Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2 day old Model 3 LR was rear ended on the freeway :-( My initial estimate to repair is $25,376.79. At this point I don't even want it repaired but have to go with whatever the insurance decides. Any advise from people in similar situations?

Attachments

• T1.jpg
    T1.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 341
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 258
  • T3.jpg
    T3.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 252
My initial estimate to repair is $25,376.79
Wow. A seemingly drivable Model 3 after being rear ended and the repair will be $25k? That is insanity. Are collision shops gouging Tesla customers? Was the battery pack damaged? This is why my Tesla comprehensive/collision is more than my Ford Expedition, way too expensive to fix unless it is a cosmetic issue.

Reactions: XPsionic
Tesla certified body shops would probably quote $10K max for this. Maybe even $5-8K if all the damage is in the bumper skin and rear valance (they or any other shop will only be able to confirm once they remove all the plastic and have a better look at the metal underneath.

You got lucky with no (apparent) damage to the trunk hatch/lid since those are a. usually on backorder b. come in damaged in raw form from Tesla.

Based on your photos, I had far more damage done to the front of my M3LR and a Tesla Authorized body shop did the work for $9200. I seriously question the estimate you got. Unless your battery is damaged too, the cost should be no more than what I had to pay. I needed an entire new front bumper, the crash cans behind the bumper, both headlight assemblies, and both front quarter panels. Your photos make the damage look strictly cosmetic. By the way, after my M3 was repaired, it looked and drives as good as new

Went to a tesla certified body shop... the quarter panels need to be replaced, obviously the bumper and the trunk needs to be replaced, the hatch/trunk lid is bent and needs to be replaced and there's structural damage. The doors are not lined up correctly anymore. The lady who hit me was going about 40mph, so I knew there'd been hidden damage.

Assuming that you are working with her insurance let them know that you require a equivalent rental car, i.e. electric, repairs may take a long time, and that you are going to file a diminished value claim. That may light a fire under them to decide to total the vehicle. Or depending on her insurance limits they may just write you a check for her property damage limit and walk away. (It is ridiculous that the minimum coverage in California is $5k.)

Check out and see if the Hertz in your area have Model 3s available to rent...