Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 m3p wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered a 2022 m3p. Im reading about the high likelihood of getting a flat at anytime.
Instead of getting a Modern Spare tire, i was wondering if i can get a 20”x8.5” wheel on ebay and use that as a “full size spare”

Im new to wheel sizes….. will any 20”x8.5” Tesla wheel work as a temp spare? Can i use a 20”x 8.5 from a 2019 m3 performance?

Just FYI the 2021-2022 "Uberturbine" M3P wheel is 20x9. The previous M3P wheel was 20x8.5. There is no change to the way they mount or fit, either fits older or newer M3P.

Yes an older 20x8.5" M3P wheel would work as a spare but as @Gauss Guzzler says, there goes much of your trunk space. Waiting for a tow truck or roadside assistance sucks but if you're daily driving around major metropolitan areas and major highways with cell coverage, lots of passerbys, etc - I wouldn't bother using up half my trunk space for a giant spare.

Now if you're heading out to the boonies then by all means load up with whatever you think is worth having on hand in case you can't reach anyone for help.

I'm also going to suggest that if you're worried enough about cracked wheels and flats with the 20s on your roads, I think it makes sense to downsize. I switched my 2021 M3P to 18x8.5" wheels with 245/45R18 tires and everything is better - grip, power steering feel, ride quality are all better, and the car feels more nimble in tight back-and-forth turns. I do love the Uberturbines look but having more tire sidewall is just way more practical for me, on the roads I drive on.

Just FYI the 2021-2022 "Uberturbine" M3P wheel is 20x9. The previous M3P wheel was 20x8.5. There is no change to the way they mount or fit, either fits older or newer M3P.

Yes an older 20x8.5" M3P wheel would work as a spare but as @Gauss Guzzler says, there goes much of your trunk space. Waiting for a tow truck or roadside assistance sucks but if you're daily driving around major metropolitan areas and major highways with cell coverage, lots of passerbys, etc - I wouldn't bother using up half my trunk space for a giant spare.

Now if you're heading out to the boonies then by all means load up with whatever you think is worth having on hand in case you can't reach anyone for help.

I'm also going to suggest that if you're worried enough about cracked wheels and flats with the 20s on your roads, I think it makes sense to downsize. I switched my 2021 M3P to 18x8.5" wheels with 245/45R18 tires and everything is better - grip, power steering feel, ride quality are all better, and the car feels more nimble in tight back-and-forth turns. I do love the Uberturbines look but having more tire sidewall is just way more practical for me, on the roads I drive on.

Great idea on switching to 18” If i wanted to do that could i get the 18” aero wheels? Would they fit with the performance breaks?
Also …. Do u know if its as easy as swaping the wheels (screwing them on) or does a professional have to do it (Like getting the TPMS working with the smaller wheels)?

General knowledge here is the Tesla 18" aero wheels don't fit. So I went aftermarket with a wheel that's machined to fit directly on the M3P "stepped lip" hub (Titan7 T-S5). There's also wheels that fit with just a centering ring or small 3mm "step delete" spacer.

TPMS sensors will sync up automatically after driving around for a bit. I bought a new set from Tesla. If you buy wheels + tires + TPMS pre-mounted, or you're swapping between summer and winter or whatnot, you can just swap the wheels yourself. Though for a tighter fitment like 18" on M3P PUP brakes I would suggest getting tires mounted at a local shop with your car there, so they can make sure they don't use wheel weights that are too big, and don't place them anywhere that would interfere.

I went with Bridgestone Potenza Sport tires in 245/45R18. Big upgrade over the stock Pirelli PZ4. I wanted more grip than stock and got it, actually got more extra grip than I expected. Where the PZ4 would squeal and start to slide these just quietly grip & go about their business. They're easily better wet and dry. And surprisingly I couldn't detect any loss of steering response from the taller sidewalls, I think these must have pretty stiff sidewalls even for a performance tire. (I'm still on stock suspension and bushings, so I have the stock M3P steering input delay, just it didn't get any worse that I could tell. Probably if I had stiff bushings and suspension I could feel some small extra turn-in delay vs skinny stretched 235/35R0 but not with stock soft setup.)

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are also highly regarded here, though I haven't tried them yet as they were on backorder everywhere in 245/45R18 for a long while.

General knowledge here is the Tesla 18" aero wheels don't fit. So I went aftermarket with a wheel that's machined to fit directly on the M3P "stepped lip" hub (Titan7 T-S5). There's also wheels that fit with just a centering ring or small 3mm "step delete" spacer.

TPMS sensors will sync up automatically after driving around for a bit. I bought a new set from Tesla. If you buy wheels + tires + TPMS pre-mounted, or you're swapping between summer and winter or whatnot, you can just swap the wheels yourself. Though for a tighter fitment like 18" on M3P PUP brakes I would suggest getting tires mounted at a local shop with your car there, so they can make sure they don't use wheel weights that are too big, and don't place them anywhere that would interfere.

I went with Bridgestone Potenza Sport tires in 245/45R18. Big upgrade over the stock Pirelli PZ4. I wanted more grip than stock and got it, actually got more extra grip than I expected. Where the PZ4 would squeal and start to slide these just quietly grip & go about their business. They're easily better wet and dry. And surprisingly I couldn't detect any loss of steering response from the taller sidewalls, I think these must have pretty stiff sidewalls even for a performance tire. (I'm still on stock suspension and bushings, so I have the stock M3P steering input delay, just it didn't get any worse that I could tell. Probably if I had stiff bushings and suspension I could feel some small extra turn-in delay vs skinny stretched 235/35R0 but not with stock soft setup.)

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are also highly regarded here, though I haven't tried them yet as they were on backorder everywhere in 245/45R18 for a long while.
I have apples to apples comparison on the stock Pirellis vs the 4S. I always planned on getting the Michelins but had a sidewall blowout within 750 miles of ownership and bought a set then. More composed in all situations and a sidewall that actually exists. The Pirellis have a bit of stretch and leave you pretty exposed as my experience quickly confirmed.