Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 Adaptive Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never mind, I just looked at the pictures of what we are buying and the headlights look like the top picture in that comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 223
I wouldn't hold your breathe. Europe has allowed adaptive headlights for years, my previous cars both had them and they were excellent. New Teslas still don't have them activated.
+1

Headlight intelligence doesn't seem to feature high on Tesla's list of priorities. The fact automatic headlights has functioned so poorly for so long suggests that this is not a domain that they are particularly interested in.

The likes of BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc have had years of iterative development on headlight technology, to the point where they've got those systems down pretty much perfectly, I think. They seem to be in a refinement and improvement phase with it now. Tesla on the other hand, the headlights are as dumb as they can be. It would take a pretty incredible step-change in intelligence for them to come close to the sort of "mask oncoming cars out" functionality seen in other marques.

Fyi- not to kill anyone's dreams here, but not all Model 3s are coming with the matrix lights. There's another thread related to this but I'm not sure how to link it. Seems like there was a period starting on 4/23 and ending sometime on 4/25 where they switched back to the older style (still LED) headlights. I am picking up my car on Monday. It was built on April 23 and my SA confirmed it has "premium" headlights. She said if they were the matrix lights it would say "global" instead. There was apparently a parts shortage which required them to pull some of the older style lights and use them instead. From what I've read it only impacted long range models, but I I'm not 100% sure about that. I've seen people who took delivery of 4/26 builds with the matrix lights. Anything built between 4/23-25 is kind of a crap-shoot which lights you'll get. Good thing is, they likely have all of those VINs assigned by now. If you have an early may delivery window, ask your SA which lights will be coming on the car (if it's important to you).

I've made up my mind that if the only thing "wrong" is the headlights, I'll accept delivery. If there are paint issues and unreasonable panel gaps on top of the older style lights, I'll consider passing on this one and get back in the queue for one that better matches my expectations.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I wouldn't hold your breathe. Europe has allowed adaptive headlights for years, my previous cars both had them and they were excellent. New Teslas still don't have them activated.

+1

Headlight intelligence doesn't seem to feature high on Tesla's list of priorities. The fact automatic headlights has functioned so poorly for so long suggests that this is not a domain that they are particularly interested in.

The likes of BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc have had years of iterative development on headlight technology, to the point where they've got those systems down pretty much perfectly, I think. They seem to be in a refinement and improvement phase with it now. Tesla on the other hand, the headlights are as dumb as they can be. It would take a pretty incredible step-change in intelligence for them to come close to the sort of "mask oncoming cars out" functionality seen in other marques.

Yeah, I'm semi convinced that the main reason Tesla switched to these lights is to allow the same lamps to be used worldwide (by using the matrix tech to conform to the different beam pattern requirements and such). They've never had state of the art headlamps in any of their cars, and it just doesn't seem like a priority for them.

Reactions: Durzel