Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 Adaptive Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New headlights have been available on all Model 3 trim since late December 2020/January 2021 built. Model Y however Performance have the new headlights as well. But for some reason old headlights are still being used in Model Y long range.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
My 2021 Model 3 came with matrix headlights, but with only two exceptions, they are static in pattern/aim.

Exception 1: headlight aiming function on the service menu moves the headlights through their range and projects a special aiming pattern to help with proper adjustment. Warning: don’t hit the Adjust button unless you’re parked on a level surface… any slope seems to throw off leveling calibration, requiring manual adjustment with the scroll wheels during the alignment process.

Exception 2: latest software update with the LightShow dance in the Toy Box projects the word TESLA using the headlight matrix pixels during the demo.

I’m hopeful that someday we’ll have adaptive headlights either through the motors or matrix pixels or both.

Reactions: Floydsox
My 2021 Model 3 came with matrix headlights, but with only two exceptions, they are static in pattern/aim.

Exception 1: headlight aiming function on the service menu moves the headlights through their range and projects a special aiming pattern to help with proper adjustment. Warning: don’t hit the Adjust button unless you’re parked on a level surface… any slope seems to throw off leveling calibration, requiring manual adjustment with the scroll wheels during the alignment process.

Exception 2: latest software update with the LightShow dance in the Toy Box projects the word TESLA using the headlight matrix pixels during the demo.

I’m hopeful that someday we’ll have adaptive headlights either through the motors or matrix pixels or both.
My 2022 Model 3 has the new matrix headlights, but I don't see the lights move with steering when driving. It's one of the things that I missed from my prior car. The infrastructure bill that was recently passed, with a clause that within 2 years the transportation secretary will need to make adjustments to legalize adaptive driving beam headlights. Until they amend the current headlight rules, the adaptive beams are not allowed to be enabled. (They can be installed but just use the normal functions.)

Reactions: MP3Mike
Model 3 Headlights Can Project The Words "TESLA" In New Holiday Update Light Show Version 2021.44.25

You may see more about this subject with this feature at above link 5:10 of a.m. video.
The ability of the head lights to "write" TESLA at the garage door does give us a glimpse of what will be able in the future. Driving with hi beams all the times being able to mark out the oncoming traffic or any vehicle in front to avoid dazzling. Audi, BMW and MB are already able to offer this features since years.

The below video does illustrate it quite well.

As mentioned, BMW has this function already since the last 7 years on the market. Also BMW does work with a camera in the windshield. But here you do see the difference in philosophy. BMW does not allow you to record or even look at the windshield footage when TESLA does allow to record and safe and share but does have a difficultt time with the adaptive light in general.
It is most likely also a marketing strategy. As long the Teslas getting sold like fresh cut bread, the Vehicles will most likely stay as they are with some limited updates alike bread and games to the common people with extra games and gimmicks for the kids...
BMW selective Hi Beam

Enjoy your Tesla, I do ;-)

Do the adaptive lights only move while moving and turning? I placed the M3 in drive and turned the wheel but the lights remained stationary.

I've only driven at night a few times and never noticed.
The adaptive/matrix headlights are on the 2021s BUT due to US old headlight laws, they don't have any functionality yet (unlike in Europe). The headlight laws were recently updated and should take affect 2022. After that, Tesla will probably update the software to turn the adaptive functionality on.

Last edited:
The adaptive/matrix headlights are on the 2021s BUT due to US old headlight laws, they don't have any functionality yet (unlike in Europe). The headlight laws were recently updated and should take affect 2022. After that, Tesla will probably update the software to turn the adaptive functionality on.
The headlight laws weren’t actually officially updated yet, the wording in the infrastructure bill was that within two years the headlights regulations needed to be updated to support the adaptive headlights. So until the regulations are actually updated, we won’t get the new functionality.

For at least the later part of 2021 I believe only the performance model Y got the same adaptive/matrix headlights that the model 3 got. At least if I look at the configurator right now, I can see the headlights changing when selecting performance vs long range, so maybe that is still true for 2022 models, though Tesla doesn't make changes based off model years, as we've seen with the recent updates to include amd ryzen chips and also lithium ion batteries. I don't know if anyone knows for sure whether they'll add matrix headlights to all model y's in the future, but I'd would be a little surprised that they don't eventually consolidate to only use the adaptive/matrix headlights for all model 3 and y's in the future, as besides parts availability, I would assume it would make production easier.

They're "matrix" headlights in the 2022, M3's ( I have one). They're just a handful of LEDs crammed in there. Hence the light show etc.

"Adaptive" move as your steering wheel moves to a corner in the road. When you turn your wheel the lights move in that direction.

Definitely not in the 3s and highly doubtful for Ys even if Performance.

My 2022 Model 3 has the new matrix headlights, but I don't see the lights move with steering when driving. It's one of the things that I missed from my prior car. The infrastructure bill that was recently passed, with a clause that within 2 years the transportation secretary will need to make adjustments to legalize adaptive driving beam headlights. Until they amend the current headlight rules, the adaptive beams are not allowed to be enabled. (They can be installed but just use the normal functions.)
Just to be clear, adaptive headlights (moving with your steering wheel) have been legal in the US for a long time. I had a 20 year old car with them.

The Matrix headlights (ability to selectively illuminate portions rather than just high / low) are not legal in the US yet. Presumably Tesla anticipates them becoming legal at some point with them fitting these lights to all the Model 3s and Ys (they are a fair bit more expensive than the old LED headlights).

• Helpful
Reactions: H43lio and lUtriaNt