Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 M3LR Insufficient Regen After Preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still think the temperature targets are different. My car used to heat the battery in the past when it was below 50F. Now I dont hear the motors running anymore when in my garage and remote started.
The preheating targets have definitely changed over time. It used to be 10 or 12°C and now it’s something like 7°C. I’m curious if the target is different for plugged vs unplugged.

Reactions: Park2670
But that's what I did @Regaj, open the apps a few minutes before leaving and asking to heat the cabin. That does heat the battery until I open a car door. I did it again this morning with outside temp of -4C after the car slept outside all night. Here's a screenshot just a little bit after starting cabin conditioning:
View attachment 877126
And another one a few minutes later, just before I went out to leave:
View attachment 877127

You can see that power goes up to 3.5kW per stator after a while when cabin heating pulls less power.

I have a 2020 LR AWD Model 3, so resistive heating (no heat pump) in case that makes a difference.

Roger that, @GtiMart. You are correct! Hold that thought.

I need one more cold morning to check something.

Reactions: dafish and GtiMart
@Big Earl , I was not plugged in. Both tests were done unplugged.

Yes, targets have changed. The first year I got my car (3 years ago now) this would heat the battery to 20-21C. I was discouraged at how much energy was spent doing this and was only starting cabin heating a couple minutes before leaving. At that time I believe it also took a 20C battery to get full regen.

Last year was similar to this year. The target heating seems closer to 7C for active heating with the battery ending up in the 10-11C range after harvesting the remaining heat that was generated in the stators. (note that I don't have a heat pump). I need to get a good test case this year to double-check those values but it's ballpark. This coincides with a change that now gives us good regen at lower battery temps. I *think*, but that needs re-validation, that at 10-11C we can get full regen or very close to. Regen currently starts appearing in the 2-3C battery temp range but it depends on your driving. IF you use regen while the battery is still cold, the max regen value goes down pretty quickly, to come back up when you accelerate again. It's fun to watch :)