Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 Adaptive Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed-

Associated Press: US approves new headlights that won't blind oncoming drivers.

I would love to see this implemented soon in an update. I would have to imagine if they are interested in enabling the feature, and why would they put these more expensive matrix units in the cars unless they are, it has been in testing for some time now.

Actually- is this not already enabled in markets outside of the US? Can anyone confirm? It doesn't sound like anyone has this function in any Model 3 unless I'm mistake?

Indeed-

Associated Press: US approves new headlights that won't blind oncoming drivers.

I would love to see this implemented soon in an update. I would have to imagine if they are interested in enabling the feature, and why would they put these more expensive matrix units in the cars unless they are, it has been in testing for some time now.

Actually- is this not already enabled in markets outside of the US? Can anyone confirm? It doesn't sound like anyone has this function in any Model 3 unless I'm mistake?
Not enabled anywhere yet.

I have a 2007 Lexus with adaptive headlights and while nice to have don't really make a big difference in driving. As others have mentioned the new-ish matrix headlights on the Model 3 offer a ton of functionality beyond traditional adaptive headlights but it's a matter of waiting for US regulations to catch up to the technology as it has in Europe.

Does anyone know if it’s just the performance model 3 with the matrix headlights or does the long range have it too? I’ve seen both in person and they look identical but it seems like people are saying only the performance M3/MY have it.

I have a M3 LR AWD built March 2021 and it has the matrix lights.

My understanding is that at some point it became standard on all of the M3, and that it is the MY where it is only delivered on the performance.

ETA: To be clear, by "has the matrix lights" I mean it has the hardware. It does not have software for it, other than displaying TESLA when you do the light show.

I have a 2007 Lexus with adaptive headlights and while nice to have don't really make a big difference in driving. As others have mentioned the new-ish matrix headlights on the Model 3 offer a ton of functionality beyond traditional adaptive headlights but it's a matter of waiting for US regulations to catch up to the technology as it has in Europe.
No you don't. Don't confuse automatic high beams or adaptive cornering headlights with adaptive headlight technology that European cars have. North American cars have never had that technology enabled. What is being discussed is the use of an array of LED's that can be independently dimmed according to oncoming traffic, lighting or driving conditions. This has never been allowed in the USA (and Canada largely because we get what you get) until now. It's possible that the Tesla matrix headlights have the capability and it's a matter of Tesla unlocking the software but the only way to know for sure is to find out if Euro Teslas have the same or different headlights as I know plenty of BMW owners have tried to code their North American ICON Adaptive LED headlights to behave like the Euro ones but the results are not as good.

Last edited:
This has never been allowed in the USA (and Canada largely because we get what you get) until now.
Apparently, true adaptive headlights have been legal in Canada since April 2018. I suspect that Tesla hasn't implemented it in Canada yet so they don't have to deal with something that would have to differentiate US and Canada software (and possibly hardware).

So to summarize this thread, are below statements correct?

- Although 2022 Model 3 has Matrix (LED) headlights, they are not actually performing the selective dimming (matrix) function on high beams yet, anywhere, not just in US. This may be enabled by Tesla in the future (as in the light show)

- Although 2022 Model 3 has Matrix (LED) headlights, they are not adaptive. Meaning they do not turn left/right with turns, or up/down with road vertical angle. This cannot be enabled by Tesla in the future on current hardware.

Correct?

- Although 2022 Model 3 has Matrix (LED) headlights, they are not actually performing the selective dimming (matrix) function on high beams yet, anywhere, not just in US. This may be enabled by Tesla in the future (as in the light show)

- Although 2022 Model 3 has Matrix (LED) headlights, they are not adaptive. Meaning they do not turn left/right with turns, or up/down with road vertical angle. This cannot be enabled by Tesla in the future on current hardware.

Correct?
I don’t think it’s impossible for them to add vertical and horizontal aiming since the headlights are electrically adjustable in those directions. But they haven’t done so for whatever reason

Correct?

The recent ruling from the NHTSA about "Adaptive Driving Beams" (ADB) uses the word "Adaptive" for the functionality that matrix headlights enable. That ruling is being discussed at Full matrix headlight functionality just approved by NHTSA!, where you can find links to the document.

To my understanding the matrix behavior is a superset of what you get with headlights that pivot left and right. In other words, the side-most pixels in a matrix system aim out at an angle.

Does that mean all 2021 models have them? I think the one we are buying was built in September or October 2020 based on the CarFax report.

If you're not sure of the build date then you could just look at the lights. See images in this post for reference:
Full matrix headlight functionality just approved by NHTSA!. The thing labeled "Projector Headlight" is the matrix light. It's the round lens on the right that many people mistake for a bulb.