Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 M3P sits higher than my old 2019 M3LR both with 20"s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering I thought the P model was supposed to sit 1" lower and have upgraded suspension? I noticed on the old car when I would open the door I would have about 1/2" clearance over a curb in my garage and I assumed I would have issues with the P and this curb but it actually clears by 1" or so.
Any know what the deal is with the suspension on the 2022 M3P's?

There have been many complaints about the ride height of the 3P not being as "lowered" as one might expect and Tesla recently removed the "lowered suspension" wording from their website. Perhaps because it wasn't significantly lower anyway? Or perhaps they recently changed something with the 2022?

The ride height is set by the springs which have not been updated since 2018:
Front: 1044379-04-B
Rear: 1044472-04-A

Take a look at the label on your spring, it's fairly easy to see from the outside. If the last part of the number (e.g. 04-B) is the same then you have the same old not-so-low ride height as the rest of us. But if it is different they may have made some changes.

1044379-04-B.jpg

There have been many complaints about the ride height of the 3P not being as "lowered" as one might expect and Tesla recently removed the "lowered suspension" wording from their website. Perhaps because it wasn't significantly lower anyway? Or perhaps they recently changed something with the 2022?

The ride height is set by the springs which have not been updated since 2018:
Front: 1044379-04-B
Rear: 1044472-04-A

Take a look at the label on your spring, it's fairly easy to see from the outside. If the last part of the number (e.g. 04-B) is the same then you have the same old not-so-low ride height as the rest of us. But if it is different they may have made some changes.

View attachment 761077
Thank you .

Just wondering I thought the P model was supposed to sit 1" lower and have upgraded suspension? I noticed on the old car when I would open the door I would have about 1/2" clearance over a curb in my garage and I assumed I would have issues with the P and this curb but it actually clears by 1" or so.
The Performance was never 1" lower. I believe it was 1mm lower. A few reasons for yours now being lower: the new springs haven't sagged any like the older ones might have; or the new Performance might be lighter if Tesla made weight reductions for better range. And like was mentioned by another poster, Tesla doesn't specify anymore as of recently that the Performance has any suspension differences anymore.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I purchased a used set of springs from a performance (18 or 19 cant remember) with the same front spring part numbers but different rear part numbers
rear 1044472-94-A

Stock springs on my 2020 Stealth (delivered in Dec of 2019). The front springs have no separate label on them and never did, just a damper assy number.
My rear springs have another different number.
Front assy # 1044363-04-B DAMPER ASSY, FRONT-LEFT, COIL PDM E3
Rear 1044472-01-E RR SPRING, COIL 74.7-7250 E3

Sometimes I think they throw on whatever they had in stock...lol

That's interesting, a "Stealth" should have the regular LR suspension but your front damper 1044363-04-B is the Performance version, used in 2018/19/20/21/?. I believe the "PDM" part of the description means "Performance Dual Motor" as opposed to "DM" or "RWD" markings.

Meanwhile your rear spring 1044472-01-E has long been used in RWD and AWD models and I believe is still current for both but I don't think it has ever been used in a Performance model, though the LR and P did briefly share the same rear spring in 2018 (1044472-94-A).

Reactions: Rmchrger

Interesting that in the article you linked to, it says this:

Interestingly, you can visually see that Tesla still lowers the image of the vehicle when quickly switching between the Long Range and Performance models on the Design Studio.

Yet, I just tried it and currently, it does __not__.

It used to be very obvious (visually) when you toggled between the two models, like when I got mine, but now, nothing, plus the removal of the actual "lowered suspension" language.

If they went through the effort to make those changes, I think that's possibly confirms the change to the car. That kind of stinks, that was a nice perk for the Performance Model unless there are other plans (like an Air Suspension option).

do you have a picture? hard to believe without one.

It used to be very obvious (visually) when you toggled between the two models, like when I got mine, but now, nothing, plus the removal of the actual "lowered suspension" language.
I did that same thing when I first read that article and it was accurate. The wording had been removed but the graphics still showed the lowered version. But within a few days they had updated the graphics so now only the Y is displayed lower (and still has wording).

I measured ground to fender months ago, here are the results if you want to compare:

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Bumping up an old thread, but I got a look at my suspension with my borescope on my February 2022 build M3P. I couldn't see the label on the front springs themselves, but the front damper assemblies are 1044363-04-C and 1044368-04-C for left and right respectively. Rear springs are 1044472-04-A. Both appear to be parts long used on the M3P, so I don't think there was an actual change

Apologies for the low quality images.

Attachments

• Image_2022-04-25 15_35_13_725.JPG
    Image_2022-04-25 15_35_13_725.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 49
  • Image_2022-04-25 15_31_29_416.JPG
    Image_2022-04-25 15_31_29_416.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Image_2022-04-25 15_30_50_152.JPG
    Image_2022-04-25 15_30_50_152.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 64