contact than one would expect. you hit one of those areas just a bit too hard and you're paying for new glass. Sometimes you just get those jobs where the vehicle fights you at every turn, no matter what.

So, if you have a newer Model 3 that has an intermittent rattle in the dash after the AC runs for a few minutes, let them know to check "the plastic divider in the AC box" and think positive thoughts, burn some sage, and don't piss off any old gypsy ladies.

This guy has a fix for something that sounds very similar:

Fantastic! 🎉🎉🎉

He explains how to test for the dash rattle. For a long time I thought my rattle was in the steering column.

He goes through a long process to add foam inside the dash, and at the very end points out you could probably skip all that and just jam some foam in between the dash and the windshield:

That's much higher bang/buck so I tried it today and it's working so far!

foam to fix rattle 2.jpg

This is a strip of auto/marine rubber seal, doubled over for thickness.

Resolution finally... I hope.
First service appointment = "We tightened some screws and replaced a clip" -> Still rattled but since it was intermittent, they thought it was fixed.
Second service appointment = "Problem not detected"
When I picked the car up on the second service appointment it started rattling as I drove away. I turned around and went back to the service center where I requested that a Tech, not a service advisor, ride with me. The head tech came out and I was able to demonstrate the sound to him, he was surprised as he was one of the techs that test drove it and couldn't detect any rattle. He made a note of it and I scheduled a 3rd appointment.

By this time I knew 100% that the trigger for the rattle was the car sitting in the sun and warming up and then turning on the AC and cooling it. After a few min of cooling it would start to rattle at varying severities. The noise would be hard to locate but it was down inside the dash somewhere.

Third service appointment. I dropped my car off yet again. Knowing the service people and them knowing you by sight is not a good thing. Anyway, they had the notes and they assured me that the head tech that rode with me was going to work on it to which I replied "I don't want it back until it's fixed". The tech then set out on a journey to find this damn rattle. He kept digging deeper into the dash and after a few days the finally found that there was a plastic divider in the AC Box that was rattling. I guess they then needed to escalate it to engineering to verify that the fix was acceptable and not going to cause issues. I'm not clear at this point because according to my invoice, it looks like there are two line items. First there's a line that says they insulated the assembly - No noise present. Then there's a line that says they replaced the HVAC assembly. Here's where things get a little sideways. I'm not exactly sure the order that these issues occurred, but they noticed that my dash assembly was slightly off center. To fix it they needed to take the entire dash assembly out and reinstall. Sometime during this process, they cracked the windshield and had to replace it. After the dash was installed, the driver's knee airbag had a "fault present" so it also needed to be replaced.

So 2 weeks after dropping it off, I picked the car up yesterday and with fingers crossed, I drove home. So far, there is no rattle but the drive home from work today is the real test. Fingers crossed...

Many of you will read this and immediately roast the service techs. I won't do that. I spent a large part of my early career disassembling vehicle interiors and trouble shooting various issues, so I completely understand the situation. Cracking a windshield when replacing an entire dash assembly is not a complete surprise to me. Windshields and rear windows are very robust but they can have weird stress points that crack with lighter contact than one would expect. you hit one of those areas just a bit too hard and you're paying for new glass. Sometimes you just get those jobs where the vehicle fights you at every turn, no matter what.

So, if you have a newer Model 3 that has an intermittent rattle in the dash after the AC runs for a few minutes, let them know to check "the plastic divider in the AC box" and think positive thoughts, burn some sage, and don't piss off any old gypsy ladies.
I hope this fix works for you long term. I think what you had is exactly what I sometimes have. I also notice it deep in the dash so might put this on a future service appointment. Gotta eliminate a rattle from the rear deck too.

Resolution finally... I hope...

I had the exact same rattle in my 2022 M3P, but mine would only occur with the climate set to 72 degrees and only when the sun was not out for some strange reason. When the rattle was occurring if I would drop the climate to 70 degrees, the rattle would disappear after about 30 seconds. After 3 visits for the same noise, I finally requested the technicians to drive the car home overnight and try again as the noise was able to be reproduced every evening or early in the morning before sunrise. 2 days later, they finally got the noise to occur as loudly as I had heard it, and determined the same thing (HVAC box replacement).

Since then, not a peep from the dash and the only casualty appears to be the lower knee airbag cover missing a clip and hanging down. Scheduled an appointment for 7/6 to swap that out via mobile service. According to my invoice there was an article somewhere referencing this noise that made them determine HVAC case replacement was necessary, so this could be a fairly common thing.

I had the exact same rattle in my 2022 M3P, but mine would only occur with the climate set to 72 degrees and only when the sun was not out for some strange reason. When the rattle was occurring if I would drop the climate to 70 degrees, the rattle would disappear after about 30 seconds. After 3 visits for the same noise, I finally requested the technicians to drive the car home overnight and try again as the noise was able to be reproduced every evening or early in the morning before sunrise. 2 days later, they finally got the noise to occur as loudly as I had heard it, and determined the same thing (HVAC box replacement).

Since then, not a peep from the dash and the only casualty appears to be the lower knee airbag cover missing a clip and hanging down. Scheduled an appointment for 7/6 to swap that out via mobile service. According to my invoice there was an article somewhere referencing this noise that made them determine HVAC case replacement was necessary, so this could be a fairly common thing.

When did they fix yours? I wonder if mine was the one that they used to determine it. They were supposedly going back and forth with engineering quite a bit during the hunt for the noise and solution. Glad it was worked out for you.

Passenger door has had a rattle since mobile repair took the panel off. I also found a leftover bolt on the carpet. After pulling off the panel I found speaker screw was missing and window regulator had one incorrectly placed bolt. Corrected the bolts, tightened everything up, added some felt tape, and replaced all 9 door clips (1135147-00-A). Rattle gone!

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Reactions: Transformer
When did they fix yours? I wonder if mine was the one that they used to determine it. They were supposedly going back and forth with engineering quite a bit during the hunt for the noise and solution. Glad it was worked out for you.

First visit was back on December 30 of last year, fix was finally determined on April 10th but not completed until May 25th due to parts availability and service scheduling.

I hope this fix works for you long term. I think what you had is exactly what I sometimes have. I also notice it deep in the dash so might put this on a future service appointment. Gotta eliminate a rattle from the rear deck too.
If it seems to be affected by AC temp, and it is down far enough to not really be able to tell exactly where the noise is, then it may be the same thing. Make sure to give as much info as you can to the service people. If it's intermittent, you really need to describe what circumstances cause it. Also take a video, if you can, to show them.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer