Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 M3LR Dash buzz/rattle (not the normal one)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this "AC box" rattle. Do you guys by chance have the part number of the "AC box" that they replaced? Should be able to pull up the invoice in the service history in your Tesla app. I'm looking at the EPC right now to try to find the "HVAC box or "AC box" to figure out what exactly needs to be replaced, but I can't figure it out.

Thank you! I fear that requires removing the entire damned dash 😭
Yeah I sort of worried they would introduce more issues than they'd fix if they dissembled the dash...

I ended up just stuffing a piece of foam between the windshield and the dash, fully fixed my issue. Obviously not as elegant as it could be but stupid easy and almost impossible to see normally:
1674145274119.png

My original sound:

Attachments

• 1674145258631.png
    1674145258631.png
    525.2 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Transformer
Stumbled on this thread while trying to troubleshoot my own buzzing sound coming from the passenger dash and thought I'd offer my root cause and solution. Did everything that everyone in this thread previously suggested but it ended up being the simplest of issue. If you pull off the dash cover and look underneath it, you will see that it is lined with very cheap and flimsy gray foam strips. Some of the foam was no longer adhering to the plastic dash, especially the ends of the foam strip which resulted in it flapping around and rubbing against the plastic dash. This resulted in:

- buzzing randomly, primarily low speeds because it reverberated more from road vibration
- randomly when AC is turned on but mostly independent of the AC being on or off
- when driving behind another car especially one with a deep exhaust or through a bridge or tunnel it'll buzz because of the reverberation in the air

Fix: pull off the old gray foam and basically re-align with a different high density adhesive foam strip (I just bought a random strip on Amazon and cut it down to the right width). Just be sure the new foam strip is not too thick otherwise the tongue will not be able to engage into the u-clips.

Stumbled on this thread while trying to troubleshoot my own buzzing sound coming from the passenger dash and thought I'd offer my root cause and solution. Did everything that everyone in this thread previously suggested but it ended up being the simplest of issue. If you pull off the dash cover and look underneath it, you will see that it is lined with very cheap and flimsy gray foam strips. Some of the foam was no longer adhering to the plastic dash, especially the ends of the foam strip which resulted in it flapping around and rubbing against the plastic dash. This resulted in:

- buzzing randomly, primarily low speeds because it reverberated more from road vibration
- randomly when AC is turned on but mostly independent of the AC being on or off
- when driving behind another car especially one with a deep exhaust or through a bridge or tunnel it'll buzz because of the reverberation in the air

Fix: pull off the old gray foam and basically re-align with a different high density adhesive foam strip (I just bought a random strip on Amazon and cut it down to the right width). Just be sure the new foam strip is not too thick otherwise the tongue will not be able to engage into the u-clips.
I actually might have rattle too. When you say dash cover do you mean the wooden trim piece? When it was making the noise, could you reproduce the sound just by tapping on that wooden strip on the passenger side?

I actually might have rattle too. When you say dash cover do you mean the wooden trim piece? When it was making the noise, could you reproduce the sound just by tapping on that wooden strip on the passenger side?
Correct, the wooden trim piece. There is rough scratchy foam lining the underside of that trim piece. The noise was tough to reproduce by just tapping on dash trim. It took a specific type of vibration for the noise to be produced, like a constant shake over a bumpy road - part of the reason why it was really tough to diagnose.

Reactions: ev_go123
Came across this other thread. Seems like the passenger dash buzz may actually be coming from the rear view mirror housing. I noticed my rear view mirror had some horizontal play which contributed to a bit of a vibration. Followed the detailed instructions and youtube video in one of the posts to solve that vibration also.

Loose Rearview Mirror

I have the same rattle I think:

This guy has a fix for something that sounds very similar:
Yes, I'm still trying to fix this sporadic rattle. This second video with the fix... yesterday I did what he did which was to accidentally push one of the clips through when reattaching the speaker grill. I noticed it today because it now slides around when I corner. 🤬 He said using a hard drive magnet on a coat hanger he was able to fish it out. Anyone else suffer this fate and have success retrieving the clip that will be helpful for me this week when I take the damn thing apart yet again?