Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MIC RWD glove box USB, it slides?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As titled, bought an USB hub wanting to play music off glovebox and sentry mode. However I found the USB plug is now recessed and hub doesn't go all the way in. Played around the plug and it now slides up but not all the way. Anyone taken out the entire glovebox to rotate the plug or is it even possible?
PXL_20220903_025441819.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220902_053910697.jpg
    PXL_20220902_053910697.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20220903_025154448.jpg
    PXL_20220903_025154448.jpg
    758.5 KB · Views: 63
Probably easier to get a pigtail extension (or get a hub already with a pigtail) than to try to mess around with it.
Nah, this is what i'm trying to get away from, been using a smaller hub that has the 20cm extension but find that so cumbersome having a loose wire around. what i may have to is to look for another hub that's vertical yet it fits within the recessed area. Looking back at various pictures online, the 2021 model 3/Y seem to have a flat surface with the plug instead of this recess. what i couldn't find info on is why the slide of the USB plug. I'm assuming some easy replacement of sorts. Maybe i'll spare some time next weekend to take out the glovebox and examine further. :)

Nah, this is what i'm trying to get away from, been using a smaller hub that has the 20cm extension but find that so cumbersome having a loose wire around. what i may have to is to look for another hub that's vertical yet it fits within the recessed area. Looking back at various pictures online, the 2021 model 3/Y seem to have a flat surface with the plug instead of this recess. what i couldn't find info on is why the slide of the USB plug. I'm assuming some easy replacement of sorts. Maybe i'll spare some time next weekend to take out the glovebox and examine further. :)
I have a 2021 too and I didn't notice it being sliding like that, and a quick search online doesn't show other examples like yours. As you guess probably it is for easier replacement of the socket (don't have to replace the whole glove box panel, can remove only that part).

I thought that Hubs are not recommended?

The manual says not to use them, are they ok to use?

Note
Do not connect multiple devices using a USB hub. This can prevent connected devices from charging or from being recognized by Media Player, Sentry Mode, Dashcam, etc
Plenty of people use them with no problems. Tesla likely puts that there because a faulty hub can make certain features not work, and they would rather you not use one so it's easier for them to diagnose problems.

my model had the centre console USB C data removed so the only data port is off the glovebox. been using a low power hub for 3 months now without issue, like i said earlier, it is just cumbersome having a wire dangling around. music plays, dash cam records, but when car is in deep sleep sentry mode does not work. :p Hence this USB hub upgrade as it stays on when needed (tested with a piggy back USB cable).

yeah, did that initially. 2 partitions on the tesla-supplied 128Gb. I generally have around 60Gb of music at any one time so did an even split of the partitions, then created the TeslaCam folder in one partition and the other partition just Music. But found that I'm constantly adding more and more music and to the point that I'm having to reduce the Tesla partition and increase the music partition. Sure, I could get a bigger fast USB drive to replace the Tesla one, but would also need a port to plug in my game controller.. :) Oh well, unless I replace the centre console USB-C port with the data-enabled board from T-parts

Just took out the entire glovebox - my 2022 MIC M3 RWD has slightly different bolt points compared to what's in the current service manual. :( Nevertheless, the way to remove the glovebox is as follows:
1) side dash panels on BOTH sides;
2) small vertical panel along A pillar (on passenger side), doesn't matter if it is a RHD or LHD vehicle
3) entire dash trim (pull slightly up and then out)
4) large door sill trim - has 1 plastic rivet up top that's it, otherwise it is all clips (bottom A pillar all the way along passenger door sill)
5) under glovebox panel (3 plastic rivets), then pull down to release from clips. 3 plugs to remove (footwell light, speaker, and OBD plug)
6) 7 torx screws (3 across the top under dash, two facing the seat, two underneath)
7) No need to remove knee airbag at this stage
8) Open glovebox one last torx screw right across the top
9) pull slightly downward and the out towards the seat (two clips underneath and one tight clip right beside where the wireless pad is)

that's it. with the glovebox removed, the USB port can be slided out completely. Ran out of day light, next surgeries:

1. try to remove the two torx on the USB slide out and see if I can swing the socket 90 degree around, so that I can plug my hub in;
2. if not, maybe I'll remove the slide out altogether and then use a USB-A 3.0 extension and glue gun the socket to a new location so that I have a flat surface to plug in my USB hub.

And crap, I didn't take any pictures, but despite all these instructions, it is quite easy to take apart, probably, 15-20 minutes if you follow the instructions above.

Happy modding.